Wyandot County, Ohio
Wyandot County was created on February 3, 1845 from Crawford County, Hancock County, Hardin County and Marion County. This county was named for the Wyandot Indians .
The Wyandot County Seat is located in Upper Sandusky also, the county government website is www.co.wyandot.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Wyandot County are Seneca County (north), Crawford County (east), Marion County (south), Hardin County (southwest), Hancock County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Wyandot County include Upper Sandusky, Carey, Harpster, Kirby, Marseilles, Nevada, Sycamore, Wharton. Other communities include Include McCutchenville. .
Wyandot County Townships include Antrim, Crane, Crawford, Eden, Jackson, Marseilles, Mifflin, Pitt, Richland, Ridge, Salem, Sycamore, Tymochtee.
Wyandot County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wyandot County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Wyandot County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wyandot Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wyandot Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wyandot Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Wyandot County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wyandot County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wyandot County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 414, Upper Sandusky, OH 43351-0414; Wyandot County Chapter, OGS meets the third Monday of each month at 6:30pm; at the Upper Sandusky Community Library January, March, April, May, June, August, October; February off site; July Picnic at Stepping Stones Park; November, Pioneer Banquet. The Wyandot County Tracers preserves Wyandot County's genealogical history with holdings housed in the Heritage Room of the Upper Sandusky Library.
- Wyandot County Historical Society, PO Box 372, Upper Sandusky, OH 43351-0372; Phone: (419) 294-3857; The Wyandot County Historical Society preserves the history and culture of Wyandot County and provides an educational experience for area schoolchildren in its 1853 McConnell House Museum.
- Mohawk Historical Society, PO Box 336, Sycamore, OH 44882-0336
- Wyandot County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Wyandot County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wyandot County
- Wyandot County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wyandot County
Wyandot County Courthouse and Government Records
Wyandot County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Wyandot County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Wyandot County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Wyandot County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Wyandot County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 109 S., Sandusky Ave., Upper Sandusky 43351-1497
- Phone: (419) 294-3836
- Wyandot County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-294-2300
- Marriage Records: 1845
- Probate Records: 1845
- Wyandot County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-294-1442
- Land Records: 1826
- Wyandot County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-294-1432
- Court Records: 1845
- The Wyandot County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Wyandot County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wyandot County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Wyandot County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wyandot Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wyandot Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wyandot Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wyandot Co. OH Census Records
Wyandot Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wyandot Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Wyandot Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wyandot Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Wyandot County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- The History of Wyandot County, Ohio : containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, churches, schools, etc., genera (search.ancestry.com)
- Wyandot County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Wyandot County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Wyandot Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Wyandot County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Wyandot County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Wyandot (cyndislist.com)
- Wyandot Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Wyandot County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Wyandot Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Wyandot Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Wyandot Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wyandot Co. OH Military Records