Hawkins County, Tennessee
Hawkins County, Tennessee Facts
When was Hawkins County, TN Created?
Hawkins County was founded on January 6, 1787 from Sullivan County, (originally named Spencer County; renamed in 1786). This county was named in honor of U.S. Senator Benjamin Hawkins (1754–1816).
What is the County Seat of Hawkins County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Rogersville also, the county government website is www.hawkinscounty.org .
What counties are adjacent to Hawkins County, TN?
Bordering counties are Scott County, VA (north), Sullivan County (east), Greene County (south), Hamblen County (southwest), Grainger County (southwest) and Hancock County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Hawkins County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Bulls Gap, Church Hill, Kingsport, Mount Carmel, Rogersville, Surgoinsville .
Hawkins County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Hawkins County Courthouse?
Hawkins County Courthouse
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hawkins county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. There was a fire at the Hawkins County courthouse in 1863.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Hawkins County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 110 East Main Street, Suite 204, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Phone: 423-272-7002
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Probate Records: 1797
- Hawkins County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P.O. Box 235, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Phone: (423) 272-8304
- Land & Deed Records: 1788
- Hawkins County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 115 Justice Center Drive Suite 1237, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Phone: 423-272-3397
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1825
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1810
- County Court Minutes: 1827
- Hawkins County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 110 East Main Street, Room 201, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Phone: 423-272-8505
- Tax Records: 1809-1812, 1836, 1837, 1877-1880, 1886, 1892, 1893, 1899, 1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Hawkins County Health Department, P. O. Box 488, 201 Park Blvd., Rogersville, TN 37857-0488; (423) 272-7641 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Hawkins County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hawkins County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Hawkins County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Hawkins County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Hawkins County can be found for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hawkins Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hawkins Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hawkins Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hawkins County, TN?
- East Tennessee Historical Society, P.O. Box 1629, Knoxville 37901
- Hawkins County Archives, 955 East McKinney Avenue, Rogersville , TN 37857; Phone: (423) 921-0904
- Hawkins County Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 429, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Stamps Memorial Library, 407 E. Main Street, Rogersville, TN 37857 423-272-8710
- Bulls Gap Railroad Museum and Community Development Corp
Hawkins County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Hawkins County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Hawkins County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Hawkins County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Hawkins County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hawkins Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hawkins Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hawkins Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hawkins Co. TN Census Records
Hawkins Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Hawkins Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hawkins Co. TN General and History Websites
Hawkins Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hawkins Co. TN Military Records