Bamberg County, South Carolina
Genealogy and Facts
Bamberg County, South Carolina genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Bamberg Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Bamberg County was established on February 25, 1897 from Barnwell County. The county was named in honor of Francis Marion Bamberg, Confederate general in the American Civil War.
The Bamberg County Seat is situated in Bamberg plus the county government website is www.bambergcountysc.gov/
Areas adjacent to Bamberg County are Orangeburg County (north), Dorchester County (east), Colleton County (southeast), Hampton County (south), Allendale County (southwest), Barnwell County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Bamberg county include Bamberg, Denmark, Ehrhardt, Govan, Olar
Bamberg County does have Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Bamberg County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Bamberg County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Bamberg County Courthouse and Government Records
Bamberg County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the significance of Bamberg County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in South Carolina courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the desires and worries of the many South Carolina men and women.
The chances are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed document of at least several aspects of their lives in the Bamberg County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Bamberg County. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Records of Orangeburgh Circuit Court District, Court of Common Pleas, are housed in Bamberg County.
I highly recommend you call the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of employees will aid persons in locating the resources, however it is up to the particular person to complete the basic research.
- Bamberg County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2959 Main Highway, Bamberg, SC 29003
- Bamberg County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Phone: (803) 245-3008
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1897
- Bamberg County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions (Criminal) and Common Pleas (Civil) Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. The Clerk of Court is also responsible for Family Court which handles juvenile and domestic cases. Also records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Phone: (803) 245-3025
- Land Records: 1897
- Court Records: 1897
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
- Bamberg County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Bamberg County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Address: PO Box 360, 370 Log Branch Road, Bamberg, SC 29003
- Phone: (803) 245-5176
- Birth Records / Death Records: 1915 (There were no South Carolina birth or Death "certificates" before January 01, 1915)
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Bamberg County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Bamberg County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Bamberg County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Bamberg Co. SC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bamberg Co. SC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bamberg Co. SC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bamberg Co. SC Census Records
Bamberg Co. SC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bamberg Co. SC Church & Bible Records
Bamberg Co. SC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bamberg Co. SC General and History Websites
Bamberg Co. SC Immigration & Naturalization
Bamberg Co. SC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bamberg Co. SC Military Records
Bamberg Co. SC Schools & Directories