McKean County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
McKean County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was McKean County, PA Created?
McKean County was established on March 26, 1804 from Lycoming County. The county was named in honor of Thomas McKean, second Governor of Pennsylvania.
What is the County Seat of McKean County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Smethport and in addition the county government website is www.mckeancountypa.org
What counties are adjacent to McKean County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Cattaraugus County, New York (north), Allegany County, New York (northeast), Potter County (east), Cameron County (southeast), Elk County (south), Forest County (southwest), Warren County (west).
What cities and towns are in McKean County, PA?
Municipalities located in McKean County include Townships: Annin, Bradford, Ceres, Corydon, Eldred, Foster, Hamilton, Hamlin, Keating, Lafayette, Liberty, Norwich, Otto, Sergeant, Wetmore. Boroughs: Eldred, Kane, Lewis Run, Mount Jewett, Port Allegany, Smethport. Cities & Towns: Bradford. See also McKean County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
McKean County, PA Vital Records
Where can find McKean County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
McKean County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for McKean County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
McKean County, PA Census Records
What McKean County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for McKean County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
McKean Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McKean Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McKean Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
McKean County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
McKean County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the McKean County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in McKean County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. McKean County was attached to Centre County until 1814 and to Lycoming County for judicial and elective purposes, McKean County was not fully organized until 1826.
- McKean County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 500 Main Street, Smethport, PA 16749
- Phone: (814) 887-5571
- McKean County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 814.887.3250
- Land Records: 1827
- McKean County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 814.887.3323 ext 4302
- Court & Divorce Records: 1827
- McKean County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 814.887.3260
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1827
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- McKean County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
McKean County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for McKean County, PA?
A list of McKean County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- McKean County Genealogical Society, Box 207A Derrick City, PA 16727
- McKean County Historical Society, McKean County Old Jail Building, Smethport, PA 16749-1144; 814-887-5142
- Painted Hills Genealogy Society,
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other McKean County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in McKean County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to McKean County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
McKean Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
McKean Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
McKean Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
McKean Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
McKean Co. PA General and History Websites
- McKean County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of the counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania : with biographical selections, including their early (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania : with biographical selections, including their early settlemen (search.ancestry.com)
- McKean, the governor's county (search.ancestry.com)
- Centennial program, 1864-1964 : August 9th thru 15th, 1964 : one hundred years of progress (search.ancestry.com)
- Greater Bradford bicentennial : 1776-1976. (search.ancestry.com)
- McKean County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- McKean Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- McKean County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - McKean (cyndislist.com)
- McKean County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- McKean Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- McKean County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- McKean County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- McKean Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
McKean Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
McKean Co. PA Military Records
McKean Co. PA Schools & Directories