Wood County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Wood County was created on April 1, 1820 from from the lands purchased from the Wyandot, Seneca, Delaware,
Shawnee, Potawatomi, Ottawa, and Chippewa tribes as a result
of the Lower Maumee Treaty of
September 28, 1817.. This county was named for Eleazer D. Wood (1783 -1814), founder of Fort Meigs.
The Wood County Seat is located in Bowling Green also, the county government website is www.co.wood.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Wood County are Lucas County (north), Ottawa County (northeast), Sandusky County (east), Seneca County (southeast), Hancock County (south), Putnam County (southwest corner), Henry County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Wood County include Bowling Green, Fostoria, Northwood, Perrysburg, Rossford, Bairdstown, Bloomdale, Bradner, Custar, Cygnet, Grand Rapids, Haskins, Hoytville, Jerry City, Luckey, Millbury, Milton Center, North Baltimore, Pemberville, Portage, Rising Sun, Tontogany, Wallbridge, Wayne, West Millgrove, Weston. Other communities include Dunbridge, Lemoyne, Moline, Rudolph, Stony Ridge.
Wood County Townships include Bloom, Center, Freedom, Grand Rapids, Henry, Jackson, Lake, Liberty, Middleton, Milton, Montgomery, Perry, Perrysburg, Plain, Portage, Troy, Washington, Webster, Weston.
Wood County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wood County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Wood County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wood Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wood Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wood Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Wood County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wood County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wood County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 722, Bowling Green, OH 43402-0722; Phone: (419) 352-3303; Wood County Chapter, OGS meets at the Wood County District Library, 251 N. Main St., Bowling Green, unless announced otherwise, on the fourth Tuesday September through May, except November and December, from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. This OGS Chapter aids individuals interested in family and local history with monthly meetings, a newsletter, and research field trips. It also receives and publishes manuscripts, books, and family histories and makes them available for purchase and research at the Wood County Library and the Local and Family History Center in Bowling Green.
- Wood County Historical Center & Museum Christie Raber
13660 County Home Rd
Bowling Green, OH 43402-9281
Phone: (419) 352-0967; The Wood County Historical Center/Museum's fifty-acre site, once the grounds of the former county poor farm built in the late nineteenth century, includes nature trails, herb gardens, pauper's cemetery, Lunatic House, barns and the sixty-room museum/infirmary building. Its holdings include extensive, diverse local history collections.
- Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Jerome Library, 5th Floor, Bowling Green, OH 43403; Phone: (419) 372-2411; The Center for Archival Collections is a local history repository at Bowling Green State University, collecting materials that document the history of Northwest Ohio and Bowling Green State University. Collections include archives, public records, manuscripts, newspapers and photographs
- American Civil War Museum of Ohio, 123 E Court St, Bowling Green, OH 43402; Phone: (419) 352-0209; The American Civil War Museum of Ohio is an organization formed to satisfy our community's need for a unique educational museum by collecting, preserving, and interpreting the American Civil War and its impact on the current generation of American people.
- Grand Rapids Historical Society, PO Box 124, Grand Rapids, OH 43522-0124; Phone: (419) 832-2254; The Grand Rapids Historical Society hosts an annual Apple Butter Festival on the second Sunday in October with historic reenactments.
- Historic Perrysburg Inc , PO Box 703, Perrysburg, OH 43552-0703; Phone: (419) 874-8554; Historic Perrysburg is a historic preservation organization and the nearest thing to a historical organization in Perrysburg.
- Historical Society of Weston, PO Box 229, Weston, OH 43569;
- North Baltimore Area Historical Society , PO Box 174, North Baltimore, OH 45872-0174; Phone: (419) 257-2266; The North Baltimore Area Historical Society is in a historic Queen Ann style house, built in 1879, which houses collections of early photographs of North Baltimore, school yearbooks, trophies and other school memorabilia. Other items include a Civil War flag made by the women of the community in 1861, a Masonic sword belonging to Dr. A.G. Henry, builder of the first Opera House in 1889 and a special display of oil and railroad photographs.
- Pemberville-Freedom Area Historical Society, PO Box 802, Pemberville, OH 43450-0802; Phone: (419) 287-3274; The Pemberville-Freedom Area Historical Society restored the 1840 Pember-Furry House, the oldest residence in Pemberville, and a one-room wooden schoolhouse. It has restored the village's Opera House, located in the Town Hall.
- Perrysburg Area Historic Museum, Inc., PO Box 1294, Perrysburg, OH 43551-1294; Phone: (419) 874-6828; The Perrysburg Area Historic Museum will be open at a later date.
- Risingsun Area Historical Society, 8271 US Rt 23, Risingsun, OH 43457-0136; Phone: (419) 457-4181; The Risingsun Area Historical Society maintains a museum in the town hall and the Risingsun Opera House where silent picture actress, Lillian Gish, made her first public appearance at the age of six.
- Wood County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Wood County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wood County
- Wood County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wood County
Wood County Courthouse and Government Records
Wood County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Wood County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Wood County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Wood County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Wood County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Courthouse Square, Bowling Green 43402-2427
- Phone: (419) 354-9280
- Wood County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419.354.9230
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Probate Records: 1820
- Wood County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-354-914
- Land Records: 1820
- Wood County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-354-9280
- Court Records: 1823
- The Wood County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Wood County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wood County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Wood County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wood Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wood Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wood Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wood Co. OH Census Records
Wood Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wood Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Wood Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wood Co. OH General and History Websites
Wood Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Wood Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wood Co. OH Military Records