Beaver County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy and Facts
Beaver County, Pennsylvania genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Beaver Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Beaver County was established on March 12, 1800 from parts of Allegheny County and Washington County. The county was named for the Beaver River, itself named for the eponymous animal that was sighted along its banks.
Currently the Beaver County Seat is located in Beaver and in addition the county government website is www.beavercountypa.gov
Counties adjacent to Beaver County are Lawrence County (north), Butler County (east), Allegheny County (southeast), Washington County (southeast), Hancock County, West Virginia (west), Columbiana County, Ohio (west).
Municipalities situated in Beaver County consist of Townships: Brighton, Center, Chippewa, Darlington, Daugherty, Franklin, Greene, Hanover, Harmony, Hopewell, Independence, Marion, New Sewickley, North Sewickley, Patterson, Potter, Pulaski, Raccoon, Rochester, South Beaver, Vanport, White. Boroughs: Ambridge, Baden, Beaver, Big Beaver, Bridgewater, Conway, Darlington, East Rochester, Eastvale, Economy, Ellwood City, Fallston, Frankfort Springs, Freedom, Georgetown, Glasgow, Homewood, Hookstown, Industry, Koppel, Midland, Monaca, New Brighton, New Galilee, Ohioville, Patterson Heights, Rochester, Shippingport, South Heights, West Mayfield. Cities & Towns: Aliquippa, Beaver Falls. See also Beaver County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Beaver County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Beaver Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Beaver Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Beaver Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Beaver County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Beaver County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Pennsylvania State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Beaver County Genealogy and History Center, 1301 7th Avenue, Beaver Falls, PA 15010
- Beaver County Historical Research & Landmarks, 1235 3rd Avenue, Freedom, PA 15042
- Beaver County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Beaver County
- Beaver County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Beaver County
Beaver County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Beaver County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Beaver County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Beaver County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county. Beaver County was attached to Allegheny County until 1803.
- Beaver County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 810 Third Street, Beaver, PA 15009
- Phone: (724) 728-5700
- Beaver County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 724-770-4560
- Land Records: 1803
- Beaver County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 724-770-4590
- Court & Divorce Records: 1800
- Beaver County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 724-770-4550
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1800
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Beaver County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Beaver County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Beaver County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Beaver County genealogy or family history related sites.
Beaver Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Beaver Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Beaver Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Beaver Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Beaver Co. PA Census Records
Beaver Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Beaver Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Beaver Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Beaver Co. PA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Pennsylvania
- Beaver County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Beaver County, Pennsylvania and its centennial celebration (search.ancestry.com)
- Beaver County, Pennsylvania History (search.ancestry.com)
- Book of biographies : this volume contains biographical sketches of leading citizens of Beaver County, Pennsylvania. (search.ancestry.com)
- Beaver Falls, Pa. 75th anniversary, January 16th to 21st, 1944 (search.ancestry.com)
- Beaver County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Beaver Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Beaver County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Beaver (cyndislist.com)
- Beaver County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Beaver Co. PAGenweb (pagenweb.org)
- Beaver County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Beaver County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Beaver Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Beaver Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Beaver Co. PA Military Records
Beaver Co. PA Schools & Directories