Washington County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Washington County, Ohio Facts
When was Washington County, OH Created?
Washington County was created on July 27, 1788 from Unorganized Land. This county was named forGeorge Washington (1732–1799), commander of the Continental Army, president of the Constitutional Convention, and future U.S. President .
What is the County Seat of Washington County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Marietta also, the county government website is www.washingtongov.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Washington County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Noble County (north), Monroe County (northeast), Tyler County, West Virginia (east), Pleasants County, West Virginia (southeast), Wood County, West Virginia (south), Athens County (southwest), Morgan County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Washington County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Belpre, Marietta, Beverly, Lowell, Lower Salem, Macksburg, Matamoras. Other communities include Barlow, Bartlett, Coal Run, Cutler, Fleming, Germantown, Little Hocking, Newport, Reno, Vincent, Waterford, Watertown, Whipple, Wingett Run, Devola.
What townships are in Washington County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Adams, Aurelius, Barlow, Belpre, Decatur, Dunham, Fairfield, Fearing, Grandview, Independence, Lawrence, Liberty, Ludlow, Marietta, Muskingum, Newport, Palmer, Salem, Warren, Waterford, Watertown, Wesley.
Washington County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Washington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Washington County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Washington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Washington County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Washington County, OH Census Records
What Washington County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Washington County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Washington County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Washington County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Washington County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Washington County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 205 Putnam St., Marietta 45750-3017
- Phone: (740) 373-6623
- Washington County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 373-6623 Ext. 253
- Marriage Records: 1789
- Probate Records: 1789
- Washington County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (740) 373-6623
- Land Records: 1788
- Washington County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740)373-6623
- Court Records: 1790
- Abstract of Probate Records, Washington County, Ohio
- Abstracts of wills and administrations of estates of Washington County, Ohio
- Washington Co. Land Records
- Washington Co. Court Records
- Washington Co. Wills
- BLM Land Records
- Washington County USGenWeb Archives Project
Washington County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Washington County, OH?
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Washington County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 2174, Marietta, OH 45750-2174; Washington County Chapter, OGS meets the third Saturday of each month at St. Luke's Episcopal Church, 320 Second St., Marietta, at 2:00pm. Meetings are open to the public and visitors are always welcome. This OGS Chapter maintains a library with monthly meetings that occur the third Saturday of the month in the Second Congregational Church, Highway 26 in Marietta.
- Washington Co Historical Society and Archives, P. O. Box 103, Marietta, OH 45750-0103; (740) 373-1788; Phone: (740) 373-1788; The Washington County Historical Society maintains the Fearing House Museum that houses furnishings dating from the 1860s-1890s. The Society's library, located at 417 Second Street in Marietta, contains collections of manuscripts, periodicals, books, maps, and documents pertaining to Washington County. The Society has recently acquired a historic home that it is currently being rehabilitated to serve as the Society's home.
- Washington County Public Library Local History and Genealogy Services, 418 Washington St., Marietta, OH 45750-1992; 740-376-2172, fax 740-376-2175
- Belpre Historical Society, PO Box 731, Belpre, OH 45714-0731; Phone: (740) 423-7588; The Belpre Historical Society Museum Education Center collects Belpre area artifacts, archival and genealogy information. Host's history related programs/workshops for regular and special meetings. Items of interest c.1840 restored C-spring carriage, c. 1876 Parlor, Southeastern Ohio Underground Railroad Exhibit by Henry Burke.
- Campus Martius/Ohio River Museum, 601 2nd St, Marietta, OH 45750-2122; Phone: (800) 860-0145; The Campus Martius and Ohio River Museums are sites of the Ohio Historical Society. Campus Martius deals with the settlement of Marietta, the late 19th century movement of farmers to the cities, and Appalachian people into Ohio's industrial centers. The Ohio River Museum deals with all aspects of United States inland river heritage, especially the history of steamboats.
- Lower Muskingum Historical Society, PO Box 525, Beverly, OH 45715; Phone: (740) 984-4250; The Lower Muskingum Historical Society's collection includes spinning wheels, dolls, organs, and the contents of a doctor's office. The property includes an original 1800s Log Cabin and a new barn with farm equipment, tools, a forge, and an anvil.
- Matamoras Area Historical Society Inc, PO Box 1846, New Matamoras, OH 45767-0186; Phone: (740) 865-3706; The Matamoras Area Historical Society maintains a museum that reflects the history of the European-American settlers who first arrived in the Grandview Township area in 1790.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Washington County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Washington County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County.
Washington Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Washington County Cemetery Index (wchs-ohio.org) 60,000 entries
- Washington Co., Ohio Graves (findagrave.com)
- Washington County Cemetery Transcriptions and Tombstone Photos (usgwarchives.net)
- Washington Co. Ohio Tombstone Photo Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Washington County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Washington Co., Ohio Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Washington Co., Ohio Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Mount Ephraim Church History website (mt.ephraim.tripod.com)
- Paragraphs, portraits and pictures supplementary to The history of St. Luke's Church, Marietta, Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- The history of Saint Luke's Church, Marietta, Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- Washington Co. Church Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Washington Co. Bible Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Washington County, Ohio Church Books (amazon.com)
Washington Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. OH General and History Websites
Washington Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Washington Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. OH Military Records