Paulding County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Paulding County, Ohio Facts
When was Paulding County, OH Created?
Paulding County was created on April 1, 1820 from Shelby County, Darke County, Williams County and Wood County. This county was named for the John Paulding (1758–1818), captor of spy John André during the Revolutionary War .
What is the County Seat of Paulding County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Paulding also, the county government website is www.pauldingcountyoh.com .
What counties are adjacent to Paulding County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Defiance County (north), Putnam County (east), Van Wert County (south), Allen County, Indiana (west) .
What cities and towns are in Paulding County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Antwerp, Broughton, Cecil, Grover Hill, Haviland, Latty, Melrose, Oakwood, Paulding, Payne, Scott. Other communities include Junction, Mandale.
What townships are in Paulding County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Auglaize, Benton, Blue Creek, Brown, Carryall, Crane, Emerald, Harrison, Jackson, Latty, Paulding, Washington.
Paulding County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Paulding County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Paulding County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Paulding County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Paulding County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Paulding County, OH Census Records
What Paulding County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Paulding County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Paulding Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Paulding Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Paulding Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Paulding County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Paulding County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Paulding County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Paulding County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Paulding County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 115 N. Williams St., Paulding 45879-0000
- Phone: (419) 399-8205
- Paulding County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (419) 399-8256
- Marriage Records: 1839
- Probate Records: 1842
- Paulding County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-399-8276
- Land Records: 1835
- Paulding County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 399-2051
- Court Records: 1839
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Paulding County USGenWeb Archives Project
Paulding County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Paulding County, OH?
A list of Paulding County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Paulding County Chapter, OGS, 205 E. Main St., Paulding, OH 45879-1492; Phone: (419) 399-2032; Paulding County Chapter, OGS meets at the Paulding County Library, 205 E. Main St., Paulding, OH on the second Wednesday of each month January through June and September through November at 6:30pm, unless another location is specified. This OGS Chapter is active in preserving and collecting local history, county records, and family genealogies. It has published numerous research books and has plans for more. The Chapter also maintains a "First Families of Paulding County" record for people who have ancestors in Paulding County dating back to 1880.
- Antwerp Preservation Society, PO Box 987, Antwerp, OH 45813-0987; Phone: (419) 258-5511; The Antwerp Historical Society seeks to revitalize downtown Antwerp and to teach and promote the heritage of the area.
- John Paulding Historical Society Inc, PO Box 93, Paulding, OH 45879-0093; Phone: (419) 399-8218; The John Paulding Historical Society seeks to depict the Paulding County agricultural community as it was at the turn of the century and other events through World War II.
- Otto E Ehrhart-Paulding County Historical Society, 14745 St Rt 49, Antwerp, OH 45813-9348; Phone: (419) 258-2665; The Ehrhart-Paulding County Historical Society maintains the Otto E. Ehrhart Museum, which houses Ehrhart's world-renowned wildlife collection. Currently the Society is restoring Antwerp's railroad depot.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Paulding County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Paulding County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Paulding County.
Paulding Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Paulding Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Paulding Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Paulding Co. OH General and History Websites
Paulding Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Paulding Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Paulding Co. OH Military Records