Pickens County, South Carolina
Genealogy and Facts
Pickens County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Pickens Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Pickens County was established on 1826 from Pendleton District (at one time called Washington District). The county was named in honor of Andrew Pickens, Governor of South Carolina .
The Pickens County Seat is situated in Pickens plus the county government website is www.co.pickens.sc.us/
Areas adjacent to Pickens County are Transylvania County, North Carolina (north), Greenville County (east), Anderson County (south), Oconee County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Pickens county include Central, Clemson, Dacusville, Easley, Liberty, Norris, Pickens, Sunset, Six Mile.
Pickens County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Pickens Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Pickens Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pickens Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pickens Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Pickens County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Pickens County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pickens County Historical Society, PO Box 775, Pickens, SC 29671; phone: (864) 898-5963
- Central Heritage Society, 416 Church Street, Central, SC 29630; phone: (864) 639-2794
- Old Pendleton District Chapter of S.C.G.S., 247 Cross Hill Road, Easley, SC 29640-8857
- Pickens County Museum of Art & History, 307 Johnson Street, Pickens, SC 29671; Phone: (864) 898-5963
- Pickens County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pickens County
- Pickens County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pickens County
- USGenWeb Archives for Pickens County (usgwarchives.net)
Pickens County Courthouse and Government Records
Pickens County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Pickens County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women.
The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Pickens County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Pickens county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
- Pickens County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 214 E. Main Street, Pickens, SC 29671
- Pickens County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Address: 222 McDaniel AVe., B-5, Pickens, SC 29671
- Phone: 864-898-5868
- Land Records: 1828
- Pickens County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Address: 222 McDaniel Ave., B-16, Pickens, SC 29671 29671
- Phone: 864-898-5903
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1828
- Pickens County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Phone: 864-898-5857
- Court Records: 1823
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Pickens County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Pickens County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 200 McDaniel Ave., Pickens, SC 29671
- Phone: (864) 898-5965
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Pickens County: Anderson County in 1826 and Oconee County in 1868.
Pickens County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Pickens County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Pickens County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Pickens Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pickens Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Pickens Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Pickens Co. SC Census Records
Pickens Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Pickens Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Pickens Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pickens Co. SC General and History Websites
Pickens Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Pickens Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pickens Co. SC Military Records
Pickens Co. SC Schools & Directories