Medina County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Medina County, Ohio Facts
When was Medina County, OH Created?
Medina County was created on February 18, 1812 from Portage County (Organized in 1818). This county was named for Medina, world-renowned religious site and capital of the Al Madinah Province in western Saudi Arabia.
What is the County Seat of Medina County, OH?
The County Seat is located in Medina also, the county government website is www.co.medina.oh.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Medina County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Cuyahoga County (northeast), Summit County (east), Wayne County (south), Ashland County (southwest), Lorain County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Medina County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include Brunswick, Medina, Rittman, Wadsworth, Chippewa Lake, Creston, Gloria Glens Park, Lodi, Seville, Spencer, Westfield Center. Other communities include Homerville, Litchfield, Valley City.
What townships are in Medina County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Brunswick Hills, Chatham, Granger, Guilford, Harrisville, Hinckley, Homer, Lafayette, Litchfield, Liverpool, Medina, Montville, Sharon, Spencer, Wadsworth, Westfield, York.
Medina County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Medina County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Medina County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Medina County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Medina County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Medina County, OH Census Records
What Medina County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Medina County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Medina Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Medina Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Medina Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Medina County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Medina County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Medina County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Medina County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Medina County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 93 Public Square, Medina 44256-2205
- Phone: (330) 723-3641
- Medina County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 330-725-9703
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1818
- Medina County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 330-725-9782
- Land Records: 1818
- Medina County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 330-725-9722
- Court Records: 1818
- Medina Co. Land Records
- Medina Co. Court Records
- Medina Co. Wills
- BLM Land Records
- Medina County USGenWeb Archives Project
Medina County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Medina County, OH?
A list of Medina County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Medina County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 804, Medina, OH 44258-0804; Phone: (330) 725-4257; Medina County Chapter, OGS meets on the second Sunday of each month at 1:30pm at the Medina County District Library Annex, 210 South Broadway, Medina.(Exception are research field trips, a July family picnic, a September FFMC Awards Banquet and a December Membership Dinner.) Please note: Due to planned construction of an addition to the MCDL in 2005, we are only assured meeting facilities through June 2005. This OGS Chapter seeks to promote interest in Medina County genealogy.
- Medina County Historical Society, PO Box 306, Medina, OH 44258-0306; Phone: (330) 722-134; The Medina County Historical Society maintains the John Smart House; a fourteen-room Victorian house of the Queen Anne style located one block from Medina's Historic Square. The Museum's furnishings include representative samples of Rococo Revival among others. Other exhibits reflect pioneer and Indian days, the Civil War era, and the old Chippewa Lake Park.
- Brunswick Area Historical Society, PO Box 714, Brunswick, OH 44212-0714; Phone: (330) 220-8352; The Brunswick Area Historical Society is a typical mid 1800's small Ohio family farm with all the farm buildings intact. Undergoing restoration.
- Chatham Historical Society, 5394 Richman Rd, Litchfield, OH 44253-9706; Phone: (330) 667-2672; The Chatham Historical Society is dedicated to studying, preserving, and giving access to the history of Chatham Townships and its residents.
- Granger Historical Society, 1261 Ganger Rd, Medina, OH 44256-7337; Phone: (330) 239-2380; The Granger Library and Historical Society maintains the Thompson-Work Museum. The museum features the furnishing of the Thompson-Work family and a doll collection. The Aldrich B. Underwood Library houses historical reference collections, genealogy, township memorabilia and Native American artifact exhibits.
- Hinckley Historical Society Inc, PO Box 471, Hinckley, OH 44233-0471; Phone: (330) 278-3159; The Hinckley Historical Society maintains the Worden Heritage Homestead, a 1860s homestead which houses historical keepsakes of the Hiram Worden family and Hinckley Township history. Located behind the house are ten large sandstone carvings.
- Litchfield Historical Society, 4700 Avon Lake Rd, Litchfield, OH 44253-9527; Phone: (330) 722-7154; The Litchfield Historical Society assists in community projects in the Litchfield area. The 1846 circa house has undergone major restoration over the past two years and was opened to the public on 7-7-2002.
- Liverpool Township Historical Society, 7060 Center Rd, Valley City, OH 44280-9590; Phone: (330) 483-3994; The Liverpool Township Historical Society operates the Liverpool Township Depot, which the Society moved from its original site and restored. The Depot serves as a community meeting room and museum. Exhibits include a restored caboose and locomotive engine.
- Lodi Harrisville Historical Society Inc, Box 172, Lodi, OH 44254-0172; Phone: (330) 948-2748; The Lodi Historical Society's holdings include postcards, arrowheads, newspapers and history books, historic tools, appliances, clothing, and many more items.
- Seville Historical Society, PO Box 312, Seville, OH 44273-0312; Phone: (330) 769-3471; The Seville Historical Society has moved an old one-room jail to its site. It is listed on the National Register. They are also interested in preserving the heritage of Seville and Guilford Township and the museum has artifacts of early Seville settlers including Captain and Anna Bates.
- Sharon Township Heritage Society, PO Box 154, Sharon Center, OH 44274-0154; Phone: (330) 336-3832; The Sharon Township Heritage Society has preserved two nineteenth century houses, a log home and bell tower and has completed a war memorial.
- Wadsworth Area Historical Society, PO Box 326, Wadsworth, OH 44281-0326; Phone: (330) 336-2437; The Wadsworth Area Historical Society is working on oral histories with tapes and videos throughout the area. The tapes are in the library and will be used to write books in the future. They are presently renovating the Traver-Johnson house for a grand opening of the Wadsworth Heritage Museum in 2003.
- Westfield Historical Society, PO Box 71, Westfield Center, OH 44251-0071; Phone: (330) 887-5525; The Westfield Historical Society has artifacts located in the upstairs of the Town Hall. It has wooden replicas of the village.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Medina County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Medina County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Medina County.
Medina Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Medina Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Medina Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Medina Co. OH General and History Websites
Medina Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Medina Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Medina Co. OH Military Records