Mahoning County, Ohio
Genealogy and Facts
Mahoning County was created on March 1, 1846 from Columbiana County and Trumbull County. This county was named for the Mahoning River, from a Native American word meaning "at the licks" .
The Mahoning County Seat is located in Youngstown also, the county government website is www.mahoningcountyoh.gov/ .
Areas bordering to Mahoning County are Trumbull County (north), Mercer County, Pennsylvaina (northeast), Lawrence County, Pennsylvaina (east), Columbiana County (south), Stark County (
southwest), Portage County (northwest) .
Cities and towns located in Mahoning County include Alliance, Campbell, Canfield, Columbiana, Struthers, Youngstown, Beloit, Craig Beach, Lowellville, New Middletown, Poland, Sebring, Washingtonville. Other communities include Damascus, Ellsworth, Greenford, Lake Milton, New Springfield, North Benton, North Jackson, North Lima, Petersburg.
Mahoning County Townships include Austintown, Beaver, Berlin, Boardman, Canfield, Coitsville, Ellsworth, Goshen, Green, Jackson, Milton, Poland, Smith, Springfield.
Mahoning County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Mahoning County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Mahoning County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mahoning Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mahoning Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Mahoning Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Mahoning County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Mahoning County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mahoning County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 9333, Youngstown, OH 44513-9333; Mahoning County Chapter, OGS meets the third Monday of each month at 7:30pm except July, August, and December at the St. Charles Ministry Building, 7325 Westview Dr., Boardman, OH. This OGS Chapter meets the third Monday of each month (except July, August and December) at the Four Mile Run Christian Church in Austintown.
- Austintown Historical Society, PO Box 4063, Austintown, OH 44515-0063; Phone: (330) 792-1129; The Austintown Historical Society maintains the Austin Log Cabin, circa 1814, a good example of the Cathedral Style Notch construction, and the Strock Stone House, circa 1830, built of stone from a local quarry. Private tours are available.
- Berlin Center Historical Society, PO Box 112, Berlin Center, OH 44401-0112; Phone: (330) 584-2791; The Berlin Center Historical Society collects historic photographs, tools, books, class rings, yearbooks, and high school pictures.
- Boardman Historical Society, PO Box 3134, Youngstown, OH 44513-3134; Phone: (330) 758-4702; The Boardman Historical Society operates the 1860 Oswald Detchon House within the Boardman Historical Village. The Society promotes interest in the greater Boardman Township by collecting and preserving artifacts of the area.
- Campbell Historical Society , 211 Struthers Liberty Rd, Campbell, OH 44405-1935; Phone: (330) 755-4496; The Campbell Historical Society collects items pertaining to the historical significance of Campbell and tries to save buildings of historical worth.
- Canfield Historical Society , PO Box 3, Canfield, OH 44406-0003; Phone: (330) 533-3458; The Canal Winchester Area Historical Society renovated the Bond House and operates it as their museum. Their collection includes the property and contents of the Mahoning Dispatch Museum, willed to the Society in 1991.
- Damascus Area Historical Society of Ohio, PO Box 144, Damascus, OH 44619-0144; Phone: (330) 337-8850; The Damascus Area Historical Society maintains several sites including a brick two-room schoolhouse listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and an authentic circa 1856 Quaker Meeting House and Schoolhouse. The Society operates the Pearce House as a museum displaying local artifacts.
- Ellsworth Historical Society, PO Box 106, Ellsworth, OH 44416-0106; Phone: (330) 533-6636; The Ellsworth Historical Society is a small organization dedicated to preserving the history of their township. They are planning oral history interviews and bus trips. They currently meet in the old township hall that was built circa 1870.
- Mahoning Valley Historical Society, Arms Family Museum of Loc His, 648 Wick Ave, Youngstown, OH 44502-1215; Phone: (330) 743-2589; The Mahoning Valley Historical Society maintains the Arms Family Museum of Local History. The Museum exhibits Arms family artifacts in period-furnished rooms. In other galleries the Society exhibits show Mahoning Valley history from its earliest settlement to the 20th century through photographs, costumes, artifacts, historical vignettes, and audio-visual presentations.
- Poland Township Historical Society, PO Box 5052, Poland, OH 44514-0052; Phone: (330) 757-2613; The Little Red Schoolhouse is open to schools, organizations, and churches for classes and meetings. In October they combine efforts with a farm in Poland to bring students in for an October Fest with a hayride and they bring them to the school to learn history about Poland. At Christmas they have a tour of homes and in the spring they have a flower sale.
- Sebring Ohio Historical Society , PO Box 127, Sebring, OH 44672-0127; Phone: (330) 938-6378; The Sebring (Ohio) Historical Society collects pottery and other artifacts of Sebring's past and is restoring a theater to use as a museum.
- Springfield Township Historical Society, 4653 Middletown Rd, New Middletown, OH 44442-9400; Phone: (330) 542-3068; The Springfield Township Historical Society meets the second Tuesday of each month.
- Struthers Historical Society, 50 Terrace St, Struthers, OH 44471-1936; Phone: (330) 750-1766; The Struthers Historical Society maintains its museum in an 1884 restored home. The Museum displays artifacts from the Hopewell Furnace and a shift change whistle from the Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company. The Society's holdings include the Thomas Struthers genealogy records, many school annuals, vintage photographs, and bound Journal newspapers from 1928-1980.
- The William Holmes McGuffey Historical Society, P O Box 9561, Youngstown, OH 44513-9561; Phone: (330) 726-8277; The McGuffy Historical Society maintains the 72-acre William McGuffy farm. The Mill Creek Park has taken over the farm and is making a nature preserve.
- Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County, 305 Wick Avenue, , Youngstown OH 44503-1003; (330) 744-8636, fax: (330) 744-2258 (Office), fax: (330) 744-3355 (Library)
- Mahoning County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Mahoning County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Mahoning County
- Mahoning County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Mahoning County
Mahoning County Courthouse and Government Records
Mahoning County Courthouse
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Mahoning County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Mahoning County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Mahoning County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Records at the Mahoning County Courthouse:
- At the Probate Office
- A book titled "Births, Deaths and Marriages" located in the marriage department in which these events were recorded for one year: 1 April 1856 through 31 March 1857.
- Marriage records since the county's beginning in 1846.
- Birth & death records from 1 April 1864 until 20 Dec 1908
- Guardianship records
- Wills and Estates since 1846 are on microfilm and microfiche. Original Probate Records from 1846 through ca 1900 are at the Mahoning Valley Historical Society Archival Library At the
- Recorder's Office: Soldier's discharges dated from the Civil War, Deeds are copied from microfilm at $1.00 per page, Land Records, Grave Registrations
- Records at the Department of Health at City Hall, in Youngstown: Birth & death records after 20 Dec 1908 until the present , Youngstown city deaths from 1892 to 20 Dec 1908
- The city of Campbell Board of Health started in 1932
- The city of Struthers Board of Health started in 1909
- Marriage Records for Mahoning County:
- Type of Record: M/DAR , Dates: 1846 - 1865 , Roll/Call Number: GR 1399
- Type of Record: CD-Rom , Dates: 1846 - 1848
- Mahoning County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 120 Market St., Youngstown 44503-1710
- Phone: (330) 740-2130
- Mahoning County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 330-740-2310
- Marriage Records: 1846
- Probate Records: 1846
- Mahoning County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 330-740-2345
- Land Records: 1795
- Mahoning County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 330-740-2158
- Court Records: 1847
- The Mahoning County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Mahoning County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mahoning County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Mahoning County genealogy or family history related sites.
Mahoning Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mahoning Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mahoning Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mahoning Co. OH Census Records
Mahoning Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mahoning Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Mahoning Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mahoning Co. OH General and History Websites
Mahoning Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Mahoning Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mahoning Co. OH Military Records
AlpineMahoning Co. OH Schools & Directories