Providence County, Rhode Island
Providence County was established on June 22, 1703 as an Original County (originally called Providence Plantations until June 16, 1729). The county was named for Divine Providence..
The Providence County Seat is situated in Providence.
Areas adjoining Providence County are Norfolk County, Massachusetts (northeast), Bristol County, Massachusetts (east), Bristol County (southeast), Kent County (south), Windham County, Connecticut (west), Worcester County, Massachusetts (northwest).
Cities, towns, and villages (Villages are census division, but have no separate corporate existence from the they are in) located in Providence County consists of Burrillville (villages include Harrisville, Pascoag), Central Falls, Cranston, Cumberland (villages include Cumberland Hill, Valley Falls), East Providence, Foster, Glocester, Johnston, Lincoln (villages include Manville, Albion, Quinnville , Lonsdale , Saylesville, Lime Rock), North Providence, North Smithfield (villages include Branch Village , Forestdale, Primrose, Slatersville , Union Village , Waterford ), Pawtucket, Providence, Scituate, Smithfield (villages include Greenville), Woonsocket
Providence County vital records can be found at the Rhode Island Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Rhode Island for current fees and application process. Please be advised that in most cases you will receive your records more quickly from the City and Town locations than from the State Office
You can search online for Providence County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Providence County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Providence Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Providence Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Providence Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You will discover free down loadable in addition to printable census forms to aid with your research.
Providence County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Providence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Rhode Island State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Audubon Society of Rhode Island, 12 Sanderson Road, Smithfield, RI 02917; TEL: (401) 949-5454
- Blackstone Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 125, 1873 Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln, RI 02865; TEL: (401) 725-2847
- Burrillville Historical and Preservation Society, Box 93, Old Bridgeton School, 16 Laurel Hill Avenue, Pascoag, RI 02859; TEL: (401) 568-8534
- Cranston Historical Society, 1351 Cranston St, Cranston, RI 02920; ph: 401-944-9226
- East Providence Historical Society and Museum, P.O. Box 4774, Hunts Mills Road, East Providence, RI 02916; TEL: (401) 438-1750
- Elizabeth J. Johnson Pawtucket History Research Center, 30 Fruit St., Pawtucket, RI 02860; TEL (401) 725-2490
- Foster Preservation Society, Box 51, Foster Police Station, Howard Hill Road, Foster, RI 02825; TEL: (401) 647-2178
- Glocester Heritage Society, 1181 Main St., P.O. Box 269, Chepachet, RI 02814; 401-568-8967
- Historical Society of Smithfield, 220 Stillwater Road, Smithfield, RI 02917; TEL: (401) 231-7363
- Johnston Historical Society, 101 Putnam Pike Johnston, RI 02919; TEL: (401) 231-3380
- North Smithfield Heritage Association, c/o John J. Faricy, President. 802 Pound Hill Road, North Smithfield, RI 02896; Street address: 190 School Street, North Smithfield, RI 02896; TEL: (401) 766-0701
- Providence City Archives, City Hall, 25 Dorrance Street, Providence, RI 02903; (401) 421-7740; Early Providence Vital Records
- Rhode Island Black Heritage Society, 65 Weybosset Street, 2nd floor, Suite 29, Providence, RI 02903; TEL: (401) 751-3490
- Rhode Island State Library, State House, 2nd floor, Providence, RI 02903; Phone: (401) 222-2473
- Rhode Island Historical Society Library, 121 Hope Street, Providence, RI 02906; TEL: (401) 273-8107
- Woonsocket Historical and Preservation Society, 42 South Main Street, Garden Level, Woonsocket, RI 02895; TEL: (401) 356-0067
- Providence County, Rhode Island Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Providence County
- Providence County, Rhode Island Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Providence County
- USGenWeb Archives for Providence County (usgwarchives.net)
Providence County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Providence County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogy information. Hidden away in Rhode Island courthouses and archives everywhere are often the ambitions and frustrations of the many Rhode Island men and women.
The chances are very good that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Providence County court records. Even if your forebears is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should call the clerk's department to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will aid persons in obtaining the materials, however it is up to the particular person to perform the research.
The following details denotes exactly what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are located in Providence County. The years stated listed below are considered the first widely known records in this county.
- Burrillville was established in 1730 and incorporated in 1806 from Glocester. It has Land Records from 1806, Probate Records from 1806 and Court Records from 1806. Villages include Bridgeton, Echo Lake, Gazzaville, Glendale, Graniteville, Harrisville, Huntsville, Laurel Hill, Mapleville, Mohegan, Nasonville, Oak Valley, Oakland, Pascoag, Round Top, Sand Beach, Saxonville, Tarkiln, Wallum Lake, Whipple. Burrillville Town Clerk, 70 Main Street, Harrisville, RI 02830; (401) 568-4300. More info
- Central Falls was established in 1730 and incorporated in 1895 from Lincoln. It has Land Records from 1895, Probate Records from 1895 and Court Records from 1895. Early Smithfield records are in this office. Central Falls Town Clerk, 580 Broad Street, Central Falls, RI 02863; (401) 727-7400. More info
- Cranston was established in 1754 and incorporated in 1910 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1754, Probate Records from 1754 and Court Records from 1754. Villages include Arlington, Auburn, Bellefonte, Eden Park, Edgewood, Hope, Howard, Knightsville, Meshanticut Park, Oaklawn, Pawtuxet, Pettaconsett, Sockanosset, Thornton, Washington Park, West Arlington. Cranston City Clerk, City Hall, 869 Park Ave, Cranston, RI 02910; (401) 461-1000. More info
- Cumberland was established in 1746 and incorporated in 1746 from Attleboro Gore, Massachusetts. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include Abbott Run, Arnold Mills, Ashton, Berkeley, Cumberland Hill, Cumberland Mills, Diamond Hill, Grants Mills, Lonsdale, Valley Falls. Earlier records, 1692—1747, are in Bristol County, Massachusetts at Taunton. Cumberland Town Clerk, 45 Broad St, Cumberland, RI 02864; (401) 728-2400. More info
- East Providence was established in 1812 and incorporated in 1958 from Rehoboth/Seekonk, Mass.. It has Land Records from 1862, Probate Records from 1862. Villages include Boyden Heights, Bullocks Point, Crescent Park, Fort Hill, Kent Heights, Narragansett Terrace, Omega, Phillipsdale, Riverside, Rumford, Silver Spring, Squantum, Watchemoket. See Rehoboth and Seekonk, Bristol County, Massachusetts, for earlier records. East Providence City Clerk, 145 Taunton Ave, E. Providence, RI 02914; (401) 435-7596. More info
- Foster was established in 1636 and incorporated in 1781 from Scituate. It has Land Records from 1781, Probate Records from 1781 and Court Records from 1781. Villages include Clayville, Foster Center, Moosup Valley, Mount Hygeia, North Foster, Pine Ridge, Ponagansett, South Foster, Vernon. Foster Town Clerk, South Killingly Rd, Foster, RI 02825; (401) 392-9200. More info
- Glocester was established in 1639 and incorporated in 1730-31 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1731, Probate Records from 1731 and Court Records from 1731. Villages include Bowdish, Chepachet, Clarkville, Durfee Hill, Harmony, Spring Grove, West Glocester. Glocester Town Clerk, P.O. Box B, Chepachet, RI 02814. More info
- Johnston was established in 1636 and incorporated in 1759 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1759, Probate Records from 1759 and Court Records from 1759. Villages include * Graniteville, Hughesdale, Merino, Morgan Mills, Moswansicut Lake, Simmonsville. Probates to 1898 at Providence City Archives, Providence 02903. Johnston Town Clerk, 1385 Hartford Ave, Johnston, RI 02919; (401) 351-6618. More info
- Lincoln was established in 1650 and incorporated in 1871 from Smithfield. It has Land Records from 1871, Probate Records from 1871 and Court Records from 1871. Villages include Albion, Fairlawn, Lime Rock, Lonsdale, Louisquisset, Manville, Saylesville. Records before 1895 in Central Falls City Clerk’s Office. Lincoln Town Clerk, 100 Old River Rd, Lincoln, RI 02865; (401) 333-1100. More info
- North Providence was established in 1636 and incorporated in 1765 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1765, Probate Records from 1765 and Court Records from 1765. Villages include Allendale, Centerdale, Fruit Hill, Geneva, Greystone, Louisquisset, Lymansville, Marieville, Wanskuck, Woodville. North Providence Town Clerk, City Hall, 2008 Smith St, N. Providence, RI 02911; (401) 232-0900. More info
- North Smithfield was established in 1730 and incorporated in 1871 from Smithfield. It has Land Records from 1871, Probate Records from 1871 and Court Records from 1871. Villages include Branch Village, Crystal Lake, Forestdale, Primrose, Slatersville, Union Village, Waterford, Woonsocket Hill. North Smithfield Town Clerk, 1 Main St, Slatersville, RI 02876; (401) 767-2200. More info
- Pawtucket was established in 1671 and incorporated in 1954 from Pawtucket, Mass., North Providence, R.I.. It has Land Records from 1862, Probate Records from 1862 and Court Records from 1862. Villages include Beverage Hill, Darlington, Fairlawn, Lebanon, Pleasant View, Woodlawn. Incorporated 1885. See Seekonk, Bristol County Massachusetts, Northern District for earlier records. Pawtucket City Clerk, City Hall, 137 Roosevelt Ave, Pawtucket, RI 02860; (401) 728-0500. More info
- The City of Providence was established in 1636 and incorporated in 1832 as an original city. It has Land Records from 1636, Probate Records from 1636 and Court Records from 1636. Villages include Dyerville, Edgewood, Elmwood, Federal Hill, Fox Point, Geneva, Manton, Mt. Pleasant, Olneyville, Silver Lake, Smith Hill, Starvegoat Island, Tockwotton, Washington Park. Providence City Archives has earlier deeds and vital records for Providence and Johnston; probates to 1898 More info
- Scituate was established in 1636 and incorporated in 1730 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1731, Probate Records from 1731 and Court Records from 1731. Villages include Chopmist, Clayville, Fiskeville, Glenn Rock, Hope, Jackson, North Scituate, Ponagansett, Rockland, Saundersville. Scituate Town Clerk, Main St, N. Scituate, RI 02857; (401) 647-2822. More info
- Smithfield was established in 1636 and incorporated in 730 from Providence. It has Land Records from 1731, Probate Records from 1731 and Court Records from 1731. Villages include Esmond, Georgiaville, Greenville, Mountaindale, Spragueville, Stillwater, West Greenville. Records to 1870 are in city clerk’s office, Central Falls 02863. Smithfield Town Clerk, 64 Farnum Pike, Esmond, RI 02917; (401) 233-1000. More info
- Woonsocket was established in 1867 and incorporated in 1888 from Cumberland / Smithfield. It has Land Records from 1867, Probate Records from 1867 and Court Records from 1867. Villages include Fairmount, Globe, Hamlet, Social. City Hall has copies of earlier deeds from parent towns beginning 1847. Woonsocket Town Clerk, City Hall, 169 Main St, Woonsocket, RI 02895; (401) 762-6400. More info
Providence County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Providence County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Providence County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Providence Co. RI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Providence Co. RI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Providence Co. RI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Providence Co. RI Census Records
Providence Co. RI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Providence Co. RI Church & Bible Records
Providence Co. RI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Providence Co. RI General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Rhode Island
- Providence County, Rhode Island Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A Modern city : Providence, Rhode Island and its activities (search.ancestry.com)
- King's pocket-book of Providence, R.I. (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Providence County, Rhode Island (search.ancestry.com)
- Annals of the town of Providence : from its first settlement to the organization of the city government in June, 1832 (search.ancestry.com)
- Laphams in America : thirteen thousand descendents including descendents of John from Devonshire, England, to Providence, R.I., (search.ancestry.com)
- An illustrated history of Pawtucket, Central Falls, and vicinity : a narrative of the growth and evolution of the community (search.ancestry.com)
- Providence County, Rhode Island Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Providence Co. RI Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Providence County, Rhode Island (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Rhode Island - Counties - Providence (cyndislist.com)
- Providence County Rhode Island (genealogytrails.com)
- Providence Co. RIGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Providence County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Providence Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Providence Co. RI Immigration & Naturalization
Providence Co. RI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Providence Co. RI Military Records
Providence Co. RI Schools & Directories