Sandusky County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Sandusky County, Ohio Facts
When was Sandusky County, OH Created?
Sandusky County was created on April 1, 1820 from Huron County. This county was named for the Iroquois word meaning "cold water" .
What is the County Seat of Sandusky County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Fremont also, the county government website is www.sandusky-county.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Sandusky County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Ottawa County (north), Erie County (east), Huron County (southeast), Seneca County (south), Wood County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Sandusky County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bellevue, Clyde, Fremont, Burgoon, Gibsonburg, Green Springs, Helena, Lindsey, Woodville. Other communities include Include Vickery, Ballville, Stony Prairie.
What townships are in Sandusky County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Ballville, Green Creek, Jackson, Madison, Rice, Riley, Sandusky, Scott, Townsend, Washington, Woodville, York.
Sandusky County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Sandusky County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Sandusky County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Sandusky County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Sandusky County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Sandusky County, OH Census Records
What Sandusky County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Sandusky County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Sandusky Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sandusky Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sandusky Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Sandusky County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Sandusky County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Sandusky County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Sandusky County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Sandusky County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 N., Park, Fremont 43420-2454
- Phone: (419) 334-6212
- Sandusky County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (419) 334-6211
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Probate Records: 1820
- Sandusky County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (419) 334-6226
- Land Records: 1822
- Sandusky County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-334-6161
- Court Records: 1820
- Sandusky Co. Land Records
- Sandusky Co. Court Records
- Sandusky Co. Wills
- BLM Land Records
- Sandusky County USGenWeb Archives Project
Sandusky County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Sandusky County, OH?
A list of Sandusky County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Sandusky County Chapter, OGS, Spiegle Grove, Fremont, OH 43420-2796; Sandusky County Chapter, OGS meets at 2:00pm on the second Sunday of each month at the Sandusky Township Hall at 2207 Oak Harbor Rd., Fremont, OH. The Sandusky County Kin Hunters, a chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society, is devoted to preserving Sandusky County historical and genealogical records and provides training and assistance to anyone interested in recording family heritage.
- Sandusky County Historical Society, 514 Birchard Ave, Fremont, OH 43420-6906; Phone: (419) 332-0303; The Sandusky County Historical Society preserves Sandusky County heritage for future generations by collecting regional artifacts.
- Rutherford B Hayes Presidential Center, Spiegel Grove, Fremont, OH 43420-2796; Phone: (419) 332-2081; The Hayes Presidential Center, a site of the Ohio Historical Society, contains a museum and research library that focus on the President's life during the Civil War, the "Gilded Age" and beyond (1877-1917). The Hayes 31-room Victorian Mansion contains original furnishings, paintings, and photographs.
- Woodville Historical Society, 107 E Main St, Woodville, OH 43469-1208; Phone: (419) 849-2349; The Woodville Historical Society maintains the Woodville Museum that displays historical artifacts including household tools, glassware, musical instruments, and fossils. The Museum also makes available a photograph and newspaper archive to interested researchers.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Sandusky County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Sandusky County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Sandusky County.
Sandusky Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Sandusky Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Sandusky Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Sandusky Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Sandusky County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- Blog dedicated to the discussion of topics relating to the history of Sandusky & Erie County, Oh (sanduskyhistory.blogspot.com)
- Commemorative biographical record of the counties of Sandusky and Ottawa, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent (search.ancestry.com)
- Official program, Croghan Day, 1954 : Fremont, Ohio, August 2, 3, 4. (search.ancestry.com)
- Sandusky County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Sandusky County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Sandusky Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Sandusky County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Sandusky County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Sandusky (cyndislist.com)
- Sandusky Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Sandusky County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Sandusky Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Sandusky Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Sandusky Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Sandusky Co. OH Military Records
Sandusky Co., OH Schools & Directories