Stark County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Stark County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Stark Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Stark County was created on February 13, 1808 from Columbiana County and Muskingum County (Organized in 1809). This county was named for General John Stark (1728–1822) , a Revolutionary War officer; known as the "Hero of Bennington" for his exemplary service at the Battle of Bennington in 1777.
The Stark County Seat is located in Canton also, the county government website is http://www.co.stark.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Stark County are Portage County (north), Mahoning County (northeast), Columbiana County (east), Carroll County (southeast), Tuscarawas County (south), Holmes County (southwest), Wayne County (west), Summit County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Stark County include Alliance, Canal Fulton, Canton, Louisville, Massillon, North Canton, Beach City, Brewster, East Canton, East Sparta, Hartville, Hills and Dales, Limaville, Magnolia, Meyers Lake, Minerva, Navarre, Waynesburg, Wilmot. Other communities include Maximo, Middlebranch, North Lawrence, Paris, Robertsville, Greentown, Perry Heights, Uniontown.
Stark County Townships include Bethlehem, Canton, Jackson, Lake, Lawrence, Lexington, Marlboro, Nimishillen, Osnaburg, Paris, Perry, Pike, Plain, Sandy, Sugar Creek, Tuscarawas, Washington.
Stark County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Stark Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Stark Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Stark Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Stark County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Stark County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Stark County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 9035, Canton, OH 44711-9035; Stark County Chapter, OGS meets at the Stark County District Library, 715 Market Ave., in Canton, OH on the second Thursday of each month except December.
- Alliance Genealogical Society, PO Box 3630, Alliance, OH 44601-7630; The Alliance Genealogical Society researches and helps others to do research. It has four publications of local records and is working on more.
- Alliance Historical Society, PO Box 2044, Alliance, OH 44601-0044; Phone: (330) 821-2665; The Alliance Historical Society operates the Mabel Hartzell Historical Home, a Victorian-era restored home in the Italianate architectural style. Built in 1867 for prominent Alliance businessman and politician Matthew Earley, the house served as home to Earley's adopted daughter, Mabel Hartzell, a prominent educator and local leader for women's suffrage. Hartzell also founded the Alliance Historical Society.
- Brewster Historical Society , 7507 Hudson Dr SW, Navarre, OH 44662-9034; Phone: (330) 767-0045;
- Brewster-Sugarcreek Township Historical Society , 45 S Wabash, Brewster, OH 44613-1210; Phone: (330) 767-0045; A privately owned restaurant on the premises open every day except holidays. A complete guided tour of the building by appointment only.
- Canal Fulton Historic Preservation Commission, City Hall-City of Canal Fulton, 155 Market St E #A, Canal Fulton, OH 44614-1305; Phone: (330) 854-2225; The Commission is a governmental entity formed to protect the integrity of the village's Historical District.
- Canton Preservation Society , 131 Wertz Ave NW, Canton, OH 44708-4171; Phone: (330) 452-9341;
- City of Massillon Historic Preservation Commission, 151 Lincoln Way E, Massillon, OH 44646-6615; Phone: (330) 830-1721; The Massillon Historic Preservation Commission was established to maintain and enhance the distinctive character of historical buildings and historical areas within the City. The Commission can conduct hearings and make recommendations for designation of local historic properties and districts, as well as review requests for permits for alterations, additions, or demolition of listed properties.
- Heritage Society of Canal Fulton, 116 S Canal St, Canal Fulton, OH 44614-1317; Phone: (330) 854-3388; The Canal Fulton Heritage Society strives to advance, encourage and promote interest in the local history of Canal Fulton and the Ohio and Erie Canal. It operates several facilities including the Heritage House and Old Canal Days Museum, the E. J. McLaughlin Dry Dock and the Oberlin House Museum. Visitors can travel along an original section of the Ohio and Erie Canal in the Society's St. Helena III, a replica of a freight barge in use over 100 years ago.
- Jackson Township Historical Society , PO Box 35171, Canton, OH 44735-5171; Phone: (330) 830-8622;
- Lake Township Historical Society, PO Box 482, Uniontown, OH 44685-0482; Lake Township Historical Society maintains both sites for tours including bus tours. The museum has permanent and movable displays. The school house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The society provides research into Lake Township history, programs such as Fire Side Chats on history related subjects, takes part in local events, maintains an archives of historical related objects and materials, has home and garden tours, special holiday events and provides special programs for Lake Township Schools.
- Louisville Area Historic Preservation Society, 523 E Main St, Louisville, OH 44641-1421; Phone: (330) 875-1328; The Louisville Area Historic Preservation Society promotes local history in the town of Louisville.
- Louisville-Nimishillen Historical Society, 8063 Columbus Rd NE, Louisville, OH 44641; Phone: (330) 875-2829;
- Magnolia Area Historical Society, PO Box 276, Magnolia, OH 44643-0276; The Magnolia Area Historical Society is presently working on saving from destruction and preserving an 1811 Greek Revival Stagecoach Inn located in Magnolia.
- Marlboro Township Historical Society, 7344 Edison St, Hartville, OH 44632-9328; Phone: (330) 935-2862; The Marlboro Township Historical Society owns collections of photographs of early Marlboro Township, historical artifacts, school records, and pictures dating to 1893. They have a showcase in which various organizations/individuals arrange displays and they are currently composing a book of Marlboro history.
- Minerva Area Historical Society , PO Box 373, Minerva, OH 44657; Phone: (330) 894-2368; The Minerva Area Historical Society's collections include local history artifacts, research materials, and over 200 videos in its audiovisual library. A file of vital statistics going back to 1814 will be available for genealogical research.
- Navarre Bethlehem Township Historical Society, PO Box 291, 123 High St, Navarre, OH 44662-0291; Phone: (330) 879-5938; The Navarre-Bethlehem Township Historical Society preserves the history of the Navarre-Bethlehem area through its printed and artifactual collections.
- North Canton Heritage Society, 200 Charlotte St Ste 102, North Canton, OH 44720-2404; Phone: (330) 494-4791; The North Canton Heritage Society operates primarily as an archive facility, educating the community about the history of the North Canton area.
- Ohio Society of Military History, 316 Lincoln Way E, Massillon, OH 44646-8402; Phone: (330) 832-5553; The Ohio Society of Military History honors eight of Ohio's Congressional Medal of Honor recipients and provides displays on wars from the Civil War to Desert Storm, paying honor to veterans of all branches of military service. The Library contains over 2000 books, and the Society aids people in genealogical research and provides educational classes in local schools.
- Osnaburg Historical Society, 131 Nassau St E, East Canton, OH 44730-1317; The Osnaburg Historical Society maintains the Werner Inn, a federal style building on what was once the main east-west stagecoach route through eastern Stark County. Built in 1834, the Inn retains the original woodwork and period hardware.
- Pike Township Historical Society, PO Box 116, East Sparta, OH 44626-0116; Phone: (330) 866-2761
- Plain Township Historical Society, 2810 River Run Circle NW, North Canton, OH 44720-8111; Phone: (330) 494-6187
- Stark County Mennonite & Amish Historical Society, 1136 S Prospect Ave, Hartville, OH 44632-8707; Phone: (330) 877-9566; The Stark County Mennonite & Amish Historical Society's main emphasis is to create an awareness and appreciation of Amish and Mennonite history and to record oral histories and research written history.
- Stark Preservation Alliance, 8581 W Wadora Cir NW, North Canton, OH 44720-5065; The Alliance is a consortium of groups and individuals who promote the preservation of buildings, sites, artifacts, and documents in the Stark County area.
- Washington Township Hist Soc of Stark County, 5843 Beechwood Ave NE, Alliance, OH 44601-8192; Phone: (330) 821-9843;
- Stark County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Stark County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Stark County
- Stark County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Stark County
Stark County Courthouse and Government Records
Stark County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Stark County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Stark County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Stark County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Stark County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 115 Central Plaza, N., Canton 44702-1290
- Phone: (330) 438-0931
- Stark County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 110 Central Plaza South, Suite 501, Canton, Ohio 44702-1413
- Phone: (330) 451-7755
- Marriage Records: 1809
- Probate Records: 1810
- Stark County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 110 Central Plaza South, Suite 170, Canton, OH 44702-1409
- Phone: 330-451-7443
- Land Records: 1809
- Stark County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 330-451-7931
- Court Records: 1809
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Stark County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Stark County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Stark County genealogy or family history related sites.
Stark Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers Books & Publications Links for Ohio
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970) (genealogybank.com)
- Stark County: Indexes to Notices in the Ohio Repository 1815-1899 & Obituaries in the Canton Repository 1900-2004 (not yet complete; some years missing) (starklibrary.org) these are searchable PDF files
- Alliance Review Obituaries Index (Rodman Public Library) (roc.rodmanlibrary.com) Alliance, Ohio (coverage is spotty 1871-1959; full coverage from 1961-present)
- Evening Independent (Massillon, Ohio) (search.ancestry.com)
- Ohio, Stark County Coroner's Records, 1890-2002 (familysearch.org)
- Ohio, Stark County Court Records, 1809-1917 (familysearch.org)
- Ohio Repository, The (Canton, Ohio) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Massillon Independent (Massillon, Ohio) (search.ancestry.com)
- Stark County, Ohio Books (amazon.com)
Search Ohio Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Ohio Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
- Stark County Newspaper Articles (usgwarchives.net)
- Stark County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
Stark Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Stark Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Stark Co. OH Census Records
Stark Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Stark Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Stark Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Stark Co. OH General and History Websites
Stark Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Stark Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Stark Co. OH Military Records
Stark Co., OH Schools & Directories