Medina County, Ohio
Medina County was created on February 18, 1812 from Portage County (Organized in 1818). This county was named for Medina, world-renowned religious site and capital of the Al Madinah Province in western Saudi Arabia.
The Medina County Seat is located in Medina also, the county government website is www.co.medina.oh.us/ .
Areas bordering to Medina County are Cuyahoga County (northeast), Summit County (east), Wayne County (south), Ashland County (southwest), Lorain County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Medina County include Brunswick, Medina, Rittman, Wadsworth, Chippewa Lake, Creston, Gloria Glens Park, Lodi, Seville, Spencer, Westfield Center. Other communities include Homerville, Litchfield, Valley City.
Medina County Townships include Brunswick Hills, Chatham, Granger, Guilford, Harrisville, Hinckley, Homer, Lafayette, Litchfield, Liverpool, Medina, Montville, Sharon, Spencer, Wadsworth, Westfield, York.
Medina County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Medina County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Medina County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Medina Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Medina Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Medina Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Medina County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Medina County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio (raogk.org)
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Medina County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 804, Medina, OH 44258-0804; Phone: (330) 725-4257; Medina County Chapter, OGS meets on the second Sunday of each month at 1:30pm at the Medina County District Library Annex, 210 South Broadway, Medina.(Exception are research field trips, a July family picnic, a September FFMC Awards Banquet and a December Membership Dinner.) Please note: Due to planned construction of an addition to the MCDL in 2005, we are only assured meeting facilities through June 2005. This OGS Chapter seeks to promote interest in Medina County genealogy.
- Medina County Historical Society, PO Box 306, Medina, OH 44258-0306; Phone: (330) 722-134; The Medina County Historical Society maintains the John Smart House; a fourteen-room Victorian house of the Queen Anne style located one block from Medina's Historic Square. The Museum's furnishings include representative samples of Rococo Revival among others. Other exhibits reflect pioneer and Indian days, the Civil War era, and the old Chippewa Lake Park.
- Brunswick Area Historical Society, PO Box 714, Brunswick, OH 44212-0714; Phone: (330) 220-8352; The Brunswick Area Historical Society is a typical mid 1800's small Ohio family farm with all the farm buildings intact. Undergoing restoration.
- Chatham Historical Society, 5394 Richman Rd, Litchfield, OH 44253-9706; Phone: (330) 667-2672; The Chatham Historical Society is dedicated to studying, preserving, and giving access to the history of Chatham Townships and its residents.
- Granger Historical Society, 1261 Ganger Rd, Medina, OH 44256-7337; Phone: (330) 239-2380; The Granger Library and Historical Society maintains the Thompson-Work Museum. The museum features the furnishing of the Thompson-Work family and a doll collection. The Aldrich B. Underwood Library houses historical reference collections, genealogy, township memorabilia and Native American artifact exhibits.
- Hinckley Historical Society Inc, PO Box 471, Hinckley, OH 44233-0471; Phone: (330) 278-3159; The Hinckley Historical Society maintains the Worden Heritage Homestead, a 1860s homestead which houses historical keepsakes of the Hiram Worden family and Hinckley Township history. Located behind the house are ten large sandstone carvings.
- Litchfield Historical Society, 4700 Avon Lake Rd, Litchfield, OH 44253-9527; Phone: (330) 722-7154; The Litchfield Historical Society assists in community projects in the Litchfield area. The 1846 circa house has undergone major restoration over the past two years and was opened to the public on 7-7-2002.
- Liverpool Township Historical Society, 7060 Center Rd, Valley City, OH 44280-9590; Phone: (330) 483-3994; The Liverpool Township Historical Society operates the Liverpool Township Depot, which the Society moved from its original site and restored. The Depot serves as a community meeting room and museum. Exhibits include a restored caboose and locomotive engine.
- Lodi Harrisville Historical Society Inc, Box 172, Lodi, OH 44254-0172; Phone: (330) 948-2748; The Lodi Historical Society's holdings include postcards, arrowheads, newspapers and history books, historic tools, appliances, clothing, and many more items.
- Seville Historical Society, PO Box 312, Seville, OH 44273-0312; Phone: (330) 769-3471; The Seville Historical Society has moved an old one-room jail to its site. It is listed on the National Register. They are also interested in preserving the heritage of Seville and Guilford Township and the museum has artifacts of early Seville settlers including Captain and Anna Bates.
- Sharon Township Heritage Society, PO Box 154, Sharon Center, OH 44274-0154; Phone: (330) 336-3832; The Sharon Township Heritage Society has preserved two nineteenth century houses, a log home and bell tower and has completed a war memorial.
- Wadsworth Area Historical Society, PO Box 326, Wadsworth, OH 44281-0326; Phone: (330) 336-2437; The Wadsworth Area Historical Society is working on oral histories with tapes and videos throughout the area. The tapes are in the library and will be used to write books in the future. They are presently renovating the Traver-Johnson house for a grand opening of the Wadsworth Heritage Museum in 2003.
- Westfield Historical Society, PO Box 71, Westfield Center, OH 44251-0071; Phone: (330) 887-5525; The Westfield Historical Society has artifacts located in the upstairs of the Town Hall. It has wooden replicas of the village.
- Medina County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Medina County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Medina County
- Medina County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Medina County
Medina County Courthouse and Government Records
Medina County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Medina County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Medina County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Medina County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
Medina County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Medina County.
Medina Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Medina Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Medina Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Medina Co. OH Census Records
Medina Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Medina Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Medina Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Medina Co. OH General and History Websites
Medina Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Medina Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Medina Co. OH Military Records