Bedford County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Bedford County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Bedford County, PA Created?
Bedford County was established on March 9, 1771, from part of Cumberland County. The county was named in honor of Fort Bedford, which is named for John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.
What is the County Seat of Bedford County, PA?
The County Seat is located in Bedford and in addition the county government website is www.bedfordcountypa.org
What counties are adjacent to Bedford County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Blair County (north), Huntingdon County (northeast), Fulton County (east), Allegany County, Maryland (southwest), Somerset County (west), Cambria County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Bedford County, PA?
Municipalities located in Bedford County include Townships: Bedford, Bloomfield, Broad Top, Colerain, Cumberland Valley, East Providence, East St. Clair, Harrison, Hopewell, Juniata, Kimmel, King, Liberty, Lincoln, Londonderry, Mann, Monroe, Napier, Pavia, Snake Spring, South Woodbury, Southampton, West Providence, West St. Clair, Woodbury. Boroughs: Bedford, Coaldale, Everett, Hopewell, Hyndman, Manns Choice, New Paris, Pleasantville, Rainsburg, St. Clairsville, Saxton, Schellsburg, Woodbury. See also Bedford County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Bedford County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Bedford County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Bedford County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Bedford County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Births, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1790
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Records of Marriages, 1885-1889
- Pennsylvania Marriages to 1810
- Pennsylvania, Marriage Records, 1700-1821
- Pennsylvania, Lutheran Baptisms and Marriages
- Pennsylvania, Deaths, 1852-1854
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
- Pennsylvania, Order Sons of Italy in America, Enrollment and Death Benefit Records, 1910-1968
Bedford County, PA Census Records
What Bedford County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Bedford County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bedford Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bedford Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bedford Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Bedford County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
Bedford County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Bedford County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Bedford County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Bedford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 South Juliana Street, Bedford PA 15522
- Phone: (814) 623-4833
- Bedford County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 814-623-4836
- Land Records: 1771
- Bedford County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 814-623-4833
- Court & Divorce Records: 1771
- Bedford County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 814-623-4836
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1771
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Bedford County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Index to wills, Bedford County, Pennsylvania
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Bedford County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Bedford County, PA?
A list of Bedford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Pioneer Historical Society of Bedford County, 242 E. John St., Bedford, PA 15522; (814) 623-2011
- Bedford County Historical Society, 6441 Lincoln Highway, Bedford, PA 15522
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Bedford County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Bedford County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Bedford County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Bedford Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bedford Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bedford Co. PA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Bedford Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bedford Co. PA General and History Websites
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Bedford, Somerset, and Fulton Counties, Pennsylvania : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its p (search.ancestry.com)
- The history and topography of Dauphin, Cumberland, Franklin, Bedford, Adams, Perry, Somerset, Cambria & Indiana counties : cont (search.ancestry.com)
- The Kernel of greatness : an informal bicentennial history of Bedford County (search.ancestry.com)
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Bedford Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Bedford (cyndislist.com)
- Bedford County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Bedford Co. PAGenweb (pagenweb.org)
- Bedford County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Bedford Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Bedford Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Bedford Co. PA Military Records