Washington County, Tennessee
Washington County was founded on November 15, 1777 from western territory known as the Washington District. This county was named in honor of U.S. President George Washington (1732–1799)
The Washington County Seat is located in Jonesborough also, the county government website is www.washingtoncountytn.org/ .
Areas bordering to Washington County are Sullivan County (north), Carter County (east), Unicoi County (south), Greene County (west) and Hawkins County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Washington County include Gray, Johnson City, Jonesborough, Midway, Oak Grove .
Washington County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Washington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
Washington County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Washington County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Emmanuel School of Religion, Restoration Movement Archives, One Walker Drive, Johnson City, TN 37601 423-926-6198
- Jonesborough-Washington County History Museum, (Heritage Alliance), 117 Boone Street, Jonesborough, TN 37659 423-753-1015
- Tipton-Haynes Historical Site, 2620 South Roan Street, PO Box 225, Johnson City, TN 37605 423-926-3631
- Tennessee Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Washington County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Washington County
- Washington County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Washington County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Washington County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Washington County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Washington County.
Washington County Courthouse and Government Records
Washington County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Washington County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Washington County courthouse in 1839.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Washington County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 218, 100 Main St., Jonesborough, TN 37659
- Phone: (423) 753-1621
- Marriage Records: 1787
- Probate Records: 1779
- Washington County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 69, Jonesborough, TN 37659
- Phone: (423) 753-1644
- Land & Deed Records: 1782
- Washington County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Washington County Justice Center 108 West Jackson Blvd., Suite 1210, Jonesborough, TN 37659
- Phone: 423-753-1736
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1836
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1809
- County Court Minutes: 1778
- Washington County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 110 E. Main St., Jonesborough, TN 37659
- Phone: (423) 753-1672
- Tax Records: 1778-1781, 1787, 1790-1853, 1856-1871, 1875-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Washington County Health Department, Washington County / Johnson City Health Center, 219 Princeton Road, Johnson City, TN 37601; (423) 975-2200 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Washington County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Washington County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Washington County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Washington Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Washington Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Washington Co. TN Census Records
Washington Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Washington Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Washington Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. TN General and History Websites
Washington Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. TN Military Records