Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy and Facts
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Cumberland Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Cumberland County was established on January 27, 1750 from Lancaster County. The county was named for the the historic English county of Cumberland.
Currently the Cumberland County Seat is located in Carlisle and in addition the county government website is www.ccpa.net/
Counties adjacent to Cumberland County are Perry County (north), Dauphin County (east), York County (southeast), Adams County (southwest), Franklin County (west).
Municipalities situated in Cumberland County consist of Townships: Cooke, Dickinson, East Pennsboro, Hampden, Hopewell, Lower Allen, Lower Frankford, Lower Mifflin, Middlesex, Monroe, North Middleton, North Newton, Penn, Shippensburg, Silver Spring, South Middleton, South Newton, Southampton, Upper Allen, Upper Frankford, Upper Mifflin, West Pennsboro. Boroughs: Camp Hill, Carlisle, Lemoyne, Mechanicsburg, Mount Holly Springs, New Cumberland, Newburg, Newville, Shippensburg, Shiremanstown, Wormleysburg. See also Cumberland County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Cumberland County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cumberland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Cumberland County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Cumberland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Cumberland County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Cumberland County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Cumberland County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Cumberland County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Cumberland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Square, Carlisle, PA 17013
- Phone: (717) 240-6345
- Cumberland County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 717.240.6370
- Land Records: 1750
- Cumberland County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 717.240.6195
- Court & Divorce Records: 1750
- Cumberland County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 717.240.6345
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1750
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Cumberland County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Cumberland County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Cumberland County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Cumberland County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cumberland Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cumberland Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cumberland Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cumberland Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cumberland Co. PA Census Records
Cumberland Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cumberland Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Cumberland Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cumberland Co. PA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Pennsylvania
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- William Allen and Cumberland County place names : a paper read at the annual dinner-meeting of the Cumberland County Historical (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Cumberland and Adams counties, Pennsylvania : containing history of the counties, their townships, towns, villages, (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical annals of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citiz (search.ancestry.com)
- The history and topography of Dauphin, Cumberland, Franklin, Bedford, Adams, Perry, Somerset, Cambria & Indiana counties : cont (search.ancestry.com)
- Alumni record, Dickinson College (search.ancestry.com)
- Dickinson College : the history of one hundred and fifty years, 1783-1933 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Cumberland Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Cumberland (cyndislist.com)
- Cumberland County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Cumberland Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Cumberland Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Cumberland Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Cumberland Co. PA Military Records
Cumberland Co. PA Schools & Directories