Jackson County, Tennessee
Jackson County, Tennessee Facts
When was Jackson County, TN Created?
Jackson County was founded on November 6, 1801 from Smith County and Indian lands. This county was named in honor of U.S. President Andrew Jackson (1767–1845).
What is the County Seat of Jackson County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Gainesboro also, the county government website is www.jacksonco.com .
What counties are adjacent to Jackson County, TN?
Bordering counties are Clay County (north), Overton County (east), Putnam County (south), Smith County (southwest) and Macon County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Jackson County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Gainesboro .
Jackson County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jackson County Courthouse?
Jackson County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Jackson County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There were fires at the Jackson County courthouse in 1872 and 1926, most early records were destroyed.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Jackson County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 101 East Hull Avenue, PO Box 346, Gainesboro, TN 38562
- Phone: 931-268-9212
- Marriage Records: 1872
- Probate Records: 1872
- Jackson County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 301, Gainesboro, TN 38562
- Phone: (931) 268-9012
- Land & Deed Records: 1872
- Jackson County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: P.O. Box 205, Gainesboro, TN 38562-0205
- Phone: 931-268-9314
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1840
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1872
- County Court Minutes: 1872
- Jackson County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 281, Gainesboro, TN 38562
- Phone: (931) 268-0246
- Tax Records: 1802, 1803, 1812, 1836, 1872-1874, 1878-1888, 1890-1899 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Jackson County Health Department, 744 School Drive , Gainesboro, TN 38562-0312; (931) 268-0218 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Jackson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jackson County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Jackson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Jackson County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Jackson County can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jackson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jackson County, TN?
- Jackson County Archives, 379 Glenn Jones Road, Gainesboro , TN 38562; Phone: (931) 268-2933
- Jackson County Historical Society
- Charles Ralph Holland Memorial Library, 205 W. Hull Avenue, PO Box 647, Gainesboro, TN 38562 931-268-9190
- Granville Museum, PO Box 26, Granville, Tennessee 38564
Jackson County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Jackson County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Jackson County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Jackson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Jackson County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Jackson Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jackson Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jackson Co. TN Census Records
Jackson Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Jackson Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. TN General and History Websites
Jackson Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. TN Military Records