Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Cumberland County, PA Created?
Cumberland County was established on January 27, 1750 from Lancaster County. The county was named for the the historic English county of Cumberland.
What is the County Seat of Cumberland County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Carlisle and in addition the county government website is www.ccpa.net/
What counties are adjacent to Cumberland County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Perry County (north), Dauphin County (east), York County (southeast), Adams County (southwest), Franklin County (west).
What cities and towns are in Cumberland County, PA?
Municipalities located in Cumberland County include Townships: Cooke, Dickinson, East Pennsboro, Hampden, Hopewell, Lower Allen, Lower Frankford, Lower Mifflin, Middlesex, Monroe, North Middleton, North Newton, Penn, Shippensburg, Silver Spring, South Middleton, South Newton, Southampton, Upper Allen, Upper Frankford, Upper Mifflin, West Pennsboro. Boroughs: Camp Hill, Carlisle, Lemoyne, Mechanicsburg, Mount Holly Springs, New Cumberland, Newburg, Newville, Shippensburg, Shiremanstown, Wormleysburg. See also Cumberland County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Cumberland County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Cumberland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Cumberland County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Cumberland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Cumberland County, PA Census Records
What Cumberland County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Cumberland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cumberland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cumberland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Cumberland County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Cumberland County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Cumberland County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Cumberland County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Cumberland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Square, Carlisle, PA 17013
- Phone: (717) 240-6345
- Cumberland County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 717.240.6370
- Land Records: 1750
- Cumberland County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 717.240.6195
- Court & Divorce Records: 1750
- Cumberland County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 717.240.6345
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1750
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Cumberland County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania Quarter Session Dockets 1750-1785
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Cumberland County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Cumberland County, PA?
A list of Cumberland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Cumberland County Historical Society, 21 N. Pitt St., Carlisle, PA 17013-1945; (717) 249-7610
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Cumberland County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Cumberland County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cumberland County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Cumberland Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cumberland Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cumberland Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Pennsylvania Cemetery Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Memories of Carlisle's old graveyard : containing a list of the inscriptions on all stones in the enclosure in 1898 and descri (search.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland Co., Pennsylvania Graves (findagrave.com)
- Cumberland County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Cumberland Co., Pennsylvania Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Cumberland Co., Pennsylvania Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Pennsylvania Church Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 1896-1936 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania Church Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania Church Books (amazon.com)
Cumberland Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cumberland Co. PA General and History Websites
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- William Allen and Cumberland County place names : a paper read at the annual dinner-meeting of the Cumberland County Historical (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Cumberland and Adams counties, Pennsylvania : containing history of the counties, their townships, towns, villages, (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical annals of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citiz (search.ancestry.com)
- The history and topography of Dauphin, Cumberland, Franklin, Bedford, Adams, Perry, Somerset, Cambria & Indiana counties : cont (search.ancestry.com)
- Alumni record, Dickinson College (search.ancestry.com)
- Dickinson College : the history of one hundred and fifty years, 1783-1933 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Cumberland Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Cumberland (cyndislist.com)
- Cumberland County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Cumberland Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Cumberland County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Cumberland Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Cumberland Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Cumberland Co. PA Military Records
Cumberland Co. PA Schools & Directories