Trumbull County, Ohio
Trumbull County was created on July 10, 1800 from Jefferson County and Wayne County. This county was named for Jonathan Trumbull (1710-1785), Governor of Connecticut when the county was organized .
The Trumbull County Seat is located in Warren also, the county government website is www.co.trumbull.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Trumbull County are Ashtabula County (north), Crawford County, Pennsylvaina (northeast), Mercer County, Pennsylvaina (east), Mahoning County (south), Portage County (southwest), Geauga County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Trumbull County include Cortland, Girard, Hubbard, Newton Falls, Niles, Warren, Lordstown, McDonald, Orangeville, West Farmington, Yankee Lake. Other communities include Bristolville, Burghill, Center of the World, Farmdale, Fowler, Hartford, Kinsman, North Bloomfield, Southington, Bolindale, Brookfield Center, Champion Heights, Churchill, Hilltop, Howland Center, Leavittsburg, Maplewood Park, Masury, Mineral Ridge, South Canal, Vienna Center, West Hill.
Trumbull County Townships include Bazetta, Bloomfield, Braceville, Bristol, Brookfield, Champion, Farmington, Fowler, Greene, Gustavus, Hartford, Howland, Hubbard, Johnston, Kinsman, Liberty, Mecca, Mesopotamia, Newton, Southington, Vernon, Vienna, Warren, Weathersfield.
Trumbull County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Trumbull County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Trumbull County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Trumbull Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Trumbull Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Trumbull Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Trumbull County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Trumbull County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Trumbull County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 309, Warren, OH 44482-0309; Phone: (330) 988-9634; Trumbull County Chapter, OGS meets at the Warren-Trumbull County Library in the Thomas Meeting Room, 444 Mahoning Ave., NW, Warren, OH on the second Tuesday of each month; morning meetings on even months at 10:00am, and evening meetings on odd months at 6:00pm. This OGS Chapter publishes material on Trumbull County
- Trumbull County Historical Society, PO Box 1907, Warren, OH 44482-1907; Phone: (330) 394-4653;
- Trumbull County Archives / Microfilm Department
- Bloomfield Township Historical Society,
PO Box 94,
North Bloomfield, OH 44450-0094; The North Bloomfield Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation work being done at their historic town hall. They also are committed to education of local history and to preserving historical structures in their community.
- Bristol Historical Society, 4934 State Route 45 NW, Bristolville, OH 44402-9656; Phone: (330) 889-2555; The Bristol Historical Society preserves and collects information and artifacts relating to Bristol Township.
- Brookfield Historical Society, 5709 Amy Boyle Rd NE, Brookfield, OH 44403-9737
- Brookfield Township Historical Society, 6844 Strimbu Dr NE, Brookfield, OH 44403-9526; Phone: (330) 448-4500
- Cortland-Bazetta Historical Society , 224 N High St, Cortland, OH 44410-0411; Phone: (330) 638-8606; The Bazetta Cortland Historical Society, in conjunction with the local convention and visitor's bureau, conducts bus tours to the Opera House that interprets the history of the area, the Opera House, and the Chickering Square piano. The tour is followed by a brief concert on the piano. The Viets House Museum is open weekends 1-4 pm or by appointment.
- Fowler Township Historical Society, 4384 Youngstown-Kingsville Rd NE, Cortland, OH 44410-9722; Phone: (330) 637-2006; The Fowler Township Historical Society has two buildings which house the Fowler Township museums and are focused on local history with many of the items displayed either being donated or on loan from Fowler families. The time period of these articles is roughly 1800 to 1950. Farm and home items from this period are featured.
- Girard Historical Society, 436 E Prospect St, Girard, OH 44420-2653; The Girard Historical Society is presently renovating the Barnhisel House.
- Hartford Township Historical Society, 4730 SR 7, Burghill, OH 44404-9762; Phone: (330) 772-4531;
- Howland Historical Society, 752 Laurelwood SE, Warren, OH 44484-2423; Phone: (330) 856-1115
- Hubbard Historical Society, 27 Hager St, Hubbard, OH 44425-2027; Phone: (330) 534-4247; The Hubbard Historical Society seeks to preserve the history of Hubbard City and Township. To promote and instill civic pride through collecting and preserving records, documents, and artifacts of interest concerning Hubbard's history. The maintenance and upkeep of the McBride House as a museum to display exhibits of historical items and documents.
- Kinsman Historical Society, 8426 State St, Kinsman, OH 44428-9703; Phone: (330) 876-3175; The Kinsman Historical Society maintains displays and reference material in the Local History Room of the Kinsman Public Library. It holds six meetings per year that are open to the public.
- Liberty Historical Society, 1207 Naylor-Lloyd Rd, Girard, OH 44420-1535; Phone: (330) 539-6591; The Liberty Historical Society has monthly tours to sites of interest within a 100-mile area. They are trying to get a home to use as their museum.
- Lordstown Historical Society, 5708 Palmyra Rd SW, Warren, OH 44481-9712; Phone: (330) 399-1627; The Lordstown Historical Society is dedicated to preserving the history of Lordstown. The society operates the one room schoolhouse museum. The museum displays artifacts and memorabilia of Lordstown's schools and village.
- Niles Historical Society, 1040 Barclay St, Niles, OH 44446-3402; Phone: (330) 544-2143; The Niles Historical Society operates the Ward-Thomas House as its museum. Built in 1862 by area industrial leader James Ward, the House was listed on the National Register of Historical Places. They feature full size replicas of the White House Ladies gowns copied from the collection in the Smithsonian Museum.
- North Bloomfield Historical Society, 8528 SR 45, North Bloomfield, OH; Phone: (440) 685-4582
- Trumbull County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Trumbull County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Trumbull County
- Trumbull County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Trumbull County
Trumbull County Courthouse and Government Records
Trumbull County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Trumbull County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Trumbull County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Trumbull County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Trumbull County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 161 High St. NW, Warren, Ohio 44481
- Phone: 330-675-2521
- Trumbull County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 197 East Market Street, Warren, OH 44481
- Phone: (330) 299-0267
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1803
- Trumbull County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (330) 675-2401
- Land Records: 1795
- Trumbull County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 161 High Street, N.W., Warren, Ohio 44481
- Phone: (330) 675-2557
- Court Records: 1807
- The Trumbull County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Trumbull County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Trumbull County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Trumbull County genealogy or family history related sites.
Trumbull Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Trumbull Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Trumbull Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Trumbull Co. OH Census Records
Trumbull Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Trumbull Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Trumbull Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Trumbull Co. OH General and History Websites
Trumbull Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Trumbull Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Trumbull Co. OH Military Records
AlpineTrumbull Co. OH Schools & Directories