Sullivan County, Tennessee
Sullivan County, Tennessee Facts
When was Sullivan County, TN Created?
Sullivan County was founded on October 18, 1779 from Washington County, NC. This county was named in honor of Governor of New Hampshire John Sullivan (1740–1795).
What is the County Seat of Sullivan County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Blountville also, the county government website is www.sullivancountytn.gov/ .
What counties are adjacent to Sullivan County, TN?
Bordering counties are Washington County, VA (northeast), Bristol County, VA (northeast), Johnson County (east), Carter County (southeast), Washington County (southwest), Hawkins County (west) and Scott County, VA (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Sullivan County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Bloomingdale, Blountville, Bluff City, Bristol, Colonial Heights, Kingsport, Spurgeon, Sullivan Gardens, Walnut Hill .
Sullivan County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Sullivan County Courthouse?
Sullivan County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Sullivan County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Sullivan County courthouse in 1863, County Clerks records were destroyed.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Sullivan County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 3258 Hwy 126, Suite 101, Blountville, TN 37617
- Phone: (423) 323-6428
- Marriage Records: 1863
- Probate Records: 1838
- Sullivan County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 3411 Highway 126, Suite 101, Blountville, TN 37617
- Phone: (423) 323-6420
- Land & Deed Records: 1775
- Sullivan County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 140 Blountville Bypass, Blountville, TN 37617-0585
- Phone: 423-279-2752
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1852
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1879
- County Court Minutes: 1861
- Sullivan County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 3411 Hwy. 126, Suite 103, Blountville, TN 37617
- Phone: (423) 323-6455
- Tax Records: 1796, 1797, 1812, 1837, 1877-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Sullivan County Health Department, P. O. Box 630, 15 4 Blountville Bypass, Blountville, TN 37617; (423) 279-2777 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Sullivan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Sullivan County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Sullivan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Sullivan County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Sullivan County can be found for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Sullivan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sullivan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sullivan Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Sullivan County, TN?
- Sullivan County Archives, P.O. Box 3179, Blountville , TN 37617;
Phone: (423) 323-4660
- Sullivan County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 568, Blountville, TN 37617
- King College, E. W. King Memorial Library, 1350 King College Road, Bristol, TN 37620 423-652-4716
- Rocky Mount Historical Association, Rocky Mount Museum, 200 Hyder Hill Road, PO Box 160, Piney Flats, TN 37686 423-538-7396
- Sullivan County Public Library, 1655 Blountville Blvd., PO Box 510, Blountville, TN 37617 423-279-2714
Sullivan County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Sullivan County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Sullivan County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Sullivan County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Sullivan County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Sullivan Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Sullivan Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Sullivan Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Sullivan Co. TN Census Records
Sullivan Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Sullivan Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Sullivan Co. TN General and History Websites
Sullivan Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Sullivan Co. TN Military Records