Shelby County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Shelby County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Shelby Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Shelby County was created on April 1, 1819 from Miami County. This county was named for General Isaac Shelby (1750–1826), a Revolutionary War officer and Governor of Kentucky, .
The Shelby County Seat is located in Sidney also, the county government website is www.co.shelby.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Shelby County are Auglaize County (north), Logan County (east), Champaign County (southeast), Miami County (south), Darke County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Shelby County include Sidney, Anna, Botkins, Ft. Loramie, Jackson Center, Kettlersville, Lockington, Port Jefferson, Russia. Other communities include Houston, Kirkwood, Maplewood, Pemberton, Swanders.
Shelby County Townships include Clinton, Cynthian, Dinsmore, Franklin, Green, Jackson, Loramie, McLean, Orange, Perry, Salem, Turtle Creek, Van Buren, Washington.
Shelby County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Shelby Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shelby Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Shelby Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Shelby County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Shelby County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Shelby County Historical Society, PO Box 376, Sidney, OH 45365-0376; Phone: (937) 498-1653; The Shelby County Historical Society is an educational organization whose main purpose is to preserve historical resources and to promote historical awareness in Shelby County. The William A. Ross, Jr., Historical Center provides a display of artifacts from Shelby County's history as well as a totally indexed intranet research facility.
- Botkins Historical Society, 212 E State St, Botkins, OH 45306-9763; The Botkins Historical Society focuses on the collection and preservation of artifacts and anecdotes related to the founding and development of the culture, business, and people of Botkins.
- Fort Loramie Historical Association , PO Box 276, Fort Loramie, OH 45845-0276; Phone: (937) 295-3855; The Fort Loramie Historical Association provides a museum for exhibiting historical artifacts of the area.
- Jackson Center Historical Society, PO Box 473, Jackson Center, OH 45334-0473; Phone: (330) 653-9817; The Jackson Center Historical Society maintains a museum that displays many artifacts from the town and local farming community.
- Shelby County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Shelby County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Shelby County
- Shelby County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Shelby County
Shelby County Courthouse and Government Records
Shelby County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Shelby County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Shelby County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Shelby County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Shelby County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 E. Court Street, Sidney, Ohio 45365
- Phone: (937) 498-7226
- Shelby County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (937) 498-7265
- Marriage Records: 1824
- Probate Records: 1825
- Shelby County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: Shelby County Annex, Floor 2, 129 E. Court St., Sidney, OH 45365
- Phone: 937-498-7270 or 937-498-7271
- Land Records: 1819
- Shelby County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (937) 498-7230
- Court Records: 1819
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Shelby County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Shelby County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Shelby County genealogy or family history related sites.
Shelby Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Shelby Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Shelby Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Shelby Co. OH Census Records
Shelby Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Shelby Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Shelby Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Shelby Co. OH General and History Websites
Shelby Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Shelby Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Shelby Co. OH Military Records