Charleston County, South Carolina
Charleston County was established on 1769 from Charleston District (formed in 1769) and includes the old St. Philip Parish, St. Michael Parish, Christ Church Parish, St. Andrew Parish, St. John Colleton Parish, and part of St. James Santee Parish.. The county was named in honor of King Charles II of England.
The Charleston County Seat is situated in Charleston plus the county government website is www.charlestoncounty.org/
Areas adjacent to Charleston County are Berkeley County (north), Georgetown County (northeast), Colleton County (west), Dorchester County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Charleston county include ?Awendaw, Hollywood, James Island, Kiawah Island, Lincolnville, McClellanville, Meggett, Mount Pleasant, Ravenel, Rockville, Seabrook Island, Sullivan's Island
Charleston County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Charleston County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Charleston County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Charleston Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Charleston Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Charleston Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Charleston Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Charleston County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Charleston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Charleston Chapter South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 20266, Charleston, SC 29413
- Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture, 125 Bull Street, Charleston, SC 29424; (843) 953-7609
- Charleston Library Society, 164 King Street, Charleston, SC 29401; (843) 723-9912
- Christ Church Parish Preservation Society, Inc., P.O. Box 165, Mount Pleasant, SC 29465; Telephone: (843) 884-4265
- Church Street Historic Foundation, 59 Church Street, Charleston, SC 29401
- Edisto Island Historic Preservation Society, 8123 Chisolm Plantation Rd., Edisto Island, SC 29438; (843) 869-1954
- Historic Charleston Foundation, 40 East Bay St., Charleston, SC 29401; (843) 723-1623
- Preservation Society of Charleston, PO Box 521, Charleston, SC 29402; (843) 722-4630
- St. James Santee Parish Historical Society, 2513 I'on Avenue, Sullivan's Island, SC 29482; (843) 883-3741
- The Huguenot Society of South Carolina , 138 Logan Street, Charleston, SC 29401.
- Jewish Historical Society Of South Carolina, 66 George Street, Charleston 29424-0001
- Charleston County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Charleston County
- Charleston County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Charleston County
- USGenWeb Archives for Charleston County (usgwarchives.net)
Charleston County Courthouse and Government Records
Charleston County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Charleston County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women.
Old Charleston County Courthouse
The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Charleston County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Charleston county. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Records of Charleston Circuit Court and Equity Circuit Districts and the Province of South Carolina (1671—1785) are housed in Charleston County.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
- Charleston County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 Broad Street, Suite 106, Charleston, SC 29401
- Charleston City Records are in Charleston County; Birth Records / Death Records from 1871 / 1821; Marriage Records from 1871; Land Records from 1858; Probate Records from 1790; Court Records from 1774
- Charleston County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Address: 101 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29401-2249
- Phone: (843) 958-4800
- Land Records: 1671
- Charleston County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (843) 958-5180
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1671
- Charleston County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases.
- Phone: (843) 958-5000
- Court Records: 1700
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Charleston County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Charleston County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: 3 Charleston Center Dr. , Charleston, SC 29401
- Phone: (843) 579-4500
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
In searching for genealogy records be sure to check the following counties as they were created from Charleston County: Colleton County in 1800 and Berkeley County in 1882.
Charleston County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Charleston County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Charleston County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Charleston Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Charleston Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in South Carolina
- South Carolina Delayed Births, 1766-1900 and City of Charleston, South Carolina Births, 1877-1901 (search.ancestry.com)
- Charleston, Charleston County, South Carolina Black Deaths 1871-89 (search.ancestry.com)
- Charleston, South Carolina, Marriage Records, 1877-1887 (search.ancestry.com)
- Charleston Observer (South Carolina), Marriages and Deaths (search.ancestry.com)
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- South Carolina Death Records 1950 - 1960 (archives.com)
- South Carolina Early Marriage Records 1641-1799 (archives.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Charleston Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Charleston Co. SC Census Records
Charleston Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Charleston Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Charleston Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Charleston Co. SC General and History Websites
Charleston Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Charleston Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Charleston Co. SC Military Records
Charleston Co. SC Schools & Directories
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 (search.ancestry.com)
- Charleston, South Carolina Directory, 1888-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- City Directories for Charleston, South Carolina For the years 1803, 1806, 1807, and 1813 (search.ancestry.com)
- The Charleston city guide : containing a full and accurate description of all places of interest in and around the city, and ot (search.ancestry.com)
- Directories for the City of Charleston, South Carolina for the Years 1816, 1819, 1822, 1825, and 1829 (search.ancestry.com)