Snyder County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Snyder County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Snyder County, PA Created?
Snyder County was established on March 2, 1855, from Union County. The county was named in honor of Simon Snyder, third Governor of Pennsylvania .
What is the County Seat of Snyder County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Middleburg and in addition the county government website is www.snydercounty.org
What counties are adjacent to Snyder County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Union County (north), Northumberland County (east), Juniata County (south), Mifflin County (west).
What cities and towns are in Snyder County, PA?
Municipalities located in Snyder County include Townships: Adams, Beaver, Center, Chapman, Franklin, Jackson, Middlecreek, Monroe, Penn, Perry, Spring, Union, Washington, West Beaver, West Perry. Boroughs: Beavertown, Freeburg, McClure, Middleburg, Selinsgrove, Shamokin Dam. See also Snyder County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Snyder County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Snyder County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Snyder County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Snyder County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Snyder County, PA Census Records
What Snyder County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Snyder County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Snyder Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Snyder Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Snyder Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Snyder County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Snyder County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Snyder County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Snyder County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Snyder County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 9 West Market Street, Middleburg, PA 17842
- Phone: (570) 837-4202
- Snyder County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (570) 837-4224
- Land Records: 1855
- Snyder County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (570) 837-4202
- Court & Divorce Records: 1855
- Snyder County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (570) 837-4224
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1855
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Snyder County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Snyder County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Snyder County, PA?
A list of Snyder County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Snyder County Historical Society Museum and Library, 30 East Market St., P.O.Box 276, Middleburg, PA 17842; 570-837-6191
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Snyder County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Snyder County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Snyder County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Snyder Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Snyder Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Snyder Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Snyder Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Snyder Co. PA General and History Websites
Snyder Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Snyder Co. PA Military Records