Lauderdale County, Tennessee
Genealogy and Facts
Lauderdale County, Tennessee genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Lauderdale Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Lauderdale County was founded on November 24, 1835 from Dyer County, Tipton County and Haywood County. This county was named in honor of James Lauderdale, who was killed in the War of 1812.
The Lauderdale County Seat is located in Ripley also, the county government website is www.lauderdalecountytn.org .
Areas bordering to Lauderdale County are Dyer County (north), Crockett County (east), Haywood County (southeast), Tipton County (south) and Mississippi County, AR (west) .
Cities and towns located in Lauderdale County include Gates, Halls, Henning, Ripley .
Lauderdale County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lauderdale Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lauderdale Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lauderdale Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lauderdale County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lauderdale County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Lauderdale County Archives, 957 Doctor Hall Road, Halls, TN 38040;
Phone: (731) 836-7073
- Lauderdale County Historical Society, 957 Doctor Hall Road, Halls, TN 38040-8727; Phone: (901) 836-7073
- Alex Haley Museum Assocation, 200 South Church Street, PO Box 500, Henning, TN 38041 731-738-2240
- Halls Public Library, 110 N. Church Street, PO Box 236, Halls, TN 38040 731-836-5302
- Lauderdale County Library, 120 Lafayette Street, Ripley, TN 38063 731-635-1872
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lauderdale County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Lauderdale County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lauderdale County
- Lauderdale County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lauderdale County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Lauderdale County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Lauderdale County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Lauderdale County.
Lauderdale County Courthouse and Government Records
Lauderdale County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Lauderdale County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Lauderdale County courthouse in 1869. Some records were destroyed.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Lauderdale County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: Courthouse, 100 Court Square, Ripley, TN 38063
- Phone: 731-635-2561
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1837
- Lauderdale County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 100 Court Square, Ripley, TN 38063
- Phone: (731) 635-2171
- Land & Deed Records: 1835
- Lauderdale County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 675 Hwy. 51 South, Ripley, TN 38063-0509
- Phone: 731-635-0101
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1856
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1836
- County Court Minutes:1836
- Lauderdale County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 100 Court Square, Courthouse, Ripley, TN 38063
- Phone: (731) 635-9561
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Lauderdale County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Lauderdale County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Lauderdale County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lauderdale Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lauderdale Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lauderdale Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lauderdale Co. TN Census Records
Lauderdale Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lauderdale Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Lauderdale Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lauderdale Co. TN General and History Websites
Lauderdale Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lauderdale Co. TN Military Records