Grainger County, Tennessee
Grainger County, Tennessee Facts
When was Grainger County, TN Created?
Grainger County was founded on April 22, 1796 from Hawkins County and Knox County. This county was named in honor of Mary Grainger Blount, wife of William Blount and "first lady" of the Southwest Territory, which later became Tennessee.
What is the County Seat of Grainger County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Rutledge also, the county government website is www.graingertn.com .
What counties are adjacent to Grainger County, TN?
Bordering counties are Hancock County (northeast), Hawkins County (northeast), Hamblen County (east), Jefferson County (south), Knox County (southwest), Union County (west) and Claiborne County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Grainger County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Bean Station, Blaine, Rutledge, Washburn .
Grainger County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Grainger County Courthouse?
Grainger County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Grainger County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Grainger County courthouse in 1946.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Grainger County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: PO Box 116, Rutledge, TN 37861
- Phone: 865-828-3511
- Marriage Records: 1796
- Probate Records: 1833 (A few earlier ones in WP)
- Grainger County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P. O. Box 174, Rutledge, TN 37861
- Phone: (865) 828-3523
- Land & Deed Records: 1796
- Grainger County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: P.O. Box 157, Rutledge, TN 37861-0157
- Phone: 865-828-3605
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1848
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1810
- County Court Minutes: 1796
- Grainger County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: P.O. Box 82, Rutledge, TN 37861
- Phone: 865-828-5858
- Tax Records: 1797, 1799, 1805, 1810, 1826, 1836, 1851-1877, 1879-1882, 1885-1892, 1893-1900 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- Grainger County Health Department, 185 Justice Center Drive, P. O. Box 27 , Rutledge, TN 37861-0027; (865) 828-5247 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find Grainger County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Grainger County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for Grainger County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What Grainger County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for Grainger County can be found for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Grainger Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grainger Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grainger Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Grainger County, TN?
- Grainger County Archives, P.O. Box 408, Rutledge , TN 37861; Phone: (865) 850-8549
Grainger County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other Grainger County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Grainger County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Grainger County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Grainger County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Grainger Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Grainger Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Grainger Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Grainger Co. TN Census Records
Grainger Co. TN Cemeteries & Church Records
Grainger Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Grainger Co. TN General and History Websites
Grainger Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Grainger Co. TN Military Records