Bedford County, Pennsylvania
Bedford County was established on March 9, 1771, from part of Cumberland County. The county was named in honor of Fort Bedford, which is named for John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.
Currently the Bedford County Seat is located in Bedford and in addition the county government website is www.bedfordcountypa.org
Counties adjacent to Bedford County are Blair County (north), Huntingdon County (northeast), Fulton County (east), Allegany County, Maryland (southwest), Somerset County (west), Cambria County (northwest).
Municipalities situated in Bedford County consist of Townships: Bedford, Bloomfield, Broad Top, Colerain, Cumberland Valley, East Providence, East St. Clair, Harrison, Hopewell, Juniata, Kimmel, King, Liberty, Lincoln, Londonderry, Mann, Monroe, Napier, Pavia, Snake Spring, South Woodbury, Southampton, West Providence, West St. Clair, Woodbury. Boroughs: Bedford, Coaldale, Everett, Hopewell, Hyndman, Manns Choice, New Paris, Pleasantville, Rainsburg, St. Clairsville, Saxton, Schellsburg, Woodbury. See also Bedford County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Bedford County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Bedford County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
Bedford County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bedford Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bedford Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bedford Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Bedford County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Bedford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Pennsylvania (raogk.org)
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Pioneer Historical Society of Bedford County, 242 E. John St., Bedford, PA 15522; (814) 623-2011
- Bedford County Historical Society, 6441 Lincoln Highway, Bedford, PA 15522
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bedford County
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bedford County
Bedford County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Bedford County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Bedford County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Bedford County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Bedford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 South Juliana Street, Bedford PA 15522
- Phone: (814) 623-4833
- Bedford County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 814-623-4836
- Land Records: 1771
- Bedford County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 814-623-4833
- Court & Divorce Records: 1771
- Bedford County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 814-623-4836
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1771
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Bedford County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
Bedford County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Bedford County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Bedford County genealogy or family history related sites.
Bedford Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bedford Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bedford Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bedford Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bedford Co. PA Census Records
Bedford Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bedford Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Bedford Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bedford Co. PA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Pennsylvania
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Bedford, Somerset, and Fulton Counties, Pennsylvania : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its p (search.ancestry.com)
- The history and topography of Dauphin, Cumberland, Franklin, Bedford, Adams, Perry, Somerset, Cambria & Indiana counties : cont (search.ancestry.com)
- The Kernel of greatness : an informal bicentennial history of Bedford County (search.ancestry.com)
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Bedford Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Bedford (cyndislist.com)
- Bedford County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Bedford Co. PAGenweb (pagenweb.org)
- Bedford County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Bedford Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Bedford Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Bedford Co. PA Military Records