Wyoming County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy and Facts
Wyoming County was established on April 4, 1842 from Luzerne County. The county was named for Delaware word meaning "at the big river flat" .
Currently the Wyoming County Seat is located in Tunkhannock and in addition the county government website is unknown.
Counties adjacent to Wyoming County are Susquehanna County (north), Lackawanna County (east), Luzerne County (south), Sullivan County (west), Bradford County (northwest).
Municipalities situated in Wyoming County consist of Townships: Braintrim, Clinton, Eaton, Exeter, Falls, Forkston, Lemon, Mehoopany, Meshoppen, Monroe, Nicholson, North Branch, Northmoreland, Noxen, Overfield, Tunkhannock, Washington, Windham. Boroughs: Factoryville, Laceyville, Meshoppen, Nicholson, Tunkhannock . See also Wyoming County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Wyoming County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wyoming Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wyoming Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wyoming Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Wyoming County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Wyoming County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Pennsylvania State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Wyoming County Historical Society , P.O. Box 309, Harrison & Bridge St., Tunkhannock, PA 18657; (717) 836-5303
- Wyoming County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wyoming County
- Wyoming County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wyoming County
Wyoming County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Wyoming County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Wyoming County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Wyoming County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Wyoming County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Square, Tunkhannock, PA 18657
- Phone: (570) 836-3200
- Wyoming County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (570) 996-2361
- Land Records: 1842
- Wyoming County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 570-996-2234
- Court & Divorce Records: 1843
- Wyoming County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (570) 996-2237
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1843
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Wyoming County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Wyoming County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Wyoming County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Wyoming County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wyoming Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wyoming Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wyoming Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wyoming Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wyoming Co. PA Census Records
Wyoming Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wyoming Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Wyoming Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wyoming Co. PA General and History Websites
Wyoming Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Wyoming Co. PA Military Records