Meigs County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Meigs County, Ohio Facts
When was Meigs County, OH Created?
Meigs County was created on April 1, 1819 from Athens County and Gallia County. This county was named for Return Jonathan Meigs, Jr. (1764-1825), Governor of Ohio and Postmaster General at the time the county was organized .
What is the County Seat of Meigs County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Pomeroy also, the county government website is www.meigscountyohio.com/ .
What counties are adjacent to Meigs County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Athens County (north), Wood County, West Virginia (northeast), Jackson County, West Virginia (east), Mason County, West Virginia (southeast), Gallia County (southwest), Vinton County (west) .
What cities and towns are in Meigs County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Middleport, Pomeroy, Racine, Rutland, Syracuse. Other communities include Chester, Darwin, Langsville, Long Bottom, Portland, Reedsville, Tuppers Plains.
What townships are in Meigs County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Bedford, Chester, Columbia, Lebanon, Letart, Olive, Orange, Rutland, Salem, Salisbury, Scipio, Sutton.
Meigs County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Meigs County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Meigs County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Meigs County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Meigs County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Meigs County, OH Census Records
What Meigs County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Meigs County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Meigs Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Meigs Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Meigs Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Meigs County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Meigs County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Meigs County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Meigs County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Meigs County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 East Second Street, Pomeroy 45769-0000
- Phone: (740) 992-2895
- Meigs County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740-992-3096
- Marriage Records: 1819
- Probate Records: 1820
- Meigs County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-992-3806
- Land Records: 1819
- Meigs County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-992-5290/6590
- Court Records: 1819
- Meigs Co. Land Records
- Meigs Co. Court Records
- Meigs Co. Wills
- BLM Land Records
- Meigs County USGenWeb Archives Project
Meigs County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Meigs County, OH?
A list of Meigs County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Meigs County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 346, Pomeroy, OH 45769-0345; Phone: (740) 992-3810; Meigs County Chapter, OGS meets on the second Tuesday of the month, September through May, except for December at the Meigs County Museum, Butternut in Pomeroy, OH. The Meigs County Genealogical Society offers genealogical records available for research at the Meigs County Museum.
- Chester-Shade Historical Association, 34425 Dairy Ln, Pomeroy, OH 45769-9775, Phone: (740) 992-7261; Chester-Shade Historical Association preserves the history and artifacts for future generations and provides educational programs, develops community pride, and attracts tourists to help boost the local economy.
- Meigs County Pioneer & Historical Society, PO Box 145, Pomeroy, OH 45769-0145; Phone: (740) 992-3810; The Meigs County Pioneer and Historical Society operates the Meigs County Museum. The Museum displays historical artifacts depicting the county's history and operates a historical and genealogical research library. Included in the Society's holdings is a large collection of Ohio riverboat photographs.
- Sons of Union Veterans-Ohio Department, 34465 Crew Rd, Pomeroy, OH 45769-9715; Phone: (614) 268-4525; The Sons of Union Veterans is an educational and preservation organization for material on the Union forces of the Civil War. Its focus is to assist those wanting information on Union ancestry.
- Pomeroy Public Library, 216 W Main St, Pomeroy, OH 45769-1032; 740-992-5813, Fax: 740-992-6140
- Meigs County Museum, 144 Butternut Ave, Pomeroy, OH 45769; 740-992-3810
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Meigs County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Meigs County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Meigs County.
Meigs Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Meigs Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Meigs Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Meigs Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Meigs County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- The History of Miami County, Ohio : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., general and local statistics, (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the Miami Baptist Association : from its organization in 1797 to a division in that body on missions, etc. in the ye (search.ancestry.com)
- Meigs County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Meigs County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Meigs Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Meigs County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Meigs County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Meigs (cyndislist.com)
- Meigs Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Meigs County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Meigs Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Meigs Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Meigs Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Meigs Co. OH Military Records