Jefferson County, Tennessee
Jefferson County was founded on June 11, 1792 from Greene County and Hawkins County. This county was named in honor of U.S. President and Founding Father Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826).
The Jefferson County Seat is located in Dandridge also, the county government website is www.jeffersoncountytn.gov/ .
Areas bordering to Jefferson County are Hamblen County (northeast), Cocke County (east), Sevier County (south), Knox County (west) and Grainger County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Jefferson County include Baneberry, Dandridge, Jefferson City, New Market, White Pine .
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
Jefferson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Jefferson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Jefferson County Archives, Room 203, Jefferson County Courthouse, P.O. Box 1193
Dandridge, TN 37725; 865-397-4904
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 267, Jefferson City 37760; (865) 397-4904
- Jefferson County Historical Society, P.O. Box 325, Dandridge 37725
- Carson Newman College, Stephens-Burnett Library, Mildred L. Iddens Special Collections, 1634 Russell Avenue, C-N 71997, Jefferson City, TN 37760 865-471-3542
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee (raogk.org)
- Tennessee Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Jefferson County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Jefferson County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Jefferson County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Jefferson County.
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Jefferson County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Jefferson County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Jefferson County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: PO Box 710, Dandridge, TN 37725
- Phone: 865-397-2935
- Marriage Records: 1792
- Probate Records: 1792
- Jefferson County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 202 West Main Street, Dandridge, TN 37725
- Phone: (865) 397-2918
- Land & Deed Records: 1792
- Jefferson County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 765 Justice Center Drive, Dandridge, TN 37725-0671
- Phone: 865-397-2786
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1836
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1809
- County Court Minutes: 1792
- Jefferson County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: ?
- Phone: (865) 397-3326
- Tax Records: 1800, 1822-1829, 1836, 1853-1872, 1875-1893, 1895-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Jefferson County Health Department, P. O. Box 130, 931 Industrial Park Road, Suite 200, Dandridge, TN 37725-0130; 865) 397-3930 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Jefferson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Jefferson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Jefferson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Jefferson Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jefferson Co. TN Census Records
Jefferson Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jefferson Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Jefferson Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. TN General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. TN Military Records