Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy and Facts
Delaware County, Pennsylvania genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Delaware Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Delaware County was established on September 6, 1789 from Chester County. The county was named for the Delaware River, itself named for the Delaware tribe.
Currently the Delaware County Seat is located in Media and in addition the county government website is www.co.delaware.pa.us
Counties adjacent to Delaware County are Montgomery County (north), Philadelphia County (east), Gloucester County, New Jersey (southeast), New Castle County DE (southwest), Chester County (west).
Municipalities situated in Delaware County consist of Townships: Aston, Bethel, Chadds Ford, Chester, Concord, Darby, Edgmont, Haverford, Lower Chichester, Marple, Middletown, Nether Providence, Newtown, Radnor, Ridley, Springfield, Thornbury, Tinicum, Upper Chichester, Upper Darby, Upper Providence. Boroughs: Aldan, Brookhaven, Chester Heights, Clifton Heights, Collingdale, Colwyn, Darby, East Lansdowne, Eddystone, Folcroft, Folsom, Glenolden, Lansdowne, Marcus Hook, Media, Millbourne, Morton, Norwood, Parkside, Prospect Park, Ridley Park, Rose Valley, Rutledge, Sharon Hill, Swarthmore, Trainer, Upland, Yeadon. Cities & Towns: ?. See also Delaware County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Delaware County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Delaware Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Delaware County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Delaware County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Pennsylvania State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Delaware County Historical Society, 408 Ave. of the States, Chester, PA 19013; (610) 359-0826
- Delaware County Archives, 201 West Front Street, Media, PA 19063; Birth and Death Records: (610) 891-5620; Marriage Records: (610) 891-4403; Divorce Records: (610) 891-4370
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Delaware County
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Delaware County
Delaware County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Delaware County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Delaware County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Delaware County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Delaware County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 West Front Street, Media, PA 19063
- Delaware County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 610-891-4152
- Land Records: 1789
- Delaware County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 610-891-4260
- Court & Divorce Records: 1789
- Delaware County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 610-891-4400
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1789
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Delaware County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Delaware County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Delaware County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Delaware County genealogy or family history related sites.
Delaware Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Delaware Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Delaware Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Delaware Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Delaware Co. PA Census Records
Delaware Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Delaware Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Delaware Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Delaware Co. PA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Pennsylvania
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania (delcohistory.org)
- Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Chester and Delaware Counties, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of Delaware County, Pennsylvania, and its people (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania : from the discovery of the territory included within its limits to the present time, (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical and historical cyclopedia of Delaware County, Pennsylvania : comprising a historical sketch of the county (search.ancestry.com)
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Delaware Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Delaware (cyndislist.com)
- Delaware County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Delaware Co. PAGenweb (delcogenweb.org)
- Delaware County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Delaware Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Delaware Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Delaware Co. PA Military Records
Delaware Co. PA Schools & Directories
- Chester City, Pennsylvania Directory, 1888-89 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boyd's directory of Delaware County, Penna., 1899-1900 : containing a general directory of Chester City, and of the towns of C (search.ancestry.com)
- Boyd's directory of Delaware County, Penna., 1897-98 : containing a general directory of Chester City (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1891-92 : consolidated with the borough of South Chester and including the boroughs of Upland, Eddyston (search.ancestry.com)
- Spencer's Chester city directory for 1898-99 : including the boroughs of Upland and Eddystone : containing a general directory (search.ancestry.com)
- Spencer's Chester city directory for 1895-96 : including the boroughs of South Chester, Upland, and Eddystone : containing a g (search.ancestry.com)
- Spencer's Chester city directory for 1893-94 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1889-90 : consolidated with the borough of South Chester and including the boroughs of Upland and Eddys (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1885-86 : including the boroughs of South Chester, North Chester, Upland and Media : containing a gener (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1883-84 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1887-88 : consolidated with the boroughs of North and South Chester, and including the borough of Uplan (search.ancestry.com)
- Farm and business directory of Delaware County, Pennsylvania : with a complete road map of the county. (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1882-83 : including the boroughs of South Chester and Upland : containing a general directory of the ci (search.ancestry.com)
- Business directory of Delaware County, Pa., for 1893-95 : to which is appended a directory of the principal farmers of the coun (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester directory for 1872-73 (search.ancestry.com)
- The Chester city directory, 1880-81 : including the borough of South Chester : containing a general directory of the citizens, (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester and Delaware Co. directory for 1869-70 : containing the names of the inhabitants, together with a town business directo (search.ancestry.com)
- The Chester city directory, 1879-80 : containing a general directory of the citizens, a partnership directory, a street directo (search.ancestry.com)
- Media directory, 1915-16 : including a business and residential directory of the following towns : South Media, Collingdale, Mo (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of the borough of Lansdowne, East Lansdowne, and vicinity, 1910 (search.ancestry.com)