Ross County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Ross County, Ohio Facts
When was Ross County, OH Created?
Ross County was created on August 20, 1798 from Adams County, Hamilton County and Washington County. This county was named for the U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania James Ross by territorial governor Arthur St. Clair .
What is the County Seat of Ross County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Chillicothe also, the county government website is www.co.ross.oh.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Ross County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Pickaway County (north), Hocking County (northeast), Vinton County (east), Jackson County (southeast), Pike County (south), Highland County (southwest), Fayette County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Ross County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Chillicothe, Adelphi, Bainbridge, Clarksburg, Frankfort, Kingston, South Salem. Other communities include Bourneville, Denver, Hallsville, Knockemstiff, Londonderry, Richmond Dale, North Fork Village.
Ross County Townships Include Ross County Townships include Buckskin, Colerain, Concord, Deerfield, Franklin, Green, Harrison, Huntington, Jefferson, Liberty, Paint, Paxton, Scioto, Springfield, Twin, Union.
Ross County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Ross County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Ross County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ross County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Ross County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- Ross County, Ohio marriage records
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Ross County, OH Census Records
What Ross County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Ross County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ross Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ross Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ross Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Ross County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Ross County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Ross County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Ross County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Ross County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 N., Paint St., Chillicothe 45601
- Phone: (740) 774-1179
- Ross County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 774-1177 or (740) 774-1179
- Marriage Records: 1798
- Probate Records: 1797
- Ross County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-702-3000
- Land Records: 1797
- Ross County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-702-3010
- Court Records: 1798
- Ross Co. Land Records
- Ross Co. Court Records
- Ross Co. Wills
- BLM Land Records
- Ross County USGenWeb Archives Project
Ross County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Ross County, OH?
A list of Ross County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Ross County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 6352, Chillicothe, OH 45601-6352; Phone: (740) 773-2715; Ross County Chapter, OGS meets the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30pm at the RCGS Office/Library, 444 Douglas Ave., Chillicothe, OH. Annual dinner meeting is held in June. The Ross County Genealogical Society promotes genealogy and historical research. The library has records of Ross County, cemeteries, marriages, census microfilm, and numerous books on other states as well as genealogical information.
- Ross County Historical Society, 45 W 5th St, Chillicothe, OH 45601-3227; Phone: (740) 772-1936; The Ross County Historical Society operates the Ross County Museum, Knoles Log Home, Franklin House Women's Museum, and the McKell Library. Exhibits interpret Ross County's history from prehistoric Indian cultures through the recent past.
- Adena State Memorial-OHS, PO Box 831, Chillicothe, OH 45601-0831; Phone: (800) 319-7248; Adena State Memorial, a site of the Ohio Historical Society, is the restored home of Thomas Worthington, the 6th governor of Ohio and the first U.S. Senator from Ohio. The house was completed in 1807 and is furnished with antiques of that period. In addition to the mansion house, there are 5 outbuildings, a garden and a visitor center.
- Bainbridge Historical Society, PO Box 424, Bainbridge, OH 45612-0424;
- Frankfort Area Historical Society, Inc., PO Box 117, Frankfort, OH 45628-0117
- Scioto Society Inc, PO Box 73, Chillicothe, OH 45601-0073; Phone: (740) 775-4100; The Scioto Society produces the Midwest's most popular outdoor drama, depicting the life of the legendary leader Tecumseh.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Ross County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Ross County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ross County.
Ross Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ross Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Ross Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ross Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Ross County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- A Standard history of Ross County, Ohio : an authentic narrative of the past, with particular attention to the modern era in th (search.ancestry.com)
- The county of Ross : a history of Ross County, Ohio, from the earliest days, with special chapters on the bench and bar, medica (search.ancestry.com)
- The great fire : Chillicothe, Ohio, 1852 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chillicothe reminiscences, 1811 (search.ancestry.com)
- Ross County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Ross County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Ross Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Ross County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Ross County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Ross (cyndislist.com)
- Ross Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Ross County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Ross Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Ross Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Ross Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ross Co. OH Military Records