Paulding County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Paulding County, Ohio genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Paulding Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Paulding County was created on April 1, 1820 from Shelby County, Darke County, Williams County and Wood County. This county was named for the John Paulding (1758–1818), captor of spy John André during the Revolutionary War .
The Paulding County Seat is located in Paulding also, the county government website is www.pauldingcountyoh.com .
Areas bordering to Paulding County are Defiance County (north), Putnam County (east), Van Wert County (south), Allen County, Indiana (west) .
Cities and towns located in Paulding County include Antwerp, Broughton, Cecil, Grover Hill, Haviland, Latty, Melrose, Oakwood, Paulding, Payne, Scott. Other communities include Junction, Mandale.
Paulding County Townships include Auglaize, Benton, Blue Creek, Brown, Carryall, Crane, Emerald, Harrison, Jackson, Latty, Paulding, Washington.
Paulding County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Paulding Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Paulding Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Paulding Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Paulding County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Paulding County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Paulding County Chapter, OGS, 205 E. Main St., Paulding, OH 45879-1492; Phone: (419) 399-2032; Paulding County Chapter, OGS meets at the Paulding County Library, 205 E. Main St., Paulding, OH on the second Wednesday of each month January through June and September through November at 6:30pm, unless another location is specified. This OGS Chapter is active in preserving and collecting local history, county records, and family genealogies. It has published numerous research books and has plans for more. The Chapter also maintains a "First Families of Paulding County" record for people who have ancestors in Paulding County dating back to 1880.
- Antwerp Preservation Society, PO Box 987, Antwerp, OH 45813-0987; Phone: (419) 258-5511; The Antwerp Historical Society seeks to revitalize downtown Antwerp and to teach and promote the heritage of the area.
- John Paulding Historical Society Inc, PO Box 93, Paulding, OH 45879-0093; Phone: (419) 399-8218; The John Paulding Historical Society seeks to depict the Paulding County agricultural community as it was at the turn of the century and other events through World War II.
- Otto E Ehrhart-Paulding County Historical Society, 14745 St Rt 49, Antwerp, OH 45813-9348; Phone: (419) 258-2665; The Ehrhart-Paulding County Historical Society maintains the Otto E. Ehrhart Museum, which houses Ehrhart's world-renowned wildlife collection. Currently the Society is restoring Antwerp's railroad depot.
- Paulding County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Paulding County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Paulding County
- Paulding County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Paulding County
Paulding County Courthouse and Government Records
Paulding County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Paulding County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Paulding County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Paulding County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Paulding County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 115 N. Williams St., Paulding 45879-0000
- Phone: (419) 399-8205
- Paulding County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (419) 399-8256
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Probate Records: 1842
- Paulding County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-399-8276
- Land Records: 1835
- Paulding County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 399-2051
- Court Records: 1839
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Paulding County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Paulding County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Paulding County genealogy or family history related sites.
Paulding Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Paulding Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Paulding Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Paulding Co. OH Census Records
Paulding Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Paulding Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Paulding Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Paulding Co. OH General and History Websites
Paulding Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Paulding Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Paulding Co. OH Military Records