Centre County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Centre County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Centre County, PA Created?
Centre County was established on February 13, 1800, from parts of Lycoming County, Mifflin County, Huntingdon County and Northampton County. The county was named for the Centre Furnance, the first industrial facility in the area.
What is the County Seat of Centre County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Bellefonte and in addition the county government website is www.co.centre.pa.us
What counties are adjacent to Centre County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Clinton County (north), Union County (east), Mifflin County (southeast), Huntingdon County (south), Blair County (south), Clearfield County (west), Cambria County (southwest).
What cities and towns are in Centre County, PA?
Municipalities located in Centre County include Townships: Benner, Boggs, Burnside, College, Curtin, Ferguson, Gregg, Haines, Halfmoon, Harris, Howard, Huston, Liberty, Marion, Miles, Patton, Penn, Rush, Potter, Snow Shoe, Spring, Taylor, Union, Walker, Worth. Boroughs: Bellefonte, Centre Hall, Howard, Milesburg, Millheim, Philipsburg, Port Matilda, Snow Shoe, South Philipsburg, State College, Unionville. See also Centre County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Centre County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Centre County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Centre County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Centre County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Centre County, PA Census Records
What Centre County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Centre County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Centre Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Centre Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Centre Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Centre County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Centre County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Centre County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Centre County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Centre County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 414 Holmes Avenue, Bellefonte, PA 16823
- Phone: (814) 355-6724
- Centre County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (814) 355-6801
- Land Records: 1801
- Centre County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (814) 355-6796
- Court & Divorce Records: 1800
- Centre County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (814)-355-6724
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1800
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Centre County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Slave Records 1803-1820
- Historical Records Imaging Project
- Wills of Centre County, Pa., 1800-1853
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Centre County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Centre County, PA?
A list of Centre County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Centre County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1135, State College 16804-1135
- Centre County Historical Society, 1001 E. College Avenue, State College, PA 16801
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Centre County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Centre County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Centre County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Centre Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Centre Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Centre Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Centre Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Centre Co. PA General and History Websites
- Centre County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Historical Sketches (co.centre.pa.us) A brief history of Centre County
- Commemorative biographical record of central Pennsylvania : including the counties of Centre, Clearfield, Jefferson and Clarion (search.ancestry.com)
- History and topography of Northumberland, Huntingdon, Mifflin, Centre, Union, Columbia, Juniata and Clinton Counties, Pa. : emb (search.ancestry.com)
- Centre County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Centre Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Centre County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Centre (cyndislist.com)
- Centre County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Centre Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Centre County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Centre County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Centre Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Centre Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Centre Co. PA Military Records