Lauderdale County, Tennessee
Lauderdale County, Tennessee Facts
When was Lauderdale County, TN Created?
Lauderdale County was founded on November 24, 1835 from Dyer County, Tipton County and Haywood County. This county was named in honor of James Lauderdale, who was killed in the War of 1812.
What is the County Seat of Lauderdale County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Ripley also, the county government website is www.lauderdalecountytn.org .
What counties are adjacent to Lauderdale County, TN?
Bordering counties are Dyer County (north), Crockett County (east), Haywood County (southeast), Tipton County (south) and Mississippi County, AR (west) .
What cities and towns are in Lauderdale County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Gates, Halls, Henning, Ripley .
Lauderdale County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Lauderdale County Courthouse?
Lauderdale County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Lauderdale County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Lauderdale County courthouse in 1869. Some records were destroyed.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Lauderdale County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: Courthouse, 100 Court Square, Ripley, TN 38063
- Phone: 731-635-2561
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1837
- Lauderdale County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 100 Court Square, Ripley, TN 38063
- Phone: (731) 635-2171
- Land & Deed Records: 1835
- Lauderdale County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 675 Hwy. 51 South, Ripley, TN 38063-0509
- Phone: 731-635-0101
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1856
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1836
- County Court Minutes:1836
- Lauderdale County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 100 Court Square, Courthouse, Ripley, TN 38063
- Phone: (731) 635-9561
- Tax Records: 1836, 1843-1850, 1852-1856, 1873-1880, 1882-1883, 1885-1886, 1888-1897 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Lauderdale County Health Department, 500 Highway 51, South, Ripley, TN 38063; (731) 635-9711 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Lauderdale County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lauderdale County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Lauderdale County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Lauderdale County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Lauderdale County can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lauderdale Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lauderdale Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lauderdale Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lauderdale County, TN?
- Lauderdale County Archives, 957 Doctor Hall Road, Halls, TN 38040;
Phone: (731) 836-7073
- Lauderdale County Historical Society, 957 Doctor Hall Road, Halls, TN 38040-8727; Phone: (901) 836-7073
- Alex Haley Museum Assocation, 200 South Church Street, PO Box 500, Henning, TN 38041 731-738-2240
- Halls Public Library, 110 N. Church Street, PO Box 236, Halls, TN 38040 731-836-5302
- Lauderdale County Library, 120 Lafayette Street, Ripley, TN 38063 731-635-1872
Lauderdale County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Lauderdale County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Lauderdale County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Lauderdale County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Lauderdale County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lauderdale Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lauderdale Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lauderdale Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lauderdale Co. TN Census Records
Lauderdale Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Lauderdale Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lauderdale Co. TN General and History Websites
Lauderdale Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lauderdale Co. TN Military Records