Putnam County, Tennessee
Putnam County, Tennessee Facts
When was Putnam County, TN Created?
Putnam County was founded on February 2, 1842 from White County, Jackson County, Overton County, Smit Countyh and Fentress County. This county was named in honor of American Revolutionary War officer Israel Putnam (1718–1790).
What is the County Seat of Putnam County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Cookeville also, the county government website is www.putnamcountytn.gov/ .
What counties are adjacent to Putnam County, TN?
Bordering counties are Overton County (northeast), Cumberland County (east), White County (south), DeKalb County (southwest), Smith County (west) and Jackson County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Putnam County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Algood, Baxter, Cookeville, Monterey .
Putnam County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Putnam County Courthouse?
Putnam County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Putnam County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There were fires at the Putnam County courthouse in the 1860s and in 1898 most early records were destroyed.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Putnam County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 220, 121 South Dixie Avenue, Cookeville, TN 38501
- Phone: (931) 526-7106
- Marriage Records: 1879
- Probate Records: 1876
- Putnam County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 300 East Spring Street, Cookeville, TN 38501
- Phone: (931) 526-7101
- Land & Deed Records: 1854
- Putnam County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Room 1C, Suite 49A 421 East Spring Street, Cookeville, TN 38501
- Phone: 931-528-1508
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1895
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1842
- County Court Minutes: 1894
- Putnam County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 300 East Spring St, Room 1, Cookeville, TN 38501
- Phone: (931) 528-8428
- Tax Records: 1854, 1855, 1883, 1884, 1893-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Putnam County Health Department, 1 21 South Dixie Avenue, Cookeville, TN 38501-3401; (931) 528-2531 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Putnam County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Putnam County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Putnam County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Putnam County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Putnam County can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Putnam Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Putnam Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Putnam Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Putnam County, TN?
Putnam County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Putnam County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Putnam County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Putnam County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Putnam County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Putnam Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Putnam Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Putnam Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Putnam Co. TN Census Records
Putnam Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Putnam Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Putnam Co. TN General and History Websites
Putnam Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Putnam Co. TN Military Records