Providence County, Rhode Island
Providence County was established on June 22, 1703 as an Original County
The Providence County Seat is situated in Providence.
Areas adjoining Providence County are Norfolk County, Massachusetts, Bristol County, Massachusetts, Bristol County, Kent County, Windham County, Connecticut, Worcester County, Massachusetts.
Providence County vital records can be found at the Rhode Island Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Rhode Island for current fees and application process. Please be advised that in most cases you will receive your records more quickly from the City and Town locations than from the State Office
You can search online for Providence County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Providence County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Providence Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Providence Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Providence Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You will discover free down loadable in addition to printable census forms to aid with your research.
Providence County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Providence County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Rhode Island (raogk.org)
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Rhode Island State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Audubon Society of Rhode Island, 12 Sanderson Road, Smithfield, RI 02917; TEL: (401) 949-5454
- Blackstone Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 125, 1873 Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln, RI 02865; TEL: (401) 725-2847
- Burrillville Historical and Preservation Society, Box 93, Old Bridgeton School, 16 Laurel Hill Avenue, Pascoag, RI 02859; TEL: (401) 568-8534
- Cranston Historical Society, 1351 Cranston St, Cranston, RI 02920; ph: 401-944-9226
- East Providence Historical Society and Museum, P.O. Box 4774, Hunts Mills Road, East Providence, RI 02916; TEL: (401) 438-1750
- Elizabeth J. Johnson Pawtucket History Research Center, 30 Fruit St., Pawtucket, RI 02860; TEL (401) 725-2490
- Foster Preservation Society, Box 51, Foster Police Station, Howard Hill Road, Foster, RI 02825; TEL: (401) 647-2178
- Glocester Heritage Society, 1181 Main St., P.O. Box 269, Chepachet, RI 02814; 401-568-8967
- Historical Society of Smithfield, 220 Stillwater Road, Smithfield, RI 02917; TEL: (401) 231-7363
- Johnston Historical Society, 101 Putnam Pike Johnston, RI 02919; TEL: (401) 231-3380
- North Smithfield Heritage Association, c/o John J. Faricy, President. 802 Pound Hill Road, North Smithfield, RI 02896; Street address: 190 School Street, North Smithfield, RI 02896; TEL: (401) 766-0701
- Providence City Archives, City Hall, 25 Dorrance Street, Providence, RI 02903; (401) 421-7740; Early Providence Vital Records
- Rhode Island Black Heritage Society, 65 Weybosset Street, 2nd floor, Suite 29, Providence, RI 02903; TEL: (401) 751-3490
- Rhode Island State Library, State House, 2nd floor, Providence, RI 02903; Phone: (401) 222-2473
- Rhode Island Historical Society Library, 121 Hope Street, Providence, RI 02906; TEL: (401) 273-8107
- Woonsocket Historical and Preservation Society, 42 South Main Street, Garden Level, Woonsocket, RI 02895; TEL: (401) 356-0067
- Providence County, Rhode Island Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Providence County, Rhode Island Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Providence County (usgwarchives.net)
Providence County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Providence County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogy information. Hidden away in Rhode Island courthouses and archives everywhere are often the ambitions and frustrations of the many Rhode Island men and women.
The chances are very good that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Providence County court records. Even if your forebears is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Providence County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Providence County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Providence County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Providence Co. RI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Providence Co. RI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Providence Co. RI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Providence Co. RI Census Records
Providence Co. RI Cemeteries & Church Records
Providence Co. RI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Providence Co. RI General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Rhode Island
- Providence County, Rhode Island Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A Modern city : Providence, Rhode Island and its activities (search.ancestry.com)
- King's pocket-book of Providence, R.I. (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Providence County, Rhode Island (search.ancestry.com)
- Annals of the town of Providence : from its first settlement to the organization of the city government in June, 1832 (search.ancestry.com)
- Laphams in America : thirteen thousand descendents including descendents of John from Devonshire, England, to Providence, R.I., (search.ancestry.com)
- An illustrated history of Pawtucket, Central Falls, and vicinity : a narrative of the growth and evolution of the community (search.ancestry.com)
- Providence County, Rhode Island Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Providence Co. RI Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Providence County, Rhode Island (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Rhode Island - Counties - Providence (cyndislist.com)
- Providence County Rhode Island (genealogytrails.com)
- Providence Co. RIGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Providence County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Providence Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Providence Co. RI Immigration & Naturalization
Providence Co. RI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Providence Co. RI Military Records
Providence Co. RI Schools & Directories