Moore County, Tennessee
Moore County, Tennessee Facts
When was Moore County, TN Created?
Moore County was founded on December 14, 1871 from Bedford County, Franklin County, Coffee County and Lincoln County. This county was named in honor of Tennessee state legislator William Moore.
What is the County Seat of Moore County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Lynchburg also, the county government website is www.lynchburgtenn.com/ .
What counties are adjacent to Moore County, TN?
Bordering counties are Coffee County (northeast), Franklin County (southeast), Lincoln County (southwest) and Bedford County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Moore County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Lynchburg .
Moore County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Moore County Courthouse?
Moore County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Moore County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Moore County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: P.O. Box 206, Courthouse, Lynchburg, TN 37352
- Phone: (931) 759-7346
- Marriage Records: 1872
- Probate Records: 1872
- Moore County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 206, Lynchburg, TN 37352
- Phone: (931) 759-7913
- Land & Deed Records: 1872
- Moore County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 196 Main Street, Suite 404m Lynchburg, TN 37352
- Phone: 931-759-7208
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1872
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1872
- County Court Minutes: 1872
- Moore County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 206, Courthouse, Lynchburg, TN 37352
- Phone: (931) 759-7044
- Tax Records: 1872-1874, 1880-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Moore County Health Department, Metro-Moore Health Facility, 251 Majors Blvd. , Lynchburg, TN 37352; (931) 759-4251 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Moore County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Moore County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Moore County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Moore County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Moore County can be found for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Moore Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Moore Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1880. Moore Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Moore County, TN?
- Moore County Archives, 2370 Bartlett Hollow Rd., Petersburg , TN 37144; Phone: (931) 684-8067
- Moore County Public Library, 17 Majors Blvd., PO Box 602, Lynchburg, TN 37352 931-759-7285
- Motlow State Community College, Crouch Library, 6015 Ledford Mill Road, PO Box 8500, Lynchburg, TN 37352 931-393-1670
Moore County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Moore County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Moore County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Moore County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Moore County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Moore Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Moore Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Moore Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Moore Co. TN Census Records
Moore Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Moore Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Chestnut Ridge Cousins (chestnutridgecousins.org) Chestnut Ridge Cousins is a genealogical organization, formed in 2002, committed to sharing family history with all our cousins. The Chestnut Ridge area is located in Middle Tennessee where the current Bedford, Lincoln, Marshall, and Moore counties all come together.
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
Moore Co. TN General and History Websites
Moore Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Moore Co. TN Military Records