DeKalb County, Tennessee
DeKalb County, Tennessee Facts
When was DeKalb County, TN Created?
DeKalb County was founded on December 1837 from Cannon County, Warren County and White County. This county was named in honor of Johann de Kalb (1721–1780), a German-born baron who assisted the Continentals during the American Revolutionary War.
What is the County Seat of DeKalb County, TN?
The County Seat of government is located in Smithville# also, the county government website is www.smithvilletn.com .
What counties are adjacent to DeKalb County, TN?
Bordering counties are Putnam County (northeast), White County (east), Warren County (south), Cannon County (southwest), Williamson County (west) and Smith County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in DeKalb County, TN?
Cities and towns located in the county include Alexandria, Dowelltown, Liberty, Smithville .
DeKalb County Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the DeKalb County Courthouse?
DeKalb County Courthouse
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in DeKalb County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- DeKalb County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 732 S Congress Blvd Rm 102, Smithville, TN 37166
- Phone: 615-597-5177
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Probate Records: 1846
- DeKalb County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 1 Public Square, RM 201, Smithville, TN 37166
- Phone: (615) 597-4153
- Land & Deed Records: 1838
- DeKalb County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Dekalb County Courthouse One Public Square, Room 303, Smithville, TN 37166
- Phone: 615-597-5711
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1844
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1860
- County Court Minutes: 1838
- DeKalb County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: #1 Public Square, Room 202 Courthouse, Smithville, TN 37166
- Phone: (615) 597-5925
- Tax Records: 1839, 1857-1870, 1889-1891, 1893-1895, 1897, 1899 (located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives)
- DeKalb County Health Department, 254 Tiger Drive, Smithville, TN 37166-3504; (615) 597-7599 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Where can find DeKalb County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
DeKalb County vital records can be found at the Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Marriage license records are available from the county clerk who issued the marriage license. Court divorce orders may be obtained from the clerk of the court that granted the divorce.
You can search online for DeKalb County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Tennessee Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificates to mail.
What DeKalb County, TN census records are available?
Federal Population Schedules for DeKalb County can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
DeKalb Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeKalb Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeKalb Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for DeKalb County, TN?
- DeKalb County Genealogical Society, Justin Potter Library, 101 S. 1st St., Smithville, TN. 37166; We are located in the Justin Potter Library and have an extensive collection of Vertical files, Genealogical books, Census records and lots more.
- Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3016, Nashville 37219-0016
DeKalb County Genealogy Resources
Where can I connect with other DeKalb County, TN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in DeKalb County, TN?
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to DeKalb County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular DeKalb County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
DeKalb Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
DeKalb Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
DeKalb Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
DeKalb Co. TN Census Records
DeKalb Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
DeKalb Co. TN Church & Bible Records
DeKalb Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
DeKalb Co. TN General and History Websites
DeKalb Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
DeKalb Co. TN Military Records