Mifflin County, Pennsylvania
Mifflin County was established on September 19, 1789 from Cumberland County and Northumberland County. The county was named in honor of Thomas Mifflin, first Governor of Pennsylvania .
Currently the Mifflin County Seat is located in Lewistown and in addition the county government website is www.co.mifflin.pa.us
Counties adjacent to Mifflin County are Centre County (north), Union County (northeast), Snyder County (east), Juniata County (southeast), Huntingdon County (west).
Municipalities situated in Mifflin County consist of Townships: Armagh, Bratton, Brown, Decatur, Derry, Granville, Menno, Oliver, Union, Wayne. Boroughs: Burnham, Juniata Terrace, Kistler, Lewistown, McVeytown, Newton Hamilton. See also Mifflin County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Mifflin County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Mifflin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
Mifflin County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mifflin Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mifflin Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mifflin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Mifflin County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Mifflin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Pennsylvania (raogk.org)
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Mifflin County Historical Society, 1 W. Market St. # 1, Lewistown, PA 17044-2128; (717) 242-1022
- Mifflin County Mennonite Historical Society, Main Street, Belleville 17004
- Mifflin County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mifflin County
- Mifflin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mifflin County
Mifflin County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Mifflin County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Mifflin County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Mifflin County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Mifflin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 20 North Wayne Street, Lewistown, PA 17044
- Phone: (717) 242-1449
- Mifflin County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (717) 242-1449
- Land Records: 1789
- Mifflin County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (717) 248-8146
- Court & Divorce Records: 1789
- Mifflin County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (717) 242-1449
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1789
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Mifflin County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
Mifflin County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Mifflin County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Mifflin County genealogy or family history related sites.
Mifflin Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mifflin Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mifflin Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mifflin Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mifflin Co. PA Census Records
Mifflin Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mifflin Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Mifflin Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mifflin Co. PA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Pennsylvania
- Mifflin County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History and topography of Northumberland, Huntingdon, Mifflin, Centre, Union, Columbia, Juniata and Clinton Counties, Pa. : emb (search.ancestry.com)
- The Sigler family of Mifflin County, Penna. (search.ancestry.com)
- Mifflin County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Mifflin Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Mifflin County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Mifflin (cyndislist.com)
- Mifflin County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Mifflin Co. PAGenweb (pagenweb.org)
- Mifflin County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Mifflin County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Mifflin Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Mifflin Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Mifflin Co. PA Military Records