Haywood County, Tennessee
Haywood County, Tennessee Facts
When was Haywood County, TN Created?
Haywood County was founded in November 3, 1823 from Madison County (Later, part of Haywood County was taken to create Lauderdale County and Crockett County). This county was named in honor of Judge John Haywood (1762–1826), called "the father of Tennessee history."
What is the County Seat of Haywood County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Brownsville also, the county government website is www.haywoodcountybrownsville.com .
What counties are adjacent to Haywood County, TN?
Bordering counties are Crockett County (north), Madison County (east), Hardeman County (southeast), Fayette County (south), Tipton County (west) and Lauderdale County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Haywood County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Brownsville, Nutbush, Stanton .
Haywood County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Haywood County Courthouse?
Haywood County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Haywood County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. Record Loss of marriages from 1823 to 1858
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Haywood County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 1 North Washington, Brownsville, TN 38012
- Phone: 731-772-2362
- Marriage Records: 1859
- Probate Records: 1826
- Haywood County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 1 North Washington, Brownsville, TN 38012
- Phone: (731) 772-0332
- Land & Deed Records: 1823
- Haywood County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Haywood County Justice Complex 100 South Dupree Street, Brownsville, TN 38012
- Phone: 731-772-1112
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1842
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1840
- County Court Minutes: 1823
- Haywood County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 11 South Lafayette Avenue, Brownsville, TN. 38012
- Phone: 731-772-0432
- Tax Records: 1825-1827, 1834-1835, 1837-1840, 1845-1854, 1860, 1865-1869, 1872-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Haywood County Health Department, 950 East Main St., Brownsville, TN 38012; (731) 772-0463 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Haywood County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Haywood County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Haywood County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Haywood County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Haywood County can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Haywood Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Haywood Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Haywood Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Haywood County, TN?
- West Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 111046, Memphis, 38111
- Elma Ross Public Library, 1011 East Main Street, Brownsville, TN 38012 731-772-9534
- Haywood County Museum, 127 N. Grand Avenue; College Hill Center, PO Box 207, Brownsville, TN 38012 731-772-0380
Haywood County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Haywood County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Haywood County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Haywood County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Haywood County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Haywood Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Haywood Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Haywood Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Haywood Co. TN Census Records
Haywood Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Haywood Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Haywood Co. TN General and History Websites
Haywood Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Haywood Co. TN Military Records