Warren County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy and Facts
Warren County, Pennsylvania genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Warren Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Warren County was established on March 12, 1800, from Allegheny County and Lycoming County. The county was named in honor of Joseph Warren, Revolutionary War general .
Currently the Warren County Seat is located in Warren and in addition the county government website is www.warrencountypa.net
Counties adjacent to Warren County are Chautauqua County, New York (north), Cattaraugus County, New York (northeast), McKean County (east), Elk County (southeast), Forest County (south), Venango County (southwest), Crawford County (west), Erie County (west).
Municipalities situated in Warren County consist of Townships: Brokenstraw, Cherry Grove, Columbus, Conewango, Deerfield, Eldred, Elk, Farmington, Freehold, Glade, Limestone, Mead, Pine Grove, Pittsfield, Pleasant, Sheffield, Southwest, Spring Creek, Sugar Grove, Triumph, Watson. Boroughs: Bear Lake, Clarendon, Sugar Grove, Tidioute, Youngsville. Cities & Towns: Warren. See also Warren County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Warren County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Warren Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Warren Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Warren Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Warren County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Warren County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Pennsylvania State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Warren Historical Society, 210 Fourth Avenue, P.O. Box 427, Warren, PA 16365-2399; (814) 723-1795
- Warren Public Library (large genealogy resource section), 204 Market Street, Warren, PA 16365; 814-723-4650
- Warren County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Warren County
- Warren County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Warren County
Warren County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Warren County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Warren County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Warren County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county. Attached to Crawford County until 1805 and then to Venango County until 1819 when Warren County was formally organized.
- Warren County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 204 Fourth Avenue, Warren, PA 16365
- Phone: (814) 728-3430
- Warren County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (814)728-3430
- Land Records: 1819
- Warren County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (814)728-3440
- Court & Divorce Records: 1820
- Warren County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (814)728-3430
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1820
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Warren County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Warren County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Warren County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Warren County genealogy or family history related sites.
Warren Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Warren Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers Books & Publications Links for Pennsylvania
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997) (genealogybank.com) Immediately uncover names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements as well as other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new content added monthly!
- Warren Times Mirror (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren Evening Mirror (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Evening Democrat (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Warren Tribune (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren Morning Mirror (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren Evening Times (Warren, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren County, Pennsylvania Books (amazon.com)
- Pennsylvania Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
- Search Pennsylvania Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Warren County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Warren Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Warren Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Warren Co. PA Census Records
Warren Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Warren Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Warren Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Warren Co. PA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Pennsylvania
- Warren County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Old time tales of Warren County (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren centennial : an account of the celebration at Warren, Pennsylvania, July 2d, 3d, and 4th, 1895, in commemoration of the (search.ancestry.com)
- Recreation in Warren County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- Howden & Odbert's atlas of Warren County, Pennsylvania : from actual surveys & records (search.ancestry.com)
- An economic survey of Warren County, Pennsylvania, as a background for banking service, 1926-1936 (search.ancestry.com)
- Warren County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Warren Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Warren County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Warren (cyndislist.com)
- Warren County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Warren Co. PAGenweb (pagenweb.org)
- Warren County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Warren County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Warren Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Warren Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Warren Co. PA Military Records