Johnson County, Tennessee
Johnson County, Tennessee Facts
When was Johnson County, TN Created?
Johnson County was founded on January 2, 1836 from Carter County. This county was named in honor of Thomas Johnson, an early settler of Carter County along the Doe River.
What is the County Seat of Johnson County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Mountain City also, the county government website is www.johnsoncountytn.org .
What counties are adjacent to Johnson County, TN?
Bordering counties are Washington County, VA (north), Grayson County, VA (northeast), Ashe County, NC (east), Watauga County, NC (southeast), Avery County, NC (south), Carter County (southwest) and Sullivan County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Johnson County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Mountain City, Shady Valley, Trade, Zionville .
Johnson County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Johnson County Courthouse?
Johnson County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Johnson County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Johnson County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 222 Main St, Mountain City, TN 37683
- Phone: 423-727-9633
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1836
- Johnson County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 222 West Main Street, Mountain City, TN 37683
- Phone: (423) 727-7841
- Land & Deed Records: 1836
- Johnson County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: P.O. Box 73, Mountain City, TN 37683-0073
- Phone: 423-727-9012
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1856
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1836
- County Court Minutes: 1836
- Johnson County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 210 College Street
- Phone: (423) 727-7692
- Tax Records: 1836-1844, 1863, 1869-1875, 1879-1885, 1887-1891, 1893-1895, 1898-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Johnson County Health Department, 715 West Main Street, Mountain City, TN 37683-0027; (423) 727-9731 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Johnson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Johnson County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Johnson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Johnson County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Johnson County can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Johnson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Johnson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Johnson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Johnson County, TN?
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Johnson County Archives, 222 W. Main Street, Mountain City , TN 37683;
Phone: (423) 727-9696
County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1, Mountain City 37683
Johnson County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Johnson County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Johnson County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Johnson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Johnson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Johnson Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Johnson Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Johnson Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Johnson Co. TN Census Records
Johnson Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Johnson Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Johnson Co. TN General and History Websites
Johnson Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Johnson Co. TN Military Records