Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Westmoreland County, PA Created?
Westmoreland County was established on February 26, 1773, from Bedford County. The county was named for the historic English county of Westmorland.
What is the County Seat of Westmoreland County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Greensburg and in addition the county government website is www.co.westmoreland.pa.us
What counties are adjacent to Westmoreland County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Armstrong County (north), Indiana County (northeast), Cambria County (east), Somerset County (southeast), Fayette County (south), Washington County (southwest), Allegheny County (west), Butler County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Westmoreland County, PA?
Municipalities located in Westmoreland County include Townships: Allegheny, Bell, Cook, Derry, Donegal, East Huntingdon, Fairfield, Hempfield, Ligonier, Loyalhanna, Mount Pleasant, North Huntingdon, Penn, Rostraver, Salem, Sewickley, South Huntingdon, St. Clair, Unity, Upper Burrell, Washington. Boroughs: Adamsburg, Arona, Avonmore, Bolivar, Delmont, Derry, Donegal, East Vandergrift, Export, Hunker, Hyde Park, Irwin, Laurel Mountain, Ligonier, Madison, Manor, Mount Pleasant, Murrysville, New Alexandria, New Florence, New Stanton, North Belle Vernon, North Irwin, Oklahoma, Penn, Scottdale, Seward, Smithton, South Greensburg, Southwest Greensburg, Sutersville, Trafford, Vandergrift, West Leechburg, West Newton, Youngstown, Youngwood. Cities & Towns: Arnold, Greensburg, Jeannette, Latrobe, Lower Burrell, Monessen, New Kensington. See also Westmoreland County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Westmoreland County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Westmoreland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Westmoreland County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Westmoreland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- Births, baptisms (3683) of the First Lutheran Church, Westmoreland County, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, 1792-1853
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Westmoreland County, PA Census Records
What Westmoreland County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Westmoreland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Westmoreland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Westmoreland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Westmoreland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Westmoreland County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Westmoreland County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Westmoreland County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Westmoreland County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Westmoreland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 North Main Street, Greensburg, PA 15601
- Phone: (724) 830-3000
- Westmoreland County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 724.830.3518
- Land Records: 1773
- Westmoreland County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 724.830.3734
- Court & Divorce Records: 1773
- Westmoreland County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 724.830.3177
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1773
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Westmoreland County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Abstracts of wills, Bible records
- Wills & letters of administrations of Westmoreland County Court House, Greensburg, Pennsylvania
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Westmoreland County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Westmoreland County, PA?
A list of Westmoreland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Westmoreland County Historical Society , 951 Old Salem Rd., Greensburg, PA 15601; (412) 836-1800
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Westmoreland County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Westmoreland County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Westmoreland County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Westmoreland Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Westmoreland Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Westmoreland Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Pennsylvania Cemetery Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Tombstone inscriptions of cemeteries in Cook, Donegal, East Huntington, Hempfield, Mount Pleasant, and Unity Townships (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions of the Unity Presbyterian Church cemetery, Unity Township, Westmoreland County, Pa. (search.ancestry.com)
- Tombstone inscriptions, cemeteries, Mount Pleasant Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- West Newton Cemetery, Westmoreland Co., Pa. (search.ancestry.com)
- Westmoreland Co., Pennsylvania Graves (findagrave.com)
- Westmoreland County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Westmoreland Co., Pennsylvania Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Westmoreland Co., Pennsylvania Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Pennsylvania Church Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985 (search.ancestry.com)
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Church Books (amazon.com)
Westmoreland Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Westmoreland Co. PA General and History Websites
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the county of Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Ligonier and its times : a history of the first English fort west of the Allegheny Mountains, and an account of many thril (search.ancestry.com)
- Memoirs of the bench and bar of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Greensburg (Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania) and Greensburg schools (search.ancestry.com)
- A bibliography of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania : from its erection in 1773 to 1949 (search.ancestry.com)
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Westmoreland Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Westmoreland (cyndislist.com)
- Westmoreland County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Westmoreland Co. PAGenweb (pagenweb.org)
- Westmoreland County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Westmoreland Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Westmoreland Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Westmoreland Co. PA Military Records