DeKalb County, Tennessee
Genealogy and Facts
DeKalb County, Tennessee genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal DeKalb Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
DeKalb County was founded on December 1837 from Cannon County, Warren County and White County. This county was named in honor of Johann de Kalb (1721–1780), a German-born baron who assisted the Continentals during the American Revolutionary War.
The DeKalb County Seat is located in Smithville# also, the county government website is www.smithvilletn.com .
Areas bordering to DeKalb County are Putnam County (northeast), White County (east), Warren County (south), Cannon County (southwest), Wilson County (west) and Smith County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in DeKalb County include Alexandria, Dowelltown, Liberty, Smithville .
DeKalb County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
DeKalb Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeKalb Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. DeKalb Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
DeKalb County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of DeKalb County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- DeKalb County Genealogical Society, Justin Potter Library, 101 S. 1st St., Smithville, TN. 37166; We are located in the Justin Potter Library and have an extensive collection of Vertical files, Genealogical books, Census records and lots more.
- Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3016, Nashville 37219-0016
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- DeKalb County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- DeKalb County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in DeKalb County
- DeKalb County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for DeKalb County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About DeKalb County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in DeKalb County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the DeKalb County.
DeKalb County Courthouse and Government Records
DeKalb County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in DeKalb County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- DeKalb County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 732 S Congress Blvd Rm 102, Smithville, TN 37166
- Phone: 615-597-5177
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Probate Records: 1846
- DeKalb County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: 1 Public Square, RM 201, Smithville, TN 37166
- Phone: (615) 597-4153
- Land & Deed Records: 1838
- DeKalb County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: Dekalb County Courthouse One Public Square, Room 303, Smithville, TN 37166
- Phone: 615-597-5711
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1844
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1860
- County Court Minutes: 1838
- DeKalb County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: #1 Public Square, Room 202 Courthouse, Smithville, TN 37166
- Phone: (615) 597-5925
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
DeKalb County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to DeKalb County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular DeKalb County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
DeKalb Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
DeKalb Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
DeKalb Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
DeKalb Co. TN Census Records
DeKalb Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
DeKalb Co. TN Church & Bible Records
DeKalb Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
DeKalb Co. TN General and History Websites
DeKalb Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
DeKalb Co. TN Military Records