Lincoln County, Tennessee
Genealogy and Facts
Lincoln County, Tennessee genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Lincoln Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Lincoln County was founded on November 14, 1809 from Bedford County. This county was named in honor of U.S. Secretary of War Benjamin Lincoln (1733–1810).
The Lincoln County Seat is located in Fayetteville also, the county government website is www.lincolncountytngov.com/ .
Areas bordering to Lincoln County are Bedford County (north), Moore County (northeast), Franklin County (east), Madison County, AL (south), Limestone County, AL (southwest), Giles County (west) and Marshall County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Lincoln County include Fayetteville, Petersburg .
Lincoln County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lincoln Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lincoln Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lincoln Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lincoln County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lincoln County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Lincoln County Genealogical Society, 1508 Washington Street, Fayetteville, TN 37334; (931) 625-2939
- Lincoln County Archives, 1000-B Washington St. West, Fayetteville , TN 37334; Phone: (931) 732-4214
- Fayetteville-Lincoln County Public Library, 400 Rocky Knob Lane, Fayetteville, TN 37334 931-433-3286
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lincoln County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Lincoln County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lincoln County
- Lincoln County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lincoln County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Lincoln County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Lincoln County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Lincoln County.
Lincoln County Courthouse and Government Records
Lincoln County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Lincoln County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Lincoln County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 112 Main Avenue St, Ste. 102, Fayetteville, TN 37334
- Phone: 931-433-2454
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1809
- Lincoln County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 112 Main Avenue South, Room 104, Fayetteville, TN 37334
- Phone: (931) 433-5366
- Land & Deed Records: 1810
- Lincoln County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Room 203 112 Main Avenue, Fayetteville, TN 37334
- Phone: 931-433-2334
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1838
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1849
- County Court Minutes: 1810
- Lincoln County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 112 Main Avenue South, Room 105, Fayetteville, Tennessee 37334
- Phone: (931) 433-5409
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
- Lincoln County Health Department, 1000 Washington Street, West, Suite A, Fayetteville, TN 37334; (931) 433-3231 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time). Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Lincoln County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Lincoln County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Lincoln County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lincoln Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lincoln Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lincoln Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lincoln Co. TN Census Records
Lincoln Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lincoln Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Lincoln Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Lincoln Co. Biographies (usgwarchives.net)
- Chestnut Ridge Cousins (chestnutridgecousins.org) Chestnut Ridge Cousins is a genealogical organization, formed in 2002, committed to sharing family history with all our cousins. The Chestnut Ridge area is located in Middle Tennessee where the current Bedford, Lincoln, Marshall, and Moore counties all come together.
- Nichols and Related Families (mynicholsfamily.com)
Lincoln Co. TN General and History Websites
Lincoln Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lincoln Co. TN Military Records