Saluda County, South Carolina
Genealogy and Facts
Saluda County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Saluda Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Saluda County was established on 1896 from Edgefield County. The county was named for the Saluda River.
The Saluda County Seat is situated in Saluda plus the county government website is www.saludacountysc.com/
Areas adjacent to Saluda County are Newberry County (north), Lexington County (east), Aiken County (south), Edgefield County (southwest), Greenwood County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Saluda county include Batesburg-Leesville, Ridge Spring, Saluda, Ward.
Saluda County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Saluda County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Saluda County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Saluda County Courthouse and Government Records
Saluda County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Saluda County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women.
The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Saluda County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Saluda county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
- Saluda County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 E. Church St., Saluda, South Carolina 29138
- Saluda County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: 864-445-4500
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1896
- Saluda County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: 864-445-4500
- Land Records: 1896
- Court Records: 1896
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Saluda County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Saluda County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 613 Newberry Highway, Saluda, S.C. 29138
- Phone: 864-445-2141
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Saluda County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Saluda County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Saluda County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Saluda Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Saluda Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Saluda Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Saluda Co. SC Census Records
Saluda Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Saluda Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Saluda Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Saluda Co. SC General and History Websites
Saluda Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Saluda Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Saluda Co. SC Military Records
Saluda Co. SC Schools & Directories