Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Westmoreland County was established on February 26, 1773, from Bedford County. The county was named for the historic English county of Westmorland.
Currently the Westmoreland County Seat is located in Greensburg and in addition the county government website is www.co.westmoreland.pa.us
Counties adjacent to Westmoreland County are Armstrong County (north), Indiana County (northeast), Cambria County (east), Somerset County (southeast), Fayette County (south), Washington County (southwest), Allegheny County (west), Butler County (northwest).
Municipalities situated in Westmoreland County consist of Townships: Allegheny, Bell, Cook, Derry, Donegal, East Huntingdon, Fairfield, Hempfield, Ligonier, Loyalhanna, Mount Pleasant, North Huntingdon, Penn, Rostraver, Salem, Sewickley, South Huntingdon, St. Clair, Unity, Upper Burrell, Washington. Boroughs: Adamsburg, Arona, Avonmore, Bolivar, Delmont, Derry, Donegal, East Vandergrift, Export, Hunker, Hyde Park, Irwin, Laurel Mountain, Ligonier, Madison, Manor, Mount Pleasant, Murrysville, New Alexandria, New Florence, New Stanton, North Belle Vernon, North Irwin, Oklahoma, Penn, Scottdale, Seward, Smithton, South Greensburg, Southwest Greensburg, Sutersville, Trafford, Vandergrift, West Leechburg, West Newton, Youngstown, Youngwood. Cities & Towns: Arnold, Greensburg, Jeannette, Latrobe, Lower Burrell, Monessen, New Kensington. See also Westmoreland County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Westmoreland County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Westmoreland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
Westmoreland County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Westmoreland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Westmoreland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Westmoreland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Westmoreland County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Westmoreland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Westmoreland County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Westmoreland County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Westmoreland County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Westmoreland County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Westmoreland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 North Main Street, Greensburg, PA 15601
- Phone: (724) 830-3000
- Westmoreland County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 724.830.3518
- Land Records: 1773
- Westmoreland County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 724.830.3734
- Court & Divorce Records: 1773
- Westmoreland County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 724.830.3177
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1773
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Westmoreland County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
Westmoreland County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Westmoreland County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Westmoreland County genealogy or family history related sites.
Westmoreland Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Westmoreland Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers Books & Publications Links for Pennsylvania
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997) (genealogybank.com) Immediately uncover names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements as well as other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new content added monthly!
- The Valley Independent (Monessen, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Monessen Daily Independent (Monessen, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Independent (Monessen, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Mon Valley Report (Monessen, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Mon Valley Advertiser (Monessen, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Books (amazon.com)
- Search Pennsylvania Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Westmoreland County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Westmoreland Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Pennsylvania
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Births, baptisms (3683) of the First Lutheran Church, Westmoreland County, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, 1792-1853 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 - 1950 (familysearch.org)
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924 (search.ancestry.com) This database includes death records beginning on that date through 1924. Later records will eventually be added to this collection. Records of stillbirths were required to be filed as both a birth and death record, so you may find records of stillborn children in this collection.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Westmoreland Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Westmoreland Co. PA Census Records
Westmoreland Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
- Tombstone inscriptions of cemeteries in Cook, Donegal, East Huntington, Hempfield, Mount Pleasant, and Unity Townships (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions of the Unity Presbyterian Church cemetery, Unity Township, Westmoreland County, Pa. (search.ancestry.com)
- Tombstone inscriptions, cemeteries, Mount Pleasant Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- West Newton Cemetery, Westmoreland Co., Pa. (search.ancestry.com)
- Westmoreland Co., Pennsylvania Graves (findagrave.com)
- Westmoreland County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Westmoreland Co., Pennsylvania Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania (topozone.com)
- Westmoreland Co., Pennsylvania Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
Westmoreland Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Westmoreland Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Westmoreland Co. PA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Pennsylvania
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the county of Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- Fort Ligonier and its times : a history of the first English fort west of the Allegheny Mountains, and an account of many thril (search.ancestry.com)
- Memoirs of the bench and bar of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Greensburg (Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania) and Greensburg schools (search.ancestry.com)
- A bibliography of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania : from its erection in 1773 to 1949 (search.ancestry.com)
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Westmoreland Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Westmoreland (cyndislist.com)
- Westmoreland County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Westmoreland Co. PAGenweb (pagenweb.org)
- Westmoreland County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Westmoreland Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Westmoreland Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Westmoreland Co. PA Military Records