Madison County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Madison County, Ohio Facts
When was Madison County, OH Created?
Madison County was created on March 1, 1810 from Franklin County. This county was named for James Madison (1751-1836), fourth U.S. President .
What is the County Seat of Madison County, OH?
The County Seat is located in London also, the county government website is www.co.madison.oh.us/ .
What counties are adjacent to Madison County, OH?
Bordering Counties are Union County (north), Franklin County (east), Pickaway County (southeast), Fayette County (south), Greene County (southwest), Clark County (west), Champaign County (northwest) .
What cities and towns are in Madison County, OH?
Cities and towns located in the County include London, Midway, Mount Sterling, Plain City, South Solon, West Jefferson. Other communities include Rosedale, Sedalia.
What townships are in Madison County, OH?
Townships located in the County include Canaan, Darby, Deer Creek, Fairfield, Jefferson, Monroe, Oak Run, Paint, Pike, Pleasant, Range, Somerford, Stokes, Union.
Madison County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Madison County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Madison County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Madison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
The Madison County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
- County Vital Records Held at the OHS
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Ohio Marriage Project
- Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1800-1962
- Ohio, Births and Christenings, 1821-1962
- Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958
- Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950
- Ohio Marriage Index, 1970, 1972-2007
- Ohio Marriages, 1803-1900
- Ohio Divorce Index, 1962-1963, 1967-1971, 1973-2007
- Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
- Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953
- Ohio, Death Index, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
- Ohio Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2007
Madison County, OH Census Records
What Madison County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Madison County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Madison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Madison County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
Madison County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Madison County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Madison County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Ohio Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Madison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 N. Main St., London 43140-0000
- Phone: (740) 852-2972
- Madison County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 852-0756
- Marriage Records: 1810
- Probate Records: 1810
- Madison County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (740) 852-1854
- Land Records: 1810
- Madison County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740) 845-1780
- Court Records: 1810
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Madison County USGenWeb Archives Project
Madison County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Madison County, OH?
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Madison County Chapter - OGS, PO Box 102, London, OH 43140-0102; Phone: (740) 852-0232; This OGS Chapter focuses on genealogy, history, and preservation of records, and publication.
- Madison County Historical Society, PO Box 124, London, OH 43140-0124; Phone: (740) 852-2977; The Madison County Historical Society's museum was established over 15 years ago to preserve and interpret Madison County history. The main museum building houses many permanent exhibits. A variety of exhibit buildings are on the grounds. During the summer the museum is open on Wednesday and Sunday afternoons only from 1 to 4 P.M.
- Plain City Historical Society, 341 N Chillicothe St, Plain City, OH 43064-1063; Phone: (614) 873-4942; The Plain City Historical Society is a working group that collects and records historical information on the town and its people. It is currently putting local history information in the local library.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Madison County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Madison County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Madison County.
Madison Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Madison Co. OH Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Madison Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Madison Co. OH General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Ohio
- Madison County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- The History of Madison County, Ohio : containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, churches, schools, etc., genera (search.ancestry.com)
- Madison County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Madison County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Madison Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Madison County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Madison County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Madison (cyndislist.com)
- Madison Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Madison County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Madison Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Madison Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Madison Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Madison Co. OH Military Records