Coffee County, Tennessee
Genealogy and Facts
Coffee County, Tennessee genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Coffee Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Coffee County was founded on January 8, 1836 from Franklin County, Warren County and Bedford County. This county was named in honor of John Coffee (1772–1833), frontiersman, planter, and veteran of Creek War and War of 1812. .
The Coffee County Seat is located in Manchester also, the county government website is www.coffeecountytn.org .
Areas bordering to Coffee County are Cannon County (north), Warren County (northeast), Grundy County (east), Franklin County (south), Moore County (southwest), Bedford County (west) and Rutherford County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Coffee County include Hillsboro, Manchester, Tullahoma .
Coffee County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Coffee Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Coffee Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Coffee Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Coffee County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Coffee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Coffee County Archives, 1327 McArthur Drive, Suite One, Manchester, Tenn. 37355; Phone: (931) 455-4098
County Historical Society, 101 W. Fort St.,Box 2, Manchester 37355-7502
- Coffee County Lannom Memorial Library, 312 North Collins Street, Tullahoma, TN 37388 931-455-2460
- Coffee County-Manchester Public Library, 1005 Hillsboro Blvd., Manchester, TN 37355 931-723-5143
- Tennessee State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Coffee County Tennessee Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Coffee County, Tennessee Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Coffee County
- Coffee County, Tennessee Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Coffee County
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Coffee County (tn.gov) The purpose of these fact sheets is to help determine what sources are available for genealogical research about the people and places in Coffee County. Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of all the possible places one might search, it does cover the major publications and microfilms available at TSLA on the Coffee County.
Coffee County Courthouse and Government Records
Coffee County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently overlook the value of County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Buried away in Tennessee courthouses and archives everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many Tennessee residents.
The chances are great that your particular ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following information and facts indicates whatever birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and courtroom records will be in Coffee County or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The dates indicated below could be the first widely known documents for this county. There was a fire at the Coffee County courthouse in 1876, destroying some records.
Please get in touch with the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of workers will guide individuals in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the individual to complete the basic research.
- Coffee County Clerk maintains Marriage & Divorce records. It also has jurisdiction over probate cases. Wills, administrations, and all other records pertaining to probate are recorded in the respective county clerk's office. If the will or administration was contested, the records of these actions may be filed in the circuit court or chancery court.
- Address: 1327 Mcarthur St, Manchester, TN 37355
- Phone: 931-723-5106
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Probate Records: 1836
- Coffee County Register of Deeds has land records beginning with county organization, land records are available from the register of deeds at the Sevier county courthouse. Land and property records include transfer of real estate or personal property, mortgages, leases, surveys, and entries.
- Address: P O Box 178, Manchester, TN 37349
- Phone: (931) 723-5130
- Land & Deed Records:1836
- Coffee County Clerk of Circuit Court has jurisdiction over property disputes, and circuit courts oversee criminal cases, divorces, and adoptions. Early courts included courts of common pleas and quarter sessions.
- Address: 300 Hillsboro Blvd., Manchester, TN 37349
- Phone: 931-723-5110
- Chancery Court Minutes: 1872
- Circuit Court Minutes: 1852
- County Court Minutes: 1836
- Coffee County Property Assessor is responsible for the evaluation of all real property, the cadastral mapping of the county, valuation of all business personal property and maintaining ownership records. The property assessor prepares the tax rolls for the trustee and all the municipalities. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Address: 1341 McArthur Street, Suite 3, Manchester, TN 37355
- Phone: (931) 723-5126
- Tennessee Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Tennessee for current fees and application process.
Coffee County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Coffee County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Coffee County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Coffee Co. TN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Coffee Co. TN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Coffee Co. TN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Coffee Co. TN Census Records
Coffee Co. TN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Coffee Co. TN Church & Bible Records
Coffee Co. TN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Coffee Co. TN General and History Websites
Coffee Co. TN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Coffee Co. TN Military Records