Florence County, South Carolina
Florence County was established on December 22, 1888 from Clarendon County, Darlington County, Marion County, and Williamsburg County. The county was named in honor of Florence Harllee, wife of Wilmington and Manchester Railroad founder W.W. Harllee.
The Florence County Seat is situated in Florence plus the county government website is florenceco.org/
Areas adjacent to Florence County are Williamsburg County (south), Marion County (east), Dillon County (north), Marlboro County (north), Darlington County (northwest), Sumter County (west), Lee County (west), Clarendon County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Florence county include Coward, Effingham, Florence, Johnsonville, Lake City, Mars Bluff, Olanta, Pamplico, Quinby, Scranton, Timmonsville.
Florence County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Florence County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Florence County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Florence Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Florence County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Florence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for South Carolina (raogk.org)
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Florence County Historical Society, PO Drawer 150, Florence, SC 29503; phone: (843) 662-3258
- Pee Dee Chapter, SCGS, Inc., PO Box 1428, Marion, SC 29571-1428
- Florence Heritage Foundation, PO Box 1909, Florence, SC 295031909
- Mars Bluff Historical Society, 6701 E. Palmetto Street, Florence, SC 29506; phone: (843) 662-3351
- The Florence City-County Historical Commission, 6701 E. Palmetto St. Florence,S .C .29506; 843-687-5151
- Florence County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Florence County
- Florence County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Florence County
- USGenWeb Archives for Florence County (usgwarchives.net)
Florence County Courthouse and Government Records
Florence County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Florence County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women.
The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Florence County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Florence county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
- Florence County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 180 North Irby Street
Florence, South Carolina 29501
- Florence County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: 843-665-3085
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1889
- Florence County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: (843) 665-3031
- Land Records: 1889
- Court Records: 1889
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Florence County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Florence County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 145 East Cheves Street, Florence, SC 29506
- Phone: (843) 661-4835
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
Florence County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Florence County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Florence County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Florence Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Florence Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Florence Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Florence Co. SC Census Records
Florence Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Florence Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Florence Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Florence Co. SC General and History Websites
Florence Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Florence Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Florence Co. SC Military Records
Florence Co. SC Schools & Directories