Meigs County, Ohio
Meigs County was created on April 1, 1819 from Athens County and Gallia County. This county was named for Return Jonathan Meigs, Jr. (1764-1825), Governor of Ohio and Postmaster General at the time the county was organized .
The Meigs County Seat is located in Pomeroy also, the county government website is www.meigscountyohio.com/ .
Areas bordering to Meigs County are Athens County (north), Wood County, West Virginia (northeast), Jackson County, West Virginia (east), Mason County, West Virginia (southeast), Gallia County (southwest), Vinton County (west) .
Cities and towns located in Meigs County include Middleport, Pomeroy, Racine, Rutland, Syracuse. Other communities include Chester, Darwin, Langsville, Long Bottom, Portland, Reedsville, Tuppers Plains.
Meigs County Townships include Bedford, Chester, Columbia, Lebanon, Letart, Olive, Orange, Rutland, Salem, Salisbury, Scipio, Sutton.
Meigs County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Meigs County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Meigs County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Meigs Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Meigs Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Meigs Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Meigs County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Meigs County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Meigs County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 346, Pomeroy, OH 45769-0345; Phone: (740) 992-3810; Meigs County Chapter, OGS meets on the second Tuesday of the month, September through May, except for December at the Meigs County Museum, Butternut in Pomeroy, OH. The Meigs County Genealogical Society offers genealogical records available for research at the Meigs County Museum.
- Chester-Shade Historical Association, 34425 Dairy Ln, Pomeroy, OH 45769-9775, Phone: (740) 992-7261; Chester-Shade Historical Association preserves the history and artifacts for future generations and provides educational programs, develops community pride, and attracts tourists to help boost the local economy.
- Meigs County Pioneer & Historical Society, PO Box 145, Pomeroy, OH 45769-0145; Phone: (740) 992-3810; The Meigs County Pioneer and Historical Society operates the Meigs County Museum. The Museum displays historical artifacts depicting the county's history and operates a historical and genealogical research library. Included in the Society's holdings is a large collection of Ohio riverboat photographs.
- Sons of Union Veterans-Ohio Department, 34465 Crew Rd, Pomeroy, OH 45769-9715; Phone: (614) 268-4525; The Sons of Union Veterans is an educational and preservation organization for material on the Union forces of the Civil War. Its focus is to assist those wanting information on Union ancestry.
- Pomeroy Public Library, 216 W Main St, Pomeroy, OH 45769-1032; 740-992-5813, Fax: 740-992-6140
- Meigs County Museum, 144 Butternut Ave, Pomeroy, OH 45769; 740-992-3810
- Meigs County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Meigs County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Meigs County
- Meigs County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Meigs County
Meigs County Courthouse and Government Records
Meigs County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Meigs County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Meigs County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Meigs County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Meigs County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 East Second Street, Pomeroy 45769-0000
- Phone: (740) 992-2895
- Meigs County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740-992-3096
- Marriage Records: 1819
- Probate Records: 1820
- Meigs County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-992-3806
- Land Records: 1819
- Meigs County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-992-5290/6590
- Court Records: 1819
- The Meigs County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Meigs County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Meigs County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Meigs County genealogy or family history related sites.
Meigs Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Meigs Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Meigs Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Meigs Co. OH Census Records
Meigs Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Meigs Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Meigs Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Meigs Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Meigs County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- The History of Miami County, Ohio : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., general and local statistics, (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the Miami Baptist Association : from its organization in 1797 to a division in that body on missions, etc. in the ye (search.ancestry.com)
- Meigs County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Meigs County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Meigs Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Meigs County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Meigs County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Meigs (cyndislist.com)
- Meigs Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Meigs County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Meigs Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Meigs Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Meigs Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Meigs Co. OH Military Records