Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Delaware County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Delaware County, PA Created?
Delaware County was established on September 6, 1789 from Chester County. The county was named for the Delaware River, itself named for the Delaware tribe.
What is the County Seat of Delaware County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Media and in addition the county government website is www.co.delaware.pa.us
What counties are adjacent to Delaware County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Montgomery County (north), Philadelphia County (east), Gloucester County, New Jersey (southeast), New Castle County DE (southwest), Chester County (west).
What cities and towns are in Delaware County, PA?
Municipalities located in Delaware County include Townships: Aston, Bethel, Chadds Ford, Chester, Concord, Darby, Edgmont, Haverford, Lower Chichester, Marple, Middletown, Nether Providence, Newtown, Radnor, Ridley, Springfield, Thornbury, Tinicum, Upper Chichester, Upper Darby, Upper Providence. Boroughs: Aldan, Brookhaven, Chester Heights, Clifton Heights, Collingdale, Colwyn, Darby, East Lansdowne, Eddystone, Folcroft, Folsom, Glenolden, Lansdowne, Marcus Hook, Media, Millbourne, Morton, Norwood, Parkside, Prospect Park, Ridley Park, Rose Valley, Rutledge, Sharon Hill, Swarthmore, Trainer, Upland, Yeadon. Cities & Towns: ?. See also Delaware County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Delaware County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Delaware County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Delaware County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Delaware County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Delaware County, PA Census Records
What Delaware County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Delaware County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Delaware Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Delaware County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Delaware County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Delaware County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Delaware County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Delaware County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 201 West Front Street, Media, PA 19063
- Delaware County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 610-891-4152
- Land Records: 1789
- Delaware County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 610-891-4260
- Court & Divorce Records: 1789
- Delaware County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 610-891-4400
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1789
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Delaware County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Delaware County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Delaware County, PA?
A list of Delaware County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Delaware County Historical Society, 408 Ave. of the States, Chester, PA 19013; (610) 359-0826
- Delaware County Archives, 201 West Front Street, Media, PA 19063; Birth and Death Records: (610) 891-5620; Marriage Records: (610) 891-4403; Divorce Records: (610) 891-4370
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Delaware County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Delaware County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Delaware County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Delaware Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Delaware Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Delaware Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Delaware Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Delaware Co. PA General and History Websites
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania (delcohistory.org)
- Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of Chester and Delaware Counties, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of Delaware County, Pennsylvania, and its people (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Delaware County, Pennsylvania : from the discovery of the territory included within its limits to the present time, (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical and historical cyclopedia of Delaware County, Pennsylvania : comprising a historical sketch of the county (search.ancestry.com)
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Delaware Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Delaware (cyndislist.com)
- Delaware County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Delaware Co. PAGenweb (delcogenweb.org)
- Delaware County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Delaware County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Delaware Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Delaware Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Delaware Co. PA Military Records
Delaware Co. PA Schools & Directories
- Chester City, Pennsylvania Directory, 1888-89 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boyd's directory of Delaware County, Penna., 1899-1900 : containing a general directory of Chester City, and of the towns of C (search.ancestry.com)
- Boyd's directory of Delaware County, Penna., 1897-98 : containing a general directory of Chester City (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1891-92 : consolidated with the borough of South Chester and including the boroughs of Upland, Eddyston (search.ancestry.com)
- Spencer's Chester city directory for 1898-99 : including the boroughs of Upland and Eddystone : containing a general directory (search.ancestry.com)
- Spencer's Chester city directory for 1895-96 : including the boroughs of South Chester, Upland, and Eddystone : containing a g (search.ancestry.com)
- Spencer's Chester city directory for 1893-94 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1889-90 : consolidated with the borough of South Chester and including the boroughs of Upland and Eddys (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1885-86 : including the boroughs of South Chester, North Chester, Upland and Media : containing a gener (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1883-84 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1887-88 : consolidated with the boroughs of North and South Chester, and including the borough of Uplan (search.ancestry.com)
- Farm and business directory of Delaware County, Pennsylvania : with a complete road map of the county. (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester city directory, 1882-83 : including the boroughs of South Chester and Upland : containing a general directory of the ci (search.ancestry.com)
- Business directory of Delaware County, Pa., for 1893-95 : to which is appended a directory of the principal farmers of the coun (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester directory for 1872-73 (search.ancestry.com)
- The Chester city directory, 1880-81 : including the borough of South Chester : containing a general directory of the citizens, (search.ancestry.com)
- Chester and Delaware Co. directory for 1869-70 : containing the names of the inhabitants, together with a town business directo (search.ancestry.com)
- The Chester city directory, 1879-80 : containing a general directory of the citizens, a partnership directory, a street directo (search.ancestry.com)
- Media directory, 1915-16 : including a business and residential directory of the following towns : South Media, Collingdale, Mo (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of the borough of Lansdowne, East Lansdowne, and vicinity, 1910 (search.ancestry.com)