Johnson County, Tennessee
Genealogy and Facts
Johnson County, Tennessee genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Johnson Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Johnson County was founded on January 2, 1836 from Carter County. This county was named in honor of Thomas Johnson, an early settler of Carter County along the Doe River.
The Johnson County Seat is located in Mountain City also, the county government website is www.johnsoncountytn.org .
Areas bordering to Johnson County are Washington County, VA (north), Grayson County, VA (northeast), Ashe County, NC (east), Watauga County, NC (southeast), Avery County, NC (south), Carter County (southwest) and Sullivan County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Johnson County include Mountain City, Shady Valley, Trade, Zionville .
Johnson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Johnson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Johnson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Johnson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Johnson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Johnson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Johnson County Archives, 222 W. Main Street, Mountain City , TN 37683;
Phone: (423) 727-9696
County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1, Mountain City 37683
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Johnson County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Johnson County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Johnson County
- Johnson County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Johnson County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Johnson County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Johnson County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Johnson County.
Johnson County Courthouse and Government Records
Johnson County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Johnson County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Johnson County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 222 Main St, Mountain City, TN 37683
- Phone: 423-727-9633
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1836
- Johnson County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 222 West Main Street, Mountain City, TN 37683
- Phone: (423) 727-7841
- Land & Deed Records: 1836
- Johnson County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: P.O. Box 73, Mountain City, TN 37683-0073
- Phone: 423-727-9012
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1856
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1836
- County Court Minutes: 1836
- Johnson County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 210 College Street
- Phone: (423) 727-7692
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Johnson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Johnson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Johnson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Johnson Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Johnson Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Johnson Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Johnson Co. TN Census Records
Johnson Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Johnson Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Johnson Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Johnson Co. TN General and History Websites
Johnson Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Johnson Co. TN Military Records