Lake County, Tennessee
Lake County was founded on June 24, 1870 from Obion County. This county was named for Reelfoot Lake.
The Lake County Seat is located in Tiptonville also, the county government website is www.lakecountytn.com/ .
Areas bordering to Lake County are Fulton County, Kentucky (north), Obion County (east), Dyer County (south), Pemiscot County, MO (west) and New Madrid County, MO (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Lake County include Ridgely, Tiptonville .
Lake County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Lake County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
Lake County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lake Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Lake Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Lake Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lake County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lake County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Lake County Historical Society, 122 LeDuke Street, Tiptonville, TN 38079
- County Historian, Abigail Rice Hyde, 303 Lake Street, Ridgely, TN 38080; (901) 264-5841
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee (raogk.org)
- Tennessee Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lake County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Lake County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lake County
- Lake County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lake County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Lake County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Lake County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Lake County.
Lake County Courthouse and Government Records
Lake County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lake county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The staff in Lake County Court House is not adequate to handle personal requests. Mail received by them requesting genealogy information is forwarded to the County Historian
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Lake County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 116 S Court Street, Tiptonville, TN 38079
- Phone: 731-253-7582
- Marriage Records: 1883
- Probate Records: 1871
- Lake County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 229 Church Street Box 5, Tiptonville, TN 38079
- Phone: (731) 253-7462
- Land & Deed Records: 1870
- Lake County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 229 Church Street, Box 11, Tiptonville, TN 38079
- Phone: 731-253-7137
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1896
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1892
- County Court Minutes: 1870
- Lake County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 229 Church St., Tiptonville, TN 38079
- Phone: (731) 253-7382
- Tax Records: 1878, 1879 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Lake County Health Department, 400 Highway 78 South, Tiptonville, TN 38079; (731) 253-9954 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Lake County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Lake County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Lake County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Lake Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lake Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lake Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lake Co. TN Census Records
Lake Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lake Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Lake Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lake Co. TN General and History Websites
Lake Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lake Co. TN Military Records