Warren County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Warren County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Warren County, PA Created?
Warren County was established on March 12, 1800, from Allegheny County and Lycoming County. The county was named in honor of Joseph Warren, Revolutionary War general .
What is the County Seat of Warren County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Warren and in addition the county government website is www.warrencountypa.net
What counties are adjacent to Warren County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Chautauqua County, New York (north), Cattaraugus County, New York (northeast), McKean County (east), Elk County (southeast), Forest County (south), Venango County (southwest), Crawford County (west), Erie County (west).
What cities and towns are in Warren County, PA?
Municipalities located in Warren County include Townships: Brokenstraw, Cherry Grove, Columbus, Conewango, Deerfield, Eldred, Elk, Farmington, Freehold, Glade, Limestone, Mead, Pine Grove, Pittsfield, Pleasant, Sheffield, Southwest, Spring Creek, Sugar Grove, Triumph, Watson. Boroughs: Bear Lake, Clarendon, Sugar Grove, Tidioute, Youngsville. Cities & Towns: Warren. See also Warren County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Warren County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Warren County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Warren County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Warren County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Warren County, PA Census Records
What Warren County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Warren County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Warren Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Warren Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Warren Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Warren County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Warren County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Warren County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Warren County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Attached to Crawford County until 1805 and then to Venango County until 1819 when Warren County was formally organized.
- Warren County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 204 Fourth Avenue, Warren, PA 16365
- Phone: (814) 728-3430
- Warren County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (814)728-3430
- Land Records: 1819
- Warren County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (814)728-3440
- Court & Divorce Records: 1820
- Warren County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (814)728-3430
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1820
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Warren County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Warren County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Warren County, PA?
A list of Warren County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Warren Historical Society, 210 Fourth Avenue, P.O. Box 427, Warren, PA 16365-2399; (814) 723-1795
- Warren Public Library (large genealogy resource section), 204 Market Street, Warren, PA 16365; 814-723-4650
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Warren County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Warren County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Warren County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Warren Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Warren Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Pennsylvania Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997) (genealogybank.com) Immediately uncover names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements as well as other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new content added monthly!
- Warren Times Mirror (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren Evening Mirror (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Evening Democrat (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Warren Tribune (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren Morning Mirror (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren Evening Times (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren County, Pennsylvania Books (amazon.com)
- Search Pennsylvania Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Warren County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Warren Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Warren Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Warren Co. PA General and History Websites
- Warren County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Old time tales of Warren County (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren centennial : an account of the celebration at Warren, Pennsylvania, July 2d, 3d, and 4th, 1895, in commemoration of the (search.ancestry.com)
- Recreation in Warren County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- Howden & Odbert's atlas of Warren County, Pennsylvania : from actual surveys & records (search.ancestry.com)
- An economic survey of Warren County, Pennsylvania, as a background for banking service, 1926-1936 (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Warren Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Warren County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Warren (cyndislist.com)
- Warren County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Warren Co. PAGenweb (pagenweb.org)
- Warren County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Warren County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Warren Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Warren Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Warren Co. PA Military Records