Lebanon County, Pennsylvania
Lebanon County was established on February 16, 1813 from Dauphin County and Lancaster County. The county was named for Lebanon, the Biblical term for "White Mountain", which references the piety of the county's Moravian founders .
Currently the Lebanon County Seat is located in Lebanon and in addition the county government website is www.lebcounty.org
Counties adjacent to Lebanon County are Schuylkill County (northeast), Berks County (east), Lancaster County (south), Dauphin County (west).
Municipalities situated in Lebanon County consist of Townships: Annville, Bethel, Cold Spring, East Hanover, Heidelberg, Jackson, Millcreek, North Annville, North Cornwall, North Lebanon, North Londonderry, South Annville, South Lebanon, South Londonderry, Swatara, Union, West Cornwall, West Lebanon. Boroughs: Cleona, Cornwall, Jonestown, Mount Gretna, Myerstown, Palmyra, Richland. Cities & Towns: Lebanon. See also Lebanon County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Lebanon County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Lebanon County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
Lebanon County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lebanon Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lebanon Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lebanon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Lebanon County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Lebanon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Lebanon County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Lebanon County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Lebanon County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Lebanon County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Lebanon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 400 South Eighth Street, Lebanon, PA 17042
- Phone: (717) 274-2801, Ext. 2215
- Lebanon County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (717) 228-4447
- Land Records: 1813
- Lebanon County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records. Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (717) 228-4418
- Court & Divorce Records: 1813
- Lebanon County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (717) 228-4415
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1813
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Lebanon County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
Lebanon County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Lebanon County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Lebanon County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lebanon Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lebanon Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lebanon Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Pennsylvania
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Trinity Tuplehocken Reformed Congregation Births, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, 1800-56 (search.ancestry.com)
- Lebanon County, Pennsylvania Marriages, 1769-1864: Trinity Tulpehocken Reformed Congregation (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 - 1950 (familysearch.org)
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924 (search.ancestry.com) This database includes death records beginning on that date through 1924. Later records will eventually be added to this collection. Records of stillbirths were required to be filed as both a birth and death record, so you may find records of stillborn children in this collection.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Lebanon Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lebanon Co. PA Census Records
Lebanon Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lebanon Co. PA Church & Bible Records
- See Also Statewide Church & Bible Records for Pennsylvania
- The history of St. John's Reformed Church, 1858-1901 (search.ancestry.com)
- Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, 1794-1906: Zoar Evangelical Lutheran Church (search.ancestry.com)
- Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, 1747-1875: Millbach Reformed Congregation (search.ancestry.com)
- Heidelberg Congregation, 1765-1864, Schaefferstown, Lebanon County, PA (search.ancestry.com)
- Goshert's Zion Lutheran Church, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, 1879-1957 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985 (search.ancestry.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Lebanon County, Pennsylvania (topozone.com)
- Lebanon County, Pennsylvania Church Books (amazon.com)
Lebanon Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lebanon Co. PA General and History Websites
Lebanon Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Lebanon Co. PA Military Records
Lebanon Co. PA Schools & Directories