Washington County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Washington County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Washington County, PA Created?
Washington County was established on March 28, 1781 from Westmoreland County. The county was named in honor of George Washington, first U.S. President .
What is the County Seat of Washington County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Washington and in addition the county government website is www.co.washington.pa.us
What counties are adjacent to Washington County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Beaver County (north), Allegheny County (northeast), Westmoreland County (east), Fayette County (southeast), Greene County (south), Marshall County, West Virginia (southwest), Ohio County, West Virginia (west), Brooke County, West Virginia (west), Hancock County, West Virginia (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Washington County, PA?
Municipalities located in Washington County include Townships: Amwell, Blaine, Buffalo, Canton, Carroll, Cecil, Chartiers, Cross Creek, Donegal, East Bethlehem, East Finley, Fallowfield, Hanover, Hopewell, Independence, Jefferson, Morris, Mount Pleasant, North Bethlehem, North Franklin, North Strabane, Nottingham, Peters, Robinson, Smith, Somerset, South Franklin, South Strabane, Union, West Bethlehem, West Finley, West Pike Run. Boroughs: Allenport, Beallsville, Bentleyville, Burgettstown, California, Canonsburg, Centerville, Charleroi, Claysville, Coal Center, Cokeburg, Deemston, Donora, Dunlevy, East Washington, Elco, Ellsworth, Finleyville, Green Hills, Houston, Long Branch, Marianna, McDonald, Midway, New Eagle, North Charleroi, Roscoe, Speers, Stockdale, Twilight, West Alexander, West Brownsville, West Middletown. Cities & Towns: Monongahela, Washington. See also Washington County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Washington County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Washington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Washington County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Washington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- Cross Creek, Pennsylvania Deaths, 1810-90
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Washington County, PA Census Records
What Washington County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Washington County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Washington County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Washington County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Washington County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Washington County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: One South Main Street, Washington, PA 15301
- Phone: (724) 228-6775
- Washington County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Address: 100 West Beau Street, Room 204, Washington, PA 15301
- Phone: 724-228-6806
- Land Records: 1781
- Washington County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 724-228-6787
- Court & Divorce Records: 1781
- Washington County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 724-228-6775
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1781
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Washington County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Estate records, 1781-96, and deed records, 1782-85, in Washington County, Pennsylvania
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Washington County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Washington County, PA?
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Washington County Historical Society, 49 East Maiden Street, Washington, PA 15301; Ph 724-225-6740
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Washington County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Washington County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Washington Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Washington Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. PA General and History Websites
- Washington County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The Bibliography of Washington County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Washington County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- 20th century history of the city of Washington and Washington County, Pennsylvania and representative citizens (search.ancestry.com)
- The Old and New Monongahela (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Washington County from its first settlement to the present time : first under Virginia as Yohogania, Ohio, or August (search.ancestry.com)
- The courts of justice, bench and bar of Washington County, Pennsylvania : with sketches of the early court-houses, the judicial (search.ancestry.com)
- Washington County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Washington Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Washington County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Washington (cyndislist.com)
- Washington County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Washington Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Washington County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Washington County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Washington Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Washington Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Washington Co. PA Military Records
Washington Co. PA Schools & Directories