Morrow County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Morrow County was created on March 1, 1848 from Delaware County, Knox County, Marion County and Richland County. This county was named for Jeremiah Morrow (1771–1852), Governor of Ohio .
The Morrow County Seat is located in Mount Gilead also, the county government website is www.morrowcounty.info .
Areas bordering to Morrow County are Crawford County (north), Richland County (northeast), Knox County (southeast), Delaware County (southwest), Marion County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Morrow County include Cardington, Chesterville, Edison, Fulton, Marengo, Mount Gilead, Sparta. Other communities include Blooming Grove, Iberia, Shauck.
Morrow County Townships include Bennington, Canaan, Cardington, Chester, Congress, Franklin, Gilead, Harmony, Lincoln, North Bloomfield, Perry, Peru, South Bloomfield, Troy, Washington, Westfield.
Morrow County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Morrow County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Morrow County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morrow Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morrow Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morrow Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Morrow County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Morrow County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morrow County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 401, Mt. Gilead, OH 43338-0401; Phone: (740) 397-0401; Morrow County Chapter, OGS meets the fourth Saturday of each month at 2:00pm at the Mt. Gilead Library meeting room. This OGS Chapter maintains genealogical material relating to Morrow County in the Mt. Gilead Public Library.
- Morrow County Historical Society, PO Box 21, Mount Gilead, OH 43338-0021; Phone: (419) 946-7264; The Morrow County Historical Society is located in the old Pleasant Grove Church. It has relocated and restored a log house that is now at the Morrow County Fairgrounds. It is restoring the oldest frame house in Mt. Gilead. The log house is open when there are activities at the Fairgrounds.
- Mt Gilead Public Library, Genealogy Collection, 35 E High St, Mt Gilead, OH 43338; 419-947-5866
- Morrow County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Morrow County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morrow County
- Morrow County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Morrow County
Morrow County Courthouse and Government Records
Morrow County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Morrow County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Morrow County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Morrow County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Morrow County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 48 E. High St., Mount Gilead 43338-1458
- Phone: (419) 947-5575
- Morrow County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (419) 947-5575
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Probate Records: 1848
- Morrow County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-947-3060
- Land Records: 1848
- Morrow County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 947-4515
- Court Records: 1848
- The Morrow County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Morrow County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morrow County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Morrow County genealogy or family history related sites.
Morrow Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morrow Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Morrow Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Morrow Co. OH Census Records
Morrow Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Morrow Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Morrow Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Morrow Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Morrow County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- History of Morrow County, Ohio (heritagepursuit.com) Containing a brief History of the State of Ohio, from its earliest settlement to the present time, embracing its topography, geological, physical and climatic features; its agricultural, stock-growing, railroad interests, etc. - a History of Morrow County, giving an account of its aboriginal inhabitants, early settlement by the whites, pioneer incidents, its growth, its improvements, organization of the county, its judicial and political history, its business and industries, churches, schools, etc. ; Biographical Sketches; Portraits of some of the Early Settlers and Prominent Men, etc., etc.
- History of Morrow County and Ohio : containing a brief history of the state of Ohio from its earliest settlement to the present (search.ancestry.com)
- The Descent and Descendants of John L. Shaw (1809-1890) of Morrow County, Ohio (search.ancestry.com)
- Morrow County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Morrow County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Morrow Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Morrow County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Morrow County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Morrow (cyndislist.com)
- Morrow Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Morrow County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Morrow Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Morrow Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Morrow Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morrow Co. OH Military Records