Smith County, Tennessee
Smith County, Tennessee Facts
When was Smith County, TN Created?
Smith County was founded on October 26, 1799 from Sumner County and Indian lands. This county was named in honor of American Revolutionary War officer and U.S. Senator Daniel Smith (1748–1818).
What is the County Seat of Smith County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Carthage also, the county government website is unknown .
What counties are adjacent to Smith County, TN?
Bordering counties are Macon County (north), Jackson County (northeast), Putnam County (east), DeKalb County (southeast), Williamson County (west) and Trousdale County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Smith County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Carthage, Gordonsville, South Carthage .
Smith County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Smith County Courthouse?
Smith County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Smith County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Smith County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 122 Turner High Circle, Suite 101, Carthage, TN 37030
- Phone: (615) 735-9833
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1805
- Smith County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 122 Turner High Circle, Suite 113, Carthage, Tn 37030
- Phone: (615) 735-1760
- Land & Deed Records:1799
- Smith County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 211 North Main Street Smith County Courthouse, Carthage, TN 37030
- Phone: 615-735-0500
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1825
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1811
- County Court Minutes: 1799
- Smith County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 122 Turner High Circle, Suite 106, Carthage, TN 37030
- Phone: (615) 735-1750
- Tax Records: 1837, 1838, 1860, 1866-1869, 1872, 1873, 1876-1879, 1885 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Smith County Health Department, 303 High Street, North, Carthage, TN 37030-1429;(615) 735-0242 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Smith County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Smith County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Smith County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Smith County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Smith County can be found for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Smith Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Smith Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Smith Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Smith County, TN?
- Smith County Archives, P.O. Box 112, Carthage , TN 37030; Phone: (615) 735-0200
- Kingsport City Archives, 400 Broad Street, Kingsport, TN 37660; Phone: (423) 224-2559
- Smith County Historical And Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 112, Carthage 37030
- Bristol Public Library, 701 Goode Street, Bristol, VA 24201 276-669-9444
- Smith County Public Library, 215 Main Street North, Carthage, TN 37030 615-735-1326
Smith County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Smith County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Smith County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Smith County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Smith County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Smith Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Smith Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Smith Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Smith Co. TN Census Records
Smith Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Smith Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Smith Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Smith Co. TN General and History Websites
Smith Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Smith Co. TN Military Records