Bristol County, Rhode Island
Bristol County was established on February 17, 1747 from Newport County. Created from land gained from Bristol County, Massachusetts after resolution of a boundary dispute between the two colonies. The county was named for City of Bristol, England..
The Bristol County Seat is situated in Bristol.
Areas adjoining Bristol County are Bristol County, Massachusetts (east), Providence County (north), Kent County (west), Newport County (south).
Cities, towns, and villages (Villages are census division, but have no separate corporate existence from the they are in) located in Bristol County consists of Barrington, Bristol, Warren.
Bristol County vital records can be found at the Rhode Island Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Rhode Island for current fees and application process. Please be advised that in most cases you will receive your records more quickly from the City and Town locations than from the State Office
You can search online for Bristol County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Bristol County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bristol Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bristol Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bristol Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You will discover free down loadable in addition to printable census forms to aid with your research.
Bristol County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Bristol County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Rhode Island State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barrington Preservation Society, P.O. Box 178, 281 County Road, Barrington, RI 02806; TEL: (401) 247-3770
- Bristol Historical And Preservation Society Library & Museum, 48 Court Street, Bristol, RI 02809; Phone: (401) 253-7223
- Massasoit Historical Association, Post Office Box 203, Warren, Rhode Island 02885
- Bristol County, Rhode Island Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bristol County
- Bristol County, Rhode Island Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bristol County
- USGenWeb Archives for Bristol County (usgwarchives.net)
Bristol County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Bristol County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogy information. Hidden away in Rhode Island courthouses and archives everywhere are often the ambitions and frustrations of the many Rhode Island men and women.
The chances are very good that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Bristol County court records. Even if your forebears is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should call the clerk's department to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will aid persons in obtaining the materials, however it is up to the particular person to perform the research.
The following details denotes exactly what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are located in Bristol County. The years stated listed below are considered the first widely known records in this county.
- Barrington was established in 1653 and incorporated in 1770 from Barrington, Massachusetts. It has Land Records from 1770, Probate Records from 1770 and Court Records from 1770. Villages include , Annawomscutt, Bay Spring, Hampden Meadows, Nyatt, Rumstick Point, West Barrington. Originally created in 1717 as Barrington, Massachusetts, it was ceded to Rhode Island in 1747 as part of the town of Warren. Barrington, Rhode Island, a new town, was set off from Warren in 1770. Barrington, Massachusetts records between 1717 and 1747 are in Bristol County; 1747—70 in the Warren town clerk’s office. This office has the meeting records for the town since 1718 More info.
- Bristol was established in 1680 and incorporated in 1746 from Bristol, Massachusetts. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include Beach Terrace, Bristol Highlands, Bristol Narrows, Castle Island, Popasquash Point, Seal Island, Walker Island. Part of Plymouth Colony, 1681—86, then Bristol Co. Mass. Ceded to Rhode Island, 1747. See Taunton, Massachusetts, for earlier records. More info.
- Warren was established in 1620 and incorporated in 1747 from Barrington, Rehoboth and Swansea, Mass.. It has Land Records from 1747, Probate Records from 1747 and Court Records from 1747. Villages include Burr Hill, Coggeshall, East Warren, Kickamuit, South Warren, Touisset. See Bristol County, Northern District, Taunton, Massachusetts, for earlier records. More info
Bristol County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Bristol County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Bristol County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Bristol Co. RI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bristol Co. RI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bristol Co. RI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bristol Co. RI Census Records
Bristol Co. RI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bristol Co. RI Church & Bible Records
Bristol Co. RI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bristol Co. RI General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Rhode Island
- Bristol County, Rhode Island Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A history of Barrington, Rhode Island (search.ancestry.com)
- Sketches of old Bristol (search.ancestry.com)
- Rehoboth Area, Bristol County, Massachusetts History (search.ancestry.com)
- Tales of an old sea port : a general sketch of the history of Bristol, Rhode Island, including, incidentally, an account of the (search.ancestry.com)
- The origin and progress of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Warren, R.I. : including notices of many clergymen and others who (search.ancestry.com)
- Bristol County, Rhode Island Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Bristol Co. RI Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Bristol County, Rhode Island (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Rhode Island - Counties - Bristol (cyndislist.com)
- Bristol County Rhode Island (genealogytrails.com)
- Bristol Co. RIGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Bristol County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Bristol Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Bristol Co. RI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bristol Co. RI Military Records
Bristol Co. RI Schools & Directories